cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is going on eBay?

What is eBay doing that would cause sales to drop for days on end with zero sales and then have a couple of days with excellent sales?  This is so bizarre!

I don't understand what's going on with all of these variations in sales.  Not just yearly but day to day.  It seems like the there is a tap that is on for a period of time and then it gets turned off.   Sales are up for a few days and then zero sales.  Is this just happening to me?

This is the worst Holiday season I have ever had on eBay and I would really like to know what the hel is going on..... Customer service asks me if maybe I'm not promoting enough......

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: What the heck is going on eBay?

I have noticed the sales bumps seem to be near mid month and near the end/beginning of the month too. I chalked it up to the timing of a lot of people getting their pay/ss checks/direct deposits.  The strangest bumps have been where most of the sales were geograhically centered in one region. 

Message 16 of 64
latest reply

Oversaturation probably has something to do with it. 

Try searching / buying something yourself on eBay.
The overload of shipped direct from China **bleep** is insane.
How many people will go through the trouble of checking the US only setting in a search?

Message 17 of 64
latest reply

@ci1000  Okay, I checked pages 1, 5, 8 and 11 of your store ... I am honestly impressed with your listing pics and presentation, very very nice.  However, it seems like numerous pages of similar things and only a few categories which are most likely very saturated.  Most of what I saw were ear rings and either necklaces or bracelets and a few vintage magazines.

Diversity is what helps when things are slow in those categories and if all the urban legends are true and we all have to take our turn in the barrel of no visibility then you will certainly hit times of slow or no sales. 

As for Promoted listings, collectibles are not high on peoples' Christmas lists so the first weekend of this month I put every fixed price listing up on a Promoted Listing campaign through Dec 4 ... if nothing else keep in mind that Store's get $ 30.00 per quarter in PL credit and those higher profile listings might bring more people to a store which could result in more sales ... just a thought.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 18 of 64
latest reply

Yep, the first and the fifteenth -- that's when I get my bump in sales. Otherwise, it's a no-man's land.
Message 19 of 64
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@1786davycrockett wrote:

I've been noticing these odd "bumps" in sales, just about the same time that my eBay monthly fees are about to come due -- generally near the beginning of the month, and then again around the 15th, as if eBay wants to make sure that I have enough money in my account to pay my fees.

Anybody else have this experience?

Yep. Every month. 

No.

I have a lot of ups and downs, but then again I pay my as soon as my store fee is posted on the second or third of the month, and then I pay every $5. I don't like owing money to anyone lol

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 20 of 64
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

I've been noticing these odd "bumps" in sales, just about the same time that my eBay monthly fees are about to come due -- generally near the beginning of the month, and then again around the 15th, as if eBay wants to make sure that I have enough money in my account to pay my fees.

Not the first time someone has posted this, so I would say, yes, others have had that experience.

Message 21 of 64
latest reply

I have also had the worst year including this Christmas season.  I have also noticed the first and mid month bump in sales with inbetween times low views and sales.  This has been going on for a year or more.  Was trying to list more items but that made no difference and I could not justify spending any more extra money to list because it was not increasing sales.  Ebays info says that my sales are 64 percent down from last year. 

Message 22 of 64
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

I usually have my fees paid off before the end of the month. Don't like a md-month surprise if sales tank. That being said,and I have to knock on wood for this one, I have had more sales this past 10 days than most months on here. I have no idea why. I did run a small promotion for Black Friday, but nothing much more. 

Message 23 of 64
latest reply

@max39666 wrote:

Could well be the fact that a large number of buyers--really no way to know how many for sure?--have become feed up with the searches-sellers that cancel-out of stock excuses-money tied up waiting for a refund--all the Chinese junk--not getting feedback-possibly being scammed--------no longer find this site fun to shop on.

No telling how many never make it to the comminuity to ask a question--one bad exprience--they are gone.

Many reasons that could be why sales are slow for some sellers--the above i think should be factored in--as to what %--no way to really tell.

Hopefully sellers will see kind of traffic soon as many i know reslly need the funds --Good luck to all !!

^^^ THIS

Ebay claims to have 168 million "active" users as of Q3 2017, but I would be willing to bet that a huge number of those supposedly "active" users are accounts that haven't bought or sold anything here in YEARS.

Sadly, ebay has become a destination to avoid for millions of people.

Message 24 of 64
latest reply

And, the ebay community is proof of the above post. This used to be a lively place full of all sorts of interesting people. Now, even this seller board is totally dead. Very few regular posters left here, and that's not because they left the boards, it's because they left ebay.

Message 25 of 64
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

And, the ebay community is proof of the above post. This used to be a lively place full of all sorts of interesting people. Now, even this seller board is totally dead. Very few regular posters left here, and that's not because they left the boards, it's because they left ebay.

Or they just can't post anymore...

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 26 of 64
latest reply

I have noticed the bump in sales around the time "Fees" are due.......
?????.
I am Struggling to make ends meet.....E-Bay makes sure their ends meet!!
Over a MILLION buyers out there ,,,,,,come on E-Bay, lets us make our ends meet!!!
Message 27 of 64
latest reply

You mean the walking dead like me who in gulag until the Great Pardon of '16?
Message 28 of 64
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
You mean the walking dead like me who in gulag until the Great Pardon of '16?

grin

Message 29 of 64
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep. Every month For me as well, Was having the best month all year then just nothing.

Message 30 of 64
latest reply