cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does any seller stay here.....

Just curious how many sellers out there have experienced the devastating affects of this "new ebay".

In 25 years of as an ebay seller and many other marketplaces....I've never seen this much destruction, especially during a time when all other marketplaces are booming, and changing policies to get more sellers on their platforms. 

It's truly AMAZING how ebay can for example allow a buyer to open commit fraud, send emails with profanity, racism and threats, causing our legal counsel to contact law enforcement. But ebay does nothing, in fact the buyer who sent the messages etc, did that before the order was even shipped. Consultation with ebay and were told to send the order anyway. Seriously? And wow total shocker that said buyer would then file a claim and of course be rewarded by ebay with a full refund and no return necessary. 

This is but only 1 of hundreds of problems we have faced during this "transition" time. 

So I am just wondering how many others out there have had similar issues? I know many will say all is good and they are happy. I get it that we aren't the only sellers on ebay....but just for the sake of this subject, let's keep it to simply grievances in hopes that maybe ebay may see this thread and actually do something to REALLY help sellers and not just say they will. 

Stay safe everyone and look forward to hearing some experiences from other sellers....

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

@amazinblazin wrote:

Just curious how many sellers out there have experienced the devastating affects of this "new ebay".

So I am just wondering how many others out there have had similar issues?

Stay safe everyone and look forward to hearing some experiences from other sellers....

You don't need to be curious or to wonder or to look forward to hearing anyone else's experiences. Just read the threads on this board. Read the threads on the Payments board. In just a few pages on each of those two boards (as well as others, I'm sure), you'll read dozens upon dozens of stories just like yours.

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

I would have said because of the traffic eBay can provide buyer wise, cheaper than B&M stores, good to work from home..............

Now, sadly, my response is 'I have no freaking idea to be honest'

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 3 of 44
latest reply

I guess it would depend on what you classify as "devastating"?

We were invited to MP last October and have honestly, minus tonight, had no issues at all.  We sell here and River and yes, it has been frustrating the past 45-60 days.  Devastating?  No.  We have been here over 17 years.  Lots of changes and obstacles during that time.  Is this the worst it has ever been?  No - I don't think so.  It is a total cluster-cluck some days?  Evidently.  People seem to really hate change and refuse to embrace it.

As a Seller - I am glad to see that soon, all Sellers will potentially receive a 1099 for their sales on this site.  Other sites closed that loophole years ago.  So much "panic" and evidently, many who were not reporting all or some of their earnings on this site.

The on-going issues with Fraud that posters deluge the boards with is concerning.  Seems like it is on-fire for some categories.  But no real way to know - just what you read on these boards.  Millions of transactions, so hard to know what the real percentages are, if it has escalated, etc.

Why do Sellers stay?  Because currently, for many, the Rewards outweigh the Risks.  If that changes for us, we'll re-assess and concentrate more on the River.  But there are many things the River is not suited for.  And many other sites, but not much traffic.

We have yet to find a platform that is a one-size fits all.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 44
latest reply

Just to answer the question in the title. Because I make money and it is the best place I can find to do so. 

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

I'll leave when eBay closes or if I quit making money.

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

I was asking myself that same question for quite a while before COVID.  After that, I "enjoyed" my best 14 months ever on this site.  Now, except for the occasional excellent day, I'm back to the same thought process.  2 straight weekends when I can't even generate $100.  6 lousy days during the week with 1 good one.  USPS isn't helping the motivation to sell here with their rotten service.   So tired of, "Where is my item?"   I don't know, I'll look for it on my USPS van.   Jessie Crust!!!!  lol  I don't know where you $6 purchase is.  In the mail.   Sorry that I didn't pay $13 for tracking from Canada.  Good luck to us all.    🙂

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

The changes have not been "devastating" to us.........  In my mind NOTHING could be worse than the Stores in search/not in search debacle in 2007 (?). 

The bottom line is........the bottom line.........we make money on Ebay, the changes are momentary stressors that we deal with and move on.........

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

As a Seller - I am glad to see that soon, all Sellers will potentially receive a 1099 for their sales on this site.  Other sites closed that loophole years ago.  So much "panic" and evidently, many who were not reporting all or some of their earnings on this site.

