cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Keep Top Rated Seller Status?

I am a top rated seller and I am now really considering dropping my Top Rated Seller status. I sell on average about 10 K per month (TRS discount use to be %20) and I would get a pretty decent discount at the end of the month and it would be "worth" it. 

Since the update last year to extend the return days requirement to 30 days, I have had a few buyers that have waited nearly a month to return an item. Not enough to make me want to drop my status, but a couple of those items were $100 or more and in one case, I had a buyer return a $300 pair of shoes after 28 days "too tight". They were obviously worn out a handful of times but there is nothing I can do about it. Not only do I have to accept this obvious rental, the once $300 shoes are now worth about $200. 

Now that eBay has increased performance standards, dropped the discount from 20% to 10%, and are telling us that if we don't offer 60 DAY RETURNS and FREE RETURN SHIPPING our listings will be buried at the bottom, even as a top rated seller, what is the point? I am really considering dropping the TRS by my name and offering 14 day returns (like what most clothing/shoe dealers should allow).

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Why Keep Top Rated Seller Status?

You are not the only TRS who feels this way, I'm finding it harder and harder to do business with a company that has lost it's integrity, shafts it's members who made eBay, then rolls out the Welcome Mat for sellers from China. Good Luck to you.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

are telling us that if we don't offer 60 DAY RETURNS and FREE RETURN SHIPPING our listings will be buried at the bottom, even as a top rated seller, what is the point?

Where are they telling you that?  Can you give the source?

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

Check the 2017 Summer Seller update. 

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

There is no reason I can see to keep jumping through the hoops. 60 day returns on second hand items? No thanks. My slated for ebay pile fits in a box these days. The fleas have been my bread and butter lately, along with the other usual avenues.

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

I've been "top rated" since the program started, never lost for even 1 month.

I had 30 day returns, 1 day handling and free shipping!

Now since they changed the discount I am 14 day returns, 2 day handling and actual postage + 10%

eBay forced my hand and I DON'T bluff. . .I got a ROYAL FLUSH ~ LOL

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

@retronmore wrote:

Check the 2017 Summer Seller update. 

I have..........and can find nothing about " listings will be buried at the bottom, even as a top rated seller" w/o 60 free returns.........

They are talking about putting a 30/60 day return filter in, just as they have a free shipping filter, but nothing says they will penalize listings that don't comply with 60 day/free return.

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

I believe 60 day returns and free returns are still options for TRS.  

When you do the math, you will see that it might not be worth it, even with 30 day returns.  That is what I decided.  

Now the only thing left to be determined, is how losing the badge affects sales.  It's not looking this month.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

@retronmore wrote:

I am a top rated seller and I am now really considering dropping my Top Rated Seller status. I sell on average about 10 K per month (TRS discount use to be %20) and I would get a pretty decent discount at the end of the month and it would be "worth" it. 

Since the update last year to extend the return days requirement to 30 days, I have had a few buyers that have waited nearly a month to return an item. Not enough to make me want to drop my status, but a couple of those items were $100 or more and in one case, I had a buyer return a $300 pair of shoes after 28 days "too tight". They were obviously worn out a handful of times but there is nothing I can do about it. Not only do I have to accept this obvious rental, the once $300 shoes are now worth about $200. 

Now that eBay has increased performance standards, dropped the discount from 20% to 10%, and are telling us that if we don't offer 60 DAY RETURNS and FREE RETURN SHIPPING our listings will be buried at the bottom, even as a top rated seller, what is the point? I am really considering dropping the TRS by my name and offering 14 day returns (like what most clothing/shoe dealers should allow).

If you feel like you are having to jump through hoops and the 10% isn't worth it, then by all means change how you do business. It's a business decision that only you can make. 

The way I've done business has always just fallen in line with the TRS requirements. I am not changing anything. I don't feel like I'm doing anything out of the ordinary to get 10% off, so I will keep on keeping on. 

In the end, everyone has a different opinion on this. Do what the data tells you that you should do. Good luck to you.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

Right they are putting in a filter, so buyers can search for sellers that offer 60 day returns and free return shipping. He said it wasn't mandatory for TRS to offer it now, but it would be to OUR ADVANTAGE to offer it so we would come up in the filter search. So what that means to me and most sellers here, we will get buried if we don't offer it.
Message 10 of 47
latest reply

I didn't have a problem with the 30 day return, it's the 60 day return and free returns. That I can not swallow. People order the wrong sizes all the time, and I have to pay $8.00 to return some ones mistake. I mostly offer free shipping, so I lose the send shipping and now return shipping. That's $16.00 right there, I don't make that much profit on most items I sell. I'm using these shipping costs because this just happened to me the other day, customer ordered wrong size, free ship $8.00. If I was in the free return business, I would be out $16.00.
Message 11 of 47
latest reply

I have TRS just doing what I usually do. I never tried for it, it just happened. I don't notice it and don't factor any discounts into what I do.  As to returns, I've never had one, so yes I will probably go for the 60 day returns w/free return shipping just to give myself an advantage. I will of course factor that into my pricing. If people want free returns, someone has to pay for it, and it ain't gonna be me.

If returns become a problem, I'll discontinue.  All I can do is try and see what happens.  If I sold clothes or jewelry or electronics or other  high fraud or "rentable" items I'm quite sure I'd feel differently.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 47
latest reply

So what that means to me and most sellers here, we will get buried if we don't offer it.

If that were true, you'd be buried because you don't offer free shipping........  the filter is/will be in the case of returns a "choice" the buyer has.  If everyone uses it, your items won't show up at all to anyone.......but how many will use it  is the gamble you take with this and not offering free shipping.....

As others have said, choice is up to the individual.......what I DON'T like is people putting statements out attributable to Ebay which are, in fact, their own opinions......  Fine if that's what you believe, just don't state it as a fact. 

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

While I am not  a TRS seller - lost that while ago due to low annual unit volume - but those that  who used to receive a 20% FVF discount but now will only receive a 10% needs to ask them selves what plans do they have to make up the  loss of profit even with  a discount reduction if they forefit their TRS requirements.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 14 of 47
latest reply

Correct. I am not saying that a seller that does not opt for 60 day returns and free return shipping will be penalized per se, it's just that the sellers that comply with these new stipulations get a higher seeding in "Best Match" search results. 

Message 15 of 47
latest reply