cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which design do you like better? I'm updating all my listings, and would love opinions.

Here's my original type of listing design:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183547350740?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Here's a new one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182386081190?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

After doing the new one, my mom and I wondered if it was "colder" and less appealing. Or it looks more clean and modern.

(I also need to re-do a bunch of the rest of both pages. But figured I'd start with deciding the basic theme at the top.)

Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Which design do you like better? I'm updating all my listings, and would love opinions.

I have a bunch more driedels and designs coming very shortly, so need to create a bunch of drafts waiting for them.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Re: Which design do you like better? I'm updating all my listings, and would love opinions.

New one......I'm not a big fan of centered text.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Thanks!

I plan to do more left aligning even in the first one.

But not sure which overall design images and colors work...

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I like your second one best of the two.  I too am not a big fan of center designs.  A little of it is fine but it just doesn't flow to me when I'm trying to read it.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Hi @cheri--b 

your new listing format is easier to read, and is cleaner overall.

Ebay has suggested that sellers give up templates, cursive and colored fonts, borders and the like in descriptions, to be replaced with black letters on white backgrounds and text registered on the left like you propose in your updated format.

The reason for this being that 79% of mobile phone users have made a purchase on their  device in the last 6 months in the US. (See link below for more info on eCommerce sales and smartphones.)

So anything included in a listing should be formatted for viewing on mobile phone screens. Templates and the like can make reading a seller’s description difficult. (Ebay offers a mobile screen checker in the advanced listing tool that previews your listing for mobile phones.)

Also i see you have abbreviated some of your terms of sale.  Sometimes lengthy TOS can turn off a prospective buyer, while others simply don’t read it. Having stream-lined terms can avoid bogging down the buyer in lots of text, especially when information is available in other areas of the listing field for terms like refunds, shipping services, and payments.

In addition, a couple of things mentioned in your older example are now against policy, such as including information about your B&M store (seen as encouraging off-site sales) and stating that refunds will withhold shipping and seller’s fees from return funds (considered a restocking fee).

...Nov 8, 2019 · Around 100 million U.S. consumers own tablets. 79% of smartphone users have made a purchase online using their mobile device in the last 6 months. Almost 40% of all eCommerce purchases during the 2018 holiday season were made on a smartphone. eCommerce dollars now comprise 10% of ALL retail revenue...”

https://www.outerboxdesign.com/web-design-articles/mobile-ecommerce-statistics

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

IMO- the new layout is much better and more appealing. 

Since you're asking for advice I'm going to throw this out. There is a lot of text in your listings. As a buyer myself I would not be reading all of that and would hit the back button before purchasing. When I first started to sell on here I used to write long text like you do, full of details and interesting background. I got some complaints and modified my listings. Almost immediately I found that the shorter the text, the more I sold.

I then started changing all of my listings and cutting out all that excessive details. It was obvious to me that no one was reading all of it anyways. In the end it saved me time to do my listings and here I am still selling all these years later. So my advice is to do more editing on your wording. Best of luck to you....

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Definitely the second one and I would even cut it back.  I wouldn't use different colors and extra unnecessary verbiage.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

On the first one, the right-hand text is truncated on my ancient museum-worthy iPhone.  The second one displays better, but I hate the boxes.  On both, I am turned off by the greyed out text that is really just search term spamming. 

But that aside, I don't think the colors and text alignment and boxes in listings are what sell the item. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote: ...  On both, I am turned off by the greyed out text that is really just search term spamming. ...

IMHO the grayed-out terms in the older version aren't search spamming, since they are just synonyms and alternate spellings for legitimate keywords for this listing. OTOH, the newer version has added bar mitzvah and bat mitzvah; I'm not sure how relevant those are.

General comments The newer version is better mostly because it's simpler, especially the shorter TOS and left-justified text, but you don't need  the boxes. As others have said, the references to your store might be seen as a policy violation ( soliciting off-eBay transactions).

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

They look identical on mobile so why bother with a cutie design at all?
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

The second option is easier to read.

The presence of sponsored items at the location in your listing, interferes with the continuity of your listing when your listing is being read.

Can these sponsored items  be moved to another location in this listing, preferably shown only at the end of the listing.

You may have the option to prevent the sponsored items from showing in your listing

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

That's interesting! I'll look for that pattern of more sales with less text.

I've had the new design for a while on the oblong dreidels ... yet those haven't sold, while I went out of stock on the other designs.

So have to wonder why. It could be the photos, though they don't seem worse than any other listing of mine.

I planned with this update to reduce a lot of the text and to left align, no matter what design I used.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Without the boxes wouldn't it seem like a lot of text without much definition? Is it better without the borders, but keep the tinted backgrounds around the different parts of the listing?

In general, I'm hearing the message of cut down on words, but even once I do, the boxes are still a question.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I had asked ebay about the words, and they seemed okay with them. But if I put them in regular color and simply say they are alternative words for searching, that may make them look less "cluggy" and secretive.

I'll remove the box borders. Am thinking that background shading may still help make them more readable than if it's just text without any definition...?
Message 15 of 18
latest reply