cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who are chinese sellers really?

Ever ask yourself: Who are chinese sellers really?

You see them all over ebay. 

In many cases they have multiple accounts with tens of thousands of feedbacks (seemingly impossible for an individual seller to attain in even just a year or two).  These accounts if you look closely all have the same identical items and photos too. Seems a little strange right?

Ever wonder if EBAY just buys freight cars and warehouses in China full of cheap chinese junk then creates fake seller accounts or dropship accounts that are actually run by ebay themselves? I am really starting to wonder if thats the case.

If so (and I am not certain) wouldnt that be giving those sellers an unfair advantage (in both feedbacks and listings) if they can make such accounts with false feedbacks?

Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

Re: Who are chinese sellers really?

If you look at the MIC items for sale at WM, most are MIC by other companies than WM. There's very little they sell which is manufactured under their own branding.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 16 of 98
latest reply

In many cases they have multiple accounts with tens of thousands of feedbacks (seemingly impossible for an individual seller to attain in even just a year or two).

Someone selling a commodity item at dirt cheap prices with shipping underwritten by the Chinese government should have no problem getting thousands of feedback. Heck, I get 500 feedback a year selling obscure music memorabilia that few people want.

These accounts if you look closely all have the same identical items and photos too. Seems a little strange right?

Not to me. I see plenty of USA sellers who also use stock photos and/or dropshipping services. In fact, some sellers here even pay a dropshipping company a monthly for the "privilege" of selling exactly the same thing that other sellers are offering.

If so (and I am not certain) wouldnt that be giving those sellers an unfair advantage (in both feedbacks and listings) if they can make such accounts with false feedbacks?

If the wild accusations you have made - with absolutely no evidence - are true, then yes that would be an unfair advantage. But I think your accusations are completely without merit.

Message 17 of 98
latest reply

My point is there is no way a chinese seller is paying monthly .35 cents or even .10 cents each for 2000 listings thats like $2000 a month even at 10 cents each.  $24,000 a year --- and if they have 4 accounts thats $100,000 a year just to list and sell here.

Can you see why it might be questionable?

Message 18 of 98
latest reply

No emerald40.

You like to flaunt ebays numbers. "80% of the items sold on ebay are new".

And you are correct. There are about two million cell phone cases listed for one cent or less. With free shipping.

How many one cent beads? With free shipping? I dont want to know.

80% is a lot of quantity, not a lot of revenue.

No more individual sellers. I will be happy to supply you with direct ebay quotes to that effect. You can really go to town here with those quotes.

Only big business sellers now. But their items are from China. I like Chinese people. They work hard.

Thoae ebay businesses, the big ebay sellers that ebay is cultivating will be slaughtered in one fast update. They got all the chinese souvenirs you can sell in "warehouses all over the world".

Unless someone bought them first. Which, I believe, is Plan A.

Message 19 of 98
latest reply

They've already removed any seller name from search results.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 20 of 98
latest reply

@paulie_58 wrote:

My point is there is no way a chinese seller is paying monthly .35 cents or even .10 cents each for 2000 listings thats like $2000 a month even at 10 cents each. $24,000 a year --- and if they have 4 accounts thats $100,000 a year just to list and sell here.

Can you see why it might be questionable?

Just a quick math note:  2,000 listings at 10 cents each is $200, not $2,000.

But that is really beside the point, because, with a premium store subscription a seller gets 1,500 free listings fors just $60 per month.

So the four accounts you claim would cost a total of $100,000 a year would actually only total about $4400 a year. And an anchor store costs $3600 a year and gives you 10,000 listings a month.

I do not see this as questionable once the misinformation in your post is cleared up.

Message 21 of 98
latest reply

@annindallas wrote:
No emerald40.

Although, this is the first intelligent comment I've seen you post.

You like to flaunt ebays numbers. "80% of the items sold on ebay are new".

And you are correct. There are about two million cell phone cases listed for one cent or less. With free shipping.

How many one cent beads? With free shipping? I dont want to know.

80% is a lot of quantity, not a lot of revenue.

Look. You won. Game over. I dont know what kind of Kimchi they're eat in San Jose, but they're high.

No more individual sellers. I will be happy to supply you with direct ebay quotes to that effect. You can really go to town here with those quotes.

Only big business sellers now. But their items are from China. I like Chinese people. They work hard.

Its not the Chinese for which we have angst. But when you gloat, when you tell us fake ebay news, all I can think is:

Just watch. Your time is coming.

Thoae ebay businesses, the big ebay sellers that ebay is cultivating will be slaughtered in one fast update. They got all the chinese souvenirs you can sell in "warehouses all over the world".

Unless someone bought them first. Which, I believe, is Plan A.

Mixing me up with someone else.  I never post number, percentages, etc.

I do not compete with the Chinese.  

I sell high quality diamond and other fine jewelry.  I have my niche, and they are not a part of it.

As for my time coming, 19 years, and I am still here,

Kimchi?  San Jose - Wrong Coast.  I have posted over and over thatI live in Rhode Island.  

It has been said over and over - those who sell  tchotchkes are not going to survive here. 

Message 22 of 98
latest reply

Unless they are chinese then they can sell cheap garbage all day long. 

My point is I dont think they are even real people they are shill accounts run by ebay that dropship cheap items from china and dont pay regular seller fees and keep all the sales and money in ebays coffers. 

I am starting to wonder if the ads in our own listings ebay puts there its the same story ebay themselves dropshipping the same things we sell to make a buck for themselves without paying a fee or for shipping like we do.

