cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who files insurance - buyer or seller

Buyer says it's broken and asked about insurance. Who files claim?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The seller refunds the buyer and files the claim

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Doesn't the post office want the packing for the claim?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Ask the buyer for a few pictures of the item and package, then refund the buyer.
Have the buyer hang on to the item and package so it can be inspected.
You file a claim with the carrier.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

If buyer can show photos of it broken...although buyer doesn't have to...it would prove it was broken and a refund should be issued by the seller.

How quickly you take care of the buyer is important...got that feedback hanging around.

Would I want something returned if it was broken as a seller...me...personally...no...if I can see in photos it is broken.

Will the post office paid for broken item...USPS will usually take care of a lost item.

But usually post office will just say it wasn't packed very good.

You can try for an insurance claim...doesn't hurt.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

As of now no case, just a message with a 1x1.5 inch photo of who can tell what. Told them to open a return for refund.

And it just dawned on me, they bought two listings sent together so even though they keep one item they get all the shipping back. 

In sixty years of doing mail order have never and will never bother filing a claim with post office.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Could be an interesting return as I have had all items need to go back like that in past if they are all part of 1 order together. Also depends on the type of return request opened.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

For USPS either the shipper (seller) or the buyer (receiver) can file the claim with USPS. However, it is much easier for the buyer (receiver) to do so since USPS will likely require the receiver to bring the item into their local post office along with the original packing to validate the claim. If they approve the claim there are a couple options they will offer depending on the extent of the damage. They will either keep the item and the packing and fully refund or possibly make an offer of a partial refund to allow for the repair of the item and let the receiver keep the item. 

The receiver will also probably need your personal email address, or you will need the buyers, to allow USPS to contact you to verify some things. Unlike lost package claims damage claims can be a bit more difficult to win. I have had a few over the years and the only ones I have ever won were where I had collaboration from the buyer/receiver. Even those that I had filed as the receiver/buyer took some collaboration from the seller/sender. 

If you shipped other than USPS the carriers processes may vary from the above I have only ever filed claims with USPS. Following is the timeline for filing claims with USPS. 

time.jpg

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Wound up that the tiny photo in the message that we couldn't make bigger, when it's in the return notice it opens and showed one of both listings broken. So they got their money back and it 'cost' us the $8.00 shipping. Items were free.

Just another part of doing ebay.

Thanks for the answers.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

USPS insurance for damage is very nearly worthless, 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I have never had a problem with a claim, and I have filed several for damage,  but as I noted in my earlier response it takes collaboration between the seller and the buyer to prevail with USPS. Probably the easiest one was when I took the package with the tire track through it into the post office for claim inspection, for that one I didn't have to get the seller involved other than to have them verify they had not refunded me. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

always should be  seller 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@a-lotta-stuff wrote:

Buyer says it's broken and asked about insurance. Who files claim?

Insurance is really for the seller, because eBay gives buyers a money-back-guarantee. 

Buyers have little incentive to cooperate with insurance claims, because eBay already guarantees them. 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

In sixty years of doing mail order have never and will never bother filing a claim with post office.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't either, I filed 5 or 6 claims with USPS in the last 20 years and they paid zero. I filed with UPS and FedEx and got reimbursed.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't either, I filed 5 or 6 claims with USPS in the last 20 years and they paid zero. I filed with UPS and FedEx and got reimbursed.

I have filed a number of claims with USPS, 3 in the last 6-7 months for lost packages. All were quickly approved and I received a check from USPS in 2-3 weeks. Damaged claims are a bit more challenging and I have won some of those and lost some of those. If it's a small dollar item it's probably not worth your time to file a claim. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply