cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would you change with eBay as a seller?

I'm curious as to what suggestions you might offer to make selling on eBay a better experience?

Try to keep it under 100 suggestion and ten-thousand words.... (snicker, snicker)

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: What would you change with eBay as a seller?

Here are three off the top of my head:

1) Enhance Turbo Lister and reverse the decision to phase it out

2) If a seller uses the condition "for parts or repair", put a big red banner at the top of the listing telling buyers that the item is broken.

3) Police multi-variation listings and enforce category and similar item rules. (No more listings in the iPhone category that show up in search as $5 because the first variation is a charging cable and not an iPhone.) After the first violation is encountered, give the seller one month to fix all his listings. After one month, start restricting the seller from using variations at all if there is another violation.

Message 2 of 105
latest reply

1.  An actual, working, relevant keyword search would be nice.

2.  A US only seller site would be nice. (US as in item location AND registration, no more fake US overseas sellers)

3.  Pre-owned/vintage only, no new items allowed would be nice. Absolutely zero big box major retailers allowed.

4.  Tiered seller levels with actual experience needed for listing items over a certain price point would be nice. No more newbies with zero selling experience listing $1000 phones.

5.  Actual banning by name, address, IP and financial info of buyers who exceed a percentage of returns would be nice. I do believe implementing #2 & #4 would cut down on returns drastically however.

Of course, by doing #2, #3 and #4 the income loss for the site would be devastating. The site most likely would close, then I'd have to find someplace else to sell, which would be hard to do since my stuff really doesn't sell anywhere else.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 105
latest reply

I'm curious, why do you not like new items being sold? I can kinda understand the big box companies issue, but if they banned them, then what kind of motivation is that for a seller trying to grow their business? I think they should regulate them differently, but that's all in my opinion.

Message 4 of 105
latest reply

"Sticky" filter settings.

If I choose US Only as a filter, it should stay US Only forever or until I de-select it.

And while we're on the subject of US Only ... more stringent policing of the "location of item". If listing indicates item ships from the US, and yet a sold item's printed lable indicates it ships from anywhere BUT the US ... a big red flag should go up to eBay for automatic review of a probable listing violation.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 5 of 105
latest reply

@gurtrudegilles wrote:

I'm curious, why do you not like new items being sold? I can kinda understand the big box companies issue, but if they banned them, then what kind of motivation is that for a seller trying to grow their business? I think they should regulate them differently, but that's all in my opinion.

Because buyers can buy new stuff online anywhere, and sellers can sell new stuff online on many other venues including big box stores.  If a seller wants to deal in new goods, they can grow their business and new stuff there, not here. 

Very few places offer vintage and pre-owned items for sale  online outside of the "yard sale" type apps that don't allow shipping. Not every buyer and seller want to go through the hassle of meeting up with someone who may or may not show up. The few times I've tried it as a seller has been a disaster, buyers flake out and never show up. I can't sit on my hands all day waiting for someone.

I am a firm believer that there is a boatload of money and plenty of good  buyers out there who want good, quality vintage items at a reasonable cost and are willing to have them shipped.  I say give them that venue.

Of course we all know that will never happen, because Chinese junk pennies are more valuable to Ebay than cold, hard US dollars.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 105
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@gurtrudegilles wrote:

Because buyers can buy new stuff online anywhere, and sellers can sell new stuff online on many other venues including big box stores.  If a seller wants to deal in new goods, they can grow their business and new stuff there, not here. 

Very few places offer vintage and pre-owned items for sale  online outside of the "yard sale" type apps that don't allow shipping. Not every buyer and seller want to go through the hassle of meeting up with someone who may or may not show up. The few times I've tried it as a seller has been a disaster, buyers flake out and never show up. I can't sit on my hands all day waiting for someone.

I am a firm believer that there is a boatload of money and plenty of good  buyers out there who want good, quality vintage items at a reasonable cost and are willing to have them shipped.  I say give them that venue.