Message 23 of 98
latest reply

@paulie_58 wrote:

They are way way different in that they pay .30 cents postage when we pay $7-15 postage for the same items domestic shipping. To say nothing of global shipping.

Good for them. I still don't see them as any different than any other seller. You might, good for you, whatever gets you through the day. But they aren't any different to me than you are.

Message 24 of 98
latest reply

@paulie_58 wrote:

Unless they are chinese then they can sell cheap garbage all day long. 

My point is I dont think they are even real people they are shill accounts run by ebay that dropship cheap items from china and dont pay regular seller fees and keep all the sales and money in ebays coffers. 

I am starting to wonder if the ads in our own listings ebay puts there its the same story ebay themselves dropshipping the same things we sell to make a buck for themselves without paying a fee or for shipping like we do.

My tin foil hat is in the cleaners.

I do notbelieve in conspiracy theories.

Ebay is not perfect and they make some bone headed decisions.

But they are not dumb enough to torpedo their site.

Like I said I do not deal with Chinese sellers.  I do not buy from them or compete with them.  For me they are a non entity.

My problem is dishonest sellers right here in the US and all the games and lying they do in their listings.

Message 25 of 98
latest reply

1. The Asian sellers live where products are made for distribution worldwide. 
  2. Many probably work at the factories. 
  3. They have access to products at less than a penny on the dollar. 

On a .99 cent listing with free shipping it is still profitable for them. example below

1.  item costs 0.03
  2. selling fees ebay + Paypal 0.20
  3. shipping 0.67 (lowest epacket price)
  4. shipping supplies 0.04 (they buy them wholesale right where they are made)
  5. equals = 0.94 USD
  6. Profit 0.06 cents USD

The average daily income (2015)

The average factory worker in China earns $27.50 per day, compared with $8.60 in Indonesia and $6.70 in Vietnam.  I do not know how many hours in a day this number covers?

Selling one hundred .99 items per day produces 6.00+ dollars to there daily income or about 25%.  This number goes up dramatically every time the same buyer buys more than one listing which would get shipped together.  It is completely possible they make more on the one hundred 0.99 orders than they do in the factory job?

the average yearly income was

According to CNN's online global wage calculator, which uses data from the International Labor Organization, the average annual salary of a worker in China's private sector was 28,752 yuan (about $4,755) in 2012, or 38% of the global average.

It is really simple to see why these sellers are here on eBay selling.  They have an advantage over others sellers by way of volume.  the epacket price is not a big advantage to them.  The advantage is there ability to source products at prices they can sell them at the prices they do and still turn a profit. 

Many here in this thread have said repeatedly they would never spend the time to sell under 20.00 that it is just not worth the time to them.  I get it and so do the asian sellers.  It is about volume that they have a never ending supply so the profit per order does not have to be great.   There cost of living is considerable lower than ours so the 0.6 profit per 0.99 cent order is probably looked at by them as very good.  They undertsand the volume selling model way better than we do.

Also about eBay liking the Asian sellers.  I guess they do when single asian sellers can turn hundreds of transaction daily albeit lower total amounts against US based sellers who complain every day about no sales for days and weeks at a time. 

In other words the small amounts add up much higher than the zero amounts day after day from the US sellers.

China has just under 1.5 Billion citizens and only about 10% are 60 years or older.  The potential for sellers from China is overwhelming and will increase as long as US sellers refuse to participate in this sector. 

Good Luck Selling!

Message 26 of 98
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:

If you look at the MIC items for sale at WM, most are MIC by other companies than WM. There's very little they sell which is manufactured under their own branding.

Yes, but gracie's post is not entirely off the mark.  It isn't WM branded, but WM imposes pricing pressure on all suppliers, including the Chinese, and will impose quality control requirements on the Chinese suppliers as well.  They may not actually own or run the factory, but they do help to manage them as a WM supplier. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 27 of 98
latest reply

My tin foil hat is in the cleaners.

I do notbelieve in conspiracy theories.

Ebay is not perfect and they make some bone headed decisions.

But they are not dumb enough to torpedo their site.

And I don't think they're smart enough to run a bunch of shill accounts and make any money at it, or run a Chinese factory either. 

Message 28 of 98
latest reply

I mean - Let's face it - You take a chance when buying some of these things - None of the jewelry is authentic - I don't know how they get away with it.  If anyone thinks they are getting a Sterling Silver Ring 925 for $2 or $3 Dollars - they deserve to get ripped off.  And the sizing in their clothes is way off - unless you order 2 or 3 sizes larger than you usually take.   So it is buyer beware.  They sell in bulk that's they make money.   And their employees make hardly nothing - so there is no overhead.  

Message 29 of 98
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@paulie_58 wrote:

They are way way different in that they pay .30 cents postage when we pay $7-15 postage for the same items domestic shipping. To say nothing of global shipping.

The lowest epacket is a white envelope which costs 0.74 yen = .67 cents USD.  Additionally they can not have any packages over 4.4 lbs and use this service. 

Here is a screenshot of the current rates

aaaaa china post rates.jpg

Good Luck Selling! 

To be clear, the ePacket rates on the Asia end are for aggregated weights.  So if they ship thirty two 1 Oz. packets, they pay the 2 lb. rate on that chart for the entire 32 items.  The 4.4 lb (2 kilo) upper limit is correct.

I have no idea where that Yen - Cents stuff came from, Yen is Japanese, but that's not the correct conversion for yen anyhow.

Message 30 of 98
latest reply