I am a small seller / reducing my household goods and other family members.
I shouldn't received a 1099, even in the year I made $2,000. (the highest amount).

It's ridiculous to get a 1099 for $600 or more, now.  You have to set up a business and then reduce the expenses and such for a tax preparer to charge $200-300 for just that separate tax forms.

Unlike a lot of you, since this is my personal inventory/household items, I still have receipts from 7th grade ( Over 50 years). I can offset the income easily.  The tax preparer can say that the items I sold has less value, but I wasn't given a chance in the prior years to use depreciation to reduce my income from those items that eventually became items I sold.  (Some may understand what I am saying here.  ex: I have managed forest that gets select cut every 5 years. The year it gets cut, I make $6,000, but I am allowed during the 5 years for the depreciation of the lumber. )

I have stopped selling on eBay as of July 2020 because the final nail of managed payment and have put my effort in the 4 shops on eBid.  Less stress, I am the boss.

I have made a few more purchases here and I have one more before I will only buy any toner cartridges or poly mailers.  Who cares about eBay when eBay should of cared about the sellers.

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

The pandemic surge was bound to end on here and the people watching the stocks are also figuring the stocks will now  plummet. We were all very fortunate on here during the pandemic to get extra customers on here. Now the challenge here is to try to continue as best we can.  The other thing to prepare for is perhaps more selling schemes and extra costs to sell on here so ebay can generate more revenue for themselves. 

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

@amazinblazin wrote:

I know many will say all is good and they are happy. I get it that we aren't the only sellers on ebay....but just for the sake of this subject, let's keep it to simply grievances

So let's get this straight:

You start a topic with the subject "Why does any seller stay here" and then in that topic, you say "just for the sake of this subject, let's keep it to simply grievances"

Any you say that "many will say all is good and they are happy" but you clearly don't want to hear the experiences of the sellers who seem to be doing well and making it work here. 

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

That is what I am saying! It’s like us old timers are sitting around saying you youngsters haven’t seen anything. Remember the storm of 2007. 

We have adapted to change and kept rolling. 

Message 12 of 44
latest reply

Resilience.

I've been here over 20 years, and in that time, ebay has made many changes. The economy has gone up and down. The demand for select items has gone up, and has gone down. Sourcing has become far more competitive.  Buyer expectations have increased here and elsewhere. Mobile has changed how people shop. So.....many, many changes since I started here, some of them ebay changes, some not. 

I'm still here, whatever changes ebay has made in the last year or two , just as in the last 20 plus years, I've adapted to. 

If  I can no longer adapt, I'll move on.  

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

Because the money is good if one can be both patient and flexible.  I think those of us who came from years of operating brick-and-mortars may have the advantage because we had to: 

Meet all the licensing, code, and tax requirements of city, county, state, and federal governments, and then deal with frequent changes to all those requirements. 

Find, and keep, good wholesalers and supppliers, and meet the different ordering, shipping, returns, and billing deals made with each and with periodic changes to all those.

Handle with gingerly politeness the non-stop requests from community groups, schools, youth athletic organizations, et al, for donations and sponsorships.

Manage to stay afloat when all motor traffic to your location is stopped for weeks while a major water and sewer upgrade is completed.   Then, when things return to normal, deal with a sudden 27% drop in sales because after that, the city changed the parking pattern and cost.  (Specific examples, but such and similar things happen constantly.) 

Learn to accept that shoplifting is common, and it's done by the most respectable looking and least furtive of people.

Find a way to smile when someone's precious, and completely unruly, child ruins displays and inventory. 

Deal daily, face to face, with the general public, from the salt of the earth to the, literally, dangerously degranged. 

I could go on, but you get the idea:   You wanted only grievances.  Well, retail selling has a multitude of them, with constant change being one.   Nothing is easy, and nothing is predictable.  And no one will, or should, look out for your interests in this challenging landscape except you.

=

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

Sorry.  No idea why there's exgtra spacing between the paragraphs, and I've run out of editing time.

-

Message 15 of 44
latest reply