Of course we all know that will never happen, because Chinese junk pennies are more valuable to Ebay than cold, hard US dollars.

Of course people can sell new stuff on eBay. Just PLEASE KEEP IT OUT of vintage item categories. Make sense?

Message 7 of 105
latest reply

I am one of those sellers who sells new items here because I am more familiar with ebay than amazon. I have considered switching for certain items, but thankfully I've done well here and don't want to mess up a good thing. It's helped me pay for extra costs around the house and it pays for christmas for us. I don't see why you feel threatened by people selling new goods when there is still a huge market for used items here. It doesn't make sense why it should be one or the other when all the buyer has to do is click "new" or "used" in the search filters.

Message 8 of 105
latest reply

@gurtrudegilles wrote:

I am one of those sellers who sells new items here because I am more familiar with ebay than amazon. I have considered switching for certain items, but thankfully I've done well here and don't want to mess up a good thing. It's helped me pay for extra costs around the house and it pays for christmas for us. I don't see why you feel threatened by people selling new goods when there is still a huge market for used items here. It doesn't make sense why it should be one or the other when all the buyer has to do is click "new" or "used" in the search filters.

Once again, DON'T list your new items in categories intended for rare vintage items. Put your new items in the correct categories and there should be no problems. Does that make sense?

Message 9 of 105
latest reply

We need the ability to block bidders with more than "x" number of bid retractions on their Feedback as a Buyer record (over the past 6 months or 12 months, per standard eBay choices), with the actual limit number set by the seller's preference.

Message 10 of 105
latest reply

why should I have to click used when I'm looking for a mid century item? Personally so sick of vintage reproductions.

While I'm ranting, also so sick of people who don't understand terms.  Sick of not only repros, but also 60s and 70s stuff thrown in the "mid century" listings

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 11 of 105
latest reply

Biggest thing for me.

Let me set my own parameters for what I want to see and STOP changing them midway through my searches.

I personally HATE best match. I am a collector and I view listings almost daily. I want to see the new listings. I sometimes want to see what's ending right now to see if there is a bargain. PLEASE STOP turning best match back on after 2 or 3 pages, or if I change searches. I know what I want to see. Stop trying to throw **bleep** in there that I don't want.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 12 of 105
latest reply

Of course it makes sense, why would anybody sell a new item that's supposed to be vintage? I sell toys and video games so definitely not in the same category at all
Message 13 of 105
latest reply

@best_vintage_photos wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@gurtrudegilles wrote:

Of course people can sell new stuff on eBay. Just PLEASE KEEP IT OUT of vintage item categories. Make sense?

On top of those reasons, if a buyer does a general search for an item, ebay shows new and used items together.  So if an inexperienced buyer sees 30 items priced at $50 and one priced at $24, of course they will buy the cheap one - because ebay doesn't really make it obvious that there are differences in the items - like the 30 of them are brand new and the $24 one is used.   Result - a snad for the seller because the buyer was looking to get a brand new one and just picked the cheapest one and bought without reading the listing.

So a seperate section containing all new items should be ebay's next move.  After all, the catalog would work and it would cut the snad problems AND would keep the Chinese dollar store stuff in one place - because they now that the value is in new and they use words like vintage and antique to spam the search and get their cheap trash in front of more eyes.

Besides all of sweet tea's I have a suggestion.....

That anything that uses the condition - NEW in a listing has to either get the item direct from the manufacturer or from an authorized distributor.  No calling something that was bought 5 years ago and left hanging in a closet and then donated to a thrift shop - new.  It isn't new, it has tags attached, or still has it's box or maybe hadn't been used but it is far from new.

(*Bleep*)
Message 14 of 105
latest reply

I think that in the vintage category then yes, new items shouldn't be allowed for the most part. There may be a few grey areas like, for example, if someone has a new in box barbie that's from the 60's/70's. Is that considered new or used since it's been in someone's home for a long time?

I read the post though as no new items should be allowed on ebay at all, in any category. That's what I majorly disagree with.
Message 15 of 105
latest reply