cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Rule #1 of Selling?

I'm going to say, "Proofread your ads." Smiley Very Happy This (below) just popped up in mobile format on my smartphone. Someone's getting a bit muddled up with their double letters. It reminds me of the time that the label printing page managed to misspell the word "Successful" in honking big type across the top.

Occassions.jpg

Message 1 of 84
latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

Re: What's Rule #1 of Selling?

If they put that much thought into acronyms I don't think they would have called one of their programs Guaranteed Delivery. Smiley Tongue

Message 76 of 84
latest reply

I suppose that has to do with it being a good idea to show that you have as many choices that you can since that would be a positive selling point with your merchandise? Better to bring good points to light rather than shuffle them away. Now that I have written this down, I think I'm just reading too much into it actually.

Message 77 of 84
latest reply

Message 78 of 84
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

@escuintla 

Always remember: I before E except after C. My 8th grade Nun drummed this into our heads lololol. Never forgot it. 

That's weird.

Message 79 of 84
latest reply

Schooled well as a child, entering the workforce began my immersion in a "second language" that was truly my downfall. No one around me spoke proper English and my ear became accustomed to the colloquialisms.

After several decades of written communications with foreigners, I tend to gloss over the missteps in language usage. But I do still mind the mistakes that I see everywhere on official eBay pages.  Smiley Frustrated

My own biggest problem now is that I'm a typist, and when typing my thoughts, my mind thinks one word and my fingers type some other word. Usually it's a homonym, but sometimes it can be an entirely different word (like that buyer/seller thing). Yikes!!  Or sometimes a word just fails to appear. Smiley Embarassed

Anyway, I've given up trying to be correct on the forums. I don't have the fortitude at this age to worry about petty mistakes. I punctuate where it looks pretty, and let my fingers have the last word on occasion.  Smiley Tongue

However, I still hate to hear "momentarily" on flights. I do not want to be lifting off "momentarily" -- once off the ground, I'd like the plane to stay up there!  Smiley Surprised

And when calling various support lines, I don't want someone to be with me momentarily. I would like that person to stay with me and solve the problem, although "momentarily" is usually what I get while being passed along to the next rep. Smiley Frustrated

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 80 of 84
latest reply

This thread breaks the #1 rule.

#1 eBay is only one selling venue, not the selling venue.

Don't put all your eggs in the same basket.

Message 81 of 84
latest reply

On my listings, they say "good 'till cancelled" at the top when I am editing them.  Maybe elsewhere eBay uses the 'til, but  actually 'til is not recommended by most style guides - I just learned this.  If you google "til until till" you will see what I mean. 

Message 82 of 84
latest reply

@coffeebean832 

I guess Sister Mary Frances forgot to tell us that one.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 83 of 84
latest reply

Oh my gosh! I'm dying over here laughing. Just had the best visual. Thank you for sharing lol

Andrea

Message 84 of 84
latest reply