cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why aren't we paying taxes no more?

I sold 3 sweatshirt and realized that it doesnt show "taxes ebay collected", it just says $0.00.

I checked my other sold items and they got that charge. I've noticed this on other sites that they aren't charging sales taxes, anyone know why?

Screenshot 2021-08-20 21.37.45.png

Screenshot 2021-08-20 21.37.49.png

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Why aren't we paying taxes no more?

Sales tax is based on the location of the buyer, not the location of the seller.  Many states, including my own, do not charge any sales tax on clothing.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@poroscarodr wrote:

I sold 3 sweatshirt and realized that it doesnt show "taxes ebay collected", it just says $0.00.

I checked my other sold items and they got that charge. I've noticed this on other sites that they aren't charging sales taxes, anyone know why?

10% of the states do not have a sales tax. 

Were you shipping these items to a state that does not have a sales tax? 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

But I used to buy on oher sites and I was always charged sales taxes, and I've been living in the same place for years. This just started happening about a month ago. I hope I dont get charged everything together later.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Order with 0.00 sales taxes

PA

NJ

NY

MO

With taxes

WV

These are just some examples of my latest sales.

I also checked older orders and they did pay taxes on someone based on PA and NY

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I am in Connecticut and this week is tax free week on clothing for back to school. I think other states also participate.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

That makes so much sense lol

I was so confused about taxes lately, since it was 0.00

Anyone else can confirm this?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

PA and NY are two of the states that don't ever charge sales tax on (most) clothing. So if a buyer in PA or NY bought an item from you that was listed in the Clothing category, eBay would not collect sales tax. But if they bought an item from you in a taxable category, then eBay would charge them the sales tax.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Also: the state of Delaware has no sales tax on purchases within the state.  
This is the reason why many Russian buyers have contracted with freight-forwarding companies located in Delaware.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I am looking at your example and it shows shipping $8.85 and underneath that shows "sales tax collected by EBAY collected .91 cents.

Sales tax is charged based on which State item is shipped to.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Could be the state has no sales tax or sales tax on clothes. Could also be the account is set up to be tax exempt. My seller account is set up that way, whereas, this one pays sales tax if I buy something on it.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply