cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where in the world has common sense gone? Is that now banned?

I volunteer twice weekly at my local thrift shop. It's very rewarding and I feel lucky to be used there for my knowledge. We don't  always get primo items donated, dirty, broken, stained linens come to mind but yesterday took the cake.

Unloaded a huge box I discover a smaller box, oh goody jewelry I thought. Opened up the box and there was a handgun, semi 22 automatic along with a big box of bullets?? What on this earth were these people thinking when they donated this?

Seriously folks, this is madness and they cannot think for one minute that we are going to put this item up for sale for 10 bucks or do they? "Climate change?" How about " Brain b gone change".

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

At the church thrift, we would get hunting knives, fish knives that could cut bone, etc.  Some in a sheeth, some not.  Got a stun gun once.  Some Katanas.

Got a box labeled Christmas filled with little baggies of weed once.  Evidently their Holidays were "special".  Lol. 

My point being it was a church thrift and still many inappropriate items.  Weapons, Prescriptions, nude mags, sex toys....lol

People just don't "think". 

Sorry about your day.  Have been there.  Hundreds of hours sorting stuff(s) that really should have been discarded and not repurposed. 

Also, many times now - Grandma moves to a facility and family hires an entity to go thru the home and get everything out.  Those teams just grab what is boxed and dump them in a truck. 

We would find more heirlooms, jewelry, money, important papers, etc hidden among the mundane.  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

Bummer .22 😐

.44 Magnum or bust 😘

Was that 5 shots or 6?Was that 5 shots or 6?

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

are you sure it might be a starter pistol?

Message 3 of 51
latest reply

They probably didn't know it was in there.

Message 4 of 51
latest reply

Annie Oakley: "Oh, goody! Jewelry!" 🤣

Message 5 of 51
latest reply

Adult kids could've been piling up/boxing up stuff from Mom/Dad's house for a few weeks, sold what they could and then 'donated' the rest? Whoever took it in probably didn't realize it was in there. 

Message 6 of 51
latest reply

Well there was another one in that box that looked like a black gloc, but it was a pellet gun. So on top of everything else I have to take care of, now I have to handle weapons!!!

Gosh I just hate STUPID!

Message 7 of 51
latest reply

Madness is someone thinking the person knew it was in the box.

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

@daneiac wrote:

are you sure it might be a starter pistol?

No it was real, I have one.

Message 9 of 51
latest reply

I would hand it in to the police, putting it into a charity bin is just another way of dumping a weapon

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 10 of 51
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

Opened up the box and there was a handgun, semi 22 automatic along with a big box of bullets?? What on this earth were these people thinking when they donated this?

Seriously folks, this is madness and they cannot think for one minute that we are going to put this item up for sale for 10 bucks or do they? 

It is quite possible they were cleaning out a relative's house and simply did not know it was in there.

Especially since it was in a small box inside a larger box. 

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Annie Oakley: "Oh, goody! Jewelry!" 🤣

Lol! And normally I would have been in a playful mood as my hair was especially  pink yesterday and fresh Harley tats were up and down my arm (weren't  real they were donated) Good Randy Travis music playing....but seeing that gun yesterday of all days was a real bummer.

FYI: 4th year since the 1 Oct shooting here in Clark County and that killer happened to live in my town.

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

a few thoughts 

1. someone dumping weapon tied to a crime? Video surveillance (if any) should identify person dropping off. I hope your thrift store contacted the local police to pick up and investigate. 

2. If this was from an estate that was being cleaned out, possibly the younger family generation did not work through the belongings and just packed up and dropped off. I have been told by a few of my older neighbors, their children / grandchildren don't want nothing to do with their collectables / antiques. It's all about their internet / phone / social media and possibly just wanting to sell the home for quick cash. 

Message 13 of 51
latest reply

It was probably just an error.  Don't let your brain explode over it.  Hand it over to the police.

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

@vintage-camerastuff wrote:

It was probably just an error.  Don't let your brain explode over it.  Hand it over to the police.

Yes indeed. This is getting way over-thunk. Just phone the non-emergency number for your local police, and ask them to have somebody swing by to collect it. Life goes on.

Message 15 of 51
latest reply