cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you change with eBay as a seller?

I'm curious as to what suggestions you might offer to make selling on eBay a better experience?

Try to keep it under 100 suggestion and ten-thousand words.... (snicker, snicker)

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: What would you change with eBay as a seller?

And while I'm at it.......

STOP UPDATING MY LISTINGS WITHOUT MY CONSENT!

Your item has been listed for more than a week, but views are low compared to other similar listings. The price may be too high. Letting buyers make offers will increase your chance of selling.

It is the only one of it's kind listed right now. it is a niche item. It is listed at a ridiculously low price right now. I will not take less. STOP. 

what "similar listings"?

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 16 of 105
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

why should I have to click used when I'm looking for a mid century item? Personally so sick of vintage reproductions.

While I'm ranting, also so sick of people who don't understand terms.  Sick of not only repros, but also 60s and 70s stuff thrown in the "mid century" listings

I hate to tell you, but having lived through it, the style of the 50s oozed over through the mid 60s.  And then some of it mainstreamed into the 70s.

Actually as a collector, and vintage dealer - I love it when sellers get mid century and mod styles so wrong.  Tells me they have no idea what they are doing and are keyword spamming to find a sucker.  They either will make huge mistakes I can cash in on OR I can totally ignore their offerings.  Either way, I have no respect for those sellers.

(*Bleep*)
Message 17 of 105
latest reply

I think making a clear distinction between new and used is a smart move as well. I would hope that would clear up any confusion for a new buyer, however seeing as that most don't actually read the description, I don't know if it would eliminate that issue.

Message 18 of 105
latest reply

first of all start charging for listings ( that would stop all the "junk"listings and get rid of the scammy sellers)

then get a competant C/S that ACTUALLY knows Ebay and dont read from a script.

get competant techs who know how to write programs for all web browsers

make buyers put a c.c or funding source on file, like MaxAuctions (cut down on nonpaying bidders) have sellers complete a "tutorial" preparing them to sell

If Ebay implements all this,great but its not happening,

Message 19 of 105
latest reply

@gurtrudegilles wrote:

I am one of those sellers who sells new items here because I am more familiar with ebay than amazon. I have considered switching for certain items, but thankfully I've done well here and don't want to mess up a good thing. It's helped me pay for extra costs around the house and it pays for christmas for us. I don't see why you feel threatened by people selling new goods when there is still a huge market for used items here. It doesn't make sense why it should be one or the other when all the buyer has to do is click "new" or "used" in the search filters.

I don't feel threatened as a seller since I don't sell new stuff, but as a buyer I'm tired of weeding through pages of 1940s and 1950s  "vintage style", "vintage inspired" "vintage this, vintage that" NWT fresh from the factory floor items. Filter by used and you get pages and pages of 1940s and 1950s "vintage style", "vintage inspired" "vintage this, vintage that" items that aren't actually vintage but vintage inspired items that were made a few years ago. No, getting rid of new items sure won't help with the latter, but it most definitely will with the former.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 20 of 105
latest reply

@duggmills,

1)   A new buyer requirement that allows sellers to "Block Buyers who:

Have more than ___  Bid Retractions in a ____ month period. Minimum selection 1 for  the first and 2 for the 2nd field.

2)  eBay can easily check members who bid to expose andother member's Max Bid then retracting their winning bid if it is more than they want to pay. The policy against that is already in place, but enforcement is needed. They should do that since that practice is leading to many complaints abuout shill bidding, and it is hurting the reputation of the auction format.

3)  In the Advanced listing Tool,  Automatically center seller generated Terms of sale, and other headers they create and import.  Before the new system I could copy and paste from a template, and did not have to re-space everything manually.

4)  In the Vintage & Collectibles categories allow New Other as an Item Condition option.  There are many items in those categories, that may have an open box, but otherwise have not been used, asembled, or even displayed.

5) Shipping defects should have some a wiggle room, of 48 hours from the time a label is printed, before the first scan shows movement. I've had substitute carriers not scan packages, and they reached a regional center after midnight of the day the item was picked up, and been issued a defect. 

Last Friday 12/15/17 because of 2 back to back snow storms our P.O. called in all of their carriers at 6pm, because so many were stuck on side roads, or couldn't get through the snow. I'm now fighting 5 defects because of that.  Our carrier was only half way through her route at that time. 

"Try to keep it under 100 suggestion and ten-thousand words.... (snicker, snicker)"

That would be funny, if the number of improvements actually needed, did not exceed your parameters.

Message 21 of 105
latest reply

you have to have a credit card on file just to see listings in the adult category.

My best week had maybe a 50% non pay rate. Some weeks out of 30 sales, I'd relist 30 items.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 22 of 105
latest reply

there also those that love love love anthropology style but would never consider something that was used........

It's beyond frustrating but sometimes the "new" vintage stuff sells for so much more than the original.

Message 23 of 105
latest reply

Human beings running the joint not computers

Message 24 of 105
latest reply

Reward users who take the time to identify mistakes, wrong categories, counterfeits, etc.

Improve the online catalog info that shows up with UPC or ISBN numbers.  Reward people for adding and correcting information.

Work with federal law enforcement to crack down on porch pirates and scammers.  

Make all eBay employees from the top on down buy and sell on eBay.   

Message 25 of 105
latest reply

When was the last time you saw a site ran by bots and called a tech giant so technoloy in-ept?? (I keep imaging Roombas deciding cases lol) They probably have plenty of "brains"but no one to implement the ideas!!! all chiefs and no peons

Message 26 of 105
latest reply

@jason_incognito wrote:

there also those that love love love anthropology style but would never consider something that was used........

It's beyond frustrating but sometimes the "new" vintage stuff sells for so much more than the original.

Many collectors of real vintage clothing either never use it or can't fit into it.  As retrose has often said, buyers with the mall shopper mentality don't understand that real vintage sizes are way different than sizes today.  Today's 6 will likely burst out of a vintage size 6 dress like the Hulk.  The fabrics generally don't have much give either.  The "new" vintage stuff has the look but made for bigger bodies and often has generous amounts of spandex blend.   Don't forget people in the 50's didn't eat their body weight in fast food. 

Because there was no fast food.

Joe

Message 27 of 105
latest reply

Ebay is obviously having problems. Sellers are complaining more than ever about lackluster sales on eBay compared with other sites.

This isnt my only selling site and my other is doing exponentially more sales on the exact same listings.

Its all about the money. If sellers arent making money here, they will make it elsewhere.

Sooner or later eBay will lose the sellers that made it great, if things are not corrected. People are shying away from Chinese **bleep** more & more. It will catch up with eBay's stock price...

Message 28 of 105
latest reply

@cruzrbill wrote:

4)  In the Vintage & Collectibles categories allow New Other as an Item Condition option.  There are many items in those categories, that may have an open box, but otherwise have not been used, asembled, or even displayed.

I still think it would be a problem for sellers who end up with a "lowest common denominator" buyer.  I've always sold 50 year old items as used even if still factory sealed and untouched.  My reasoning is if I didn't buy it directly from the manufacturer and/or I can't just go to the store and buy it today, it's pre-owned by someone and therefore used.

New Old Stock would be a better option for the item specifics.  Right eBay?

Joe

Message 29 of 105
latest reply

In regards to #2..........Yes it would be nice to have a USA seller site of legitimate USA sellers. I am tired of purchasing products, supposed to be in the USA but are shipped from China.

The problems with China sellers on the USA site, is from experience, they just do not care what they are shipping out, whether it be broken or completely different from the picture. Then it is a nightmare to get a resolution

Finally the icing on the cake, purchase from a China seller pretending to be in the USA and our hard earned money goes straight to China and not back into the USA economy which in turn weakens our economy.

However, eBay are only concerned about themselves, not the USA consumer, or the USA economy.

Message 30 of 105
latest reply