cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Rule #1 of Selling?

I'm going to say, "Proofread your ads." Smiley Very Happy This (below) just popped up in mobile format on my smartphone. Someone's getting a bit muddled up with their double letters. It reminds me of the time that the label printing page managed to misspell the word "Successful" in honking big type across the top.

Occassions.jpg

Message 1 of 84
latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

If you believe what you see on eBay, the members are the most illiterate people in the world.  And they cannot form a cohesive sentence with both hands and spell check.

And that doesn't even include people who make a board that has one word in  title and that's all.

But then, those are the ads I show my mother (a spelling Nazi) so we can laugh at them.  It's almost like having my Ukrainian grandmothers letters again. 

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 84
latest reply

*smacks hand on forehead*

These are the kind of people that we have driving the ebay bus people. We are in for a wild ride, be very afraid.

PS. They also forgot to add the double L in possibillities, haha.

Message 3 of 84
latest reply

I thought the #1 rule of selling is don’t buy from your own supply?

Message 4 of 84
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

They spelled occasion incorrectly. They spelled possibilities correctly.

Maybe you're joking about the double L and it went over my head.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 84
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

These are the kind of people that we have driving the ebay bus people. We are in for a wild ride, be very afraid.

Good sense of humor  there ..  LOL  Tulips 

Message 6 of 84
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

ummmmm can we just throw them under the bus, and do the flintstone peddle thingie?

Message 7 of 84
latest reply

misspelllllllled occasion too

Message 8 of 84
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

If you believe what you see on eBay, the members are the most illiterate people in the world.  And they cannot form a cohesive sentence with both hands and spell check.

And that doesn't even include people who make a board that has one word in  title and that's all.

But then, those are the ads I show my mother (a spelling Nazi) so we can laugh at them.  It's almost like having my Ukrainian grandmothers letters again. 

If anyone wants to get truly technical over proper English   it's always been said  not to begin a sentence  with  words like  '' however'' ,, '' and ''   '' always '' .  However  lol ,, it's really not  improper . I believe the human race has been breaking these rules since the 9th  century chronicles if the truth were known . Tulips 

Message 9 of 84
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

But then, those are the ads I show my mother (a spelling Nazi) so we can laugh at them. 

Yes, I don't ding people for spelling if all we're doing is chatting back and forth in email, etc. But when your whole task is to put something up in public for all the world to see, you'd think it might be worthwhile to maybe take an extra moment to check it over, or hand it off to someone else for a fresh review before plowing ahead.

It reminds me of a moment I had with #1 son during a long interstate ride in the family van a couple of years back. We were driving in silence along a newly repaved section of I-88 in Illinois where they had new blacktop but no new permanent painted lane markings yet, so they had stuck down mile after mile of short, white, temporary stick-on lane markers. You'd think that applying straight-line strips to fresh pavement would have been pretty simple, not a lot to mess up, and yet every single one was cockeyed to the left about, oh, 15° or so off of dead straight, so it was like cruising between lanes of backslashes.

We had rolled along in silence like that for a few minutes, both of us quietly eyeing the misplaced markers as they passed by, and finally #1 son murmured, "You had one job..." Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 84
latest reply

In a town somewhere recently, the city painting crew had to return to the crosswalk in front of the school because of all the complaints about the new "SCOHOL CROSSING".   Not that there weren't more than a few signs and buildings in view.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 11 of 84
latest reply

I like to attend Meetups. 

So, even though I am terrible in the English language, I can spot a mistake almost immediately. The most frequent word that gets misspelled, as far as I can tell is "receive". I was attending this Meetup, and while I was watching a new financial power point, I spotted a mistake, they wrote "recieve" Smiley Very Happy 

I asked for the phone number of the very boss, so, next day, I sent the very CEO of the company the picture via a text message. He told me that 5 of his high top notch financial gurus, some earning $1M a year approved the power point presentation. Smiley Very Happy

Ebay is not strange to have so many misspells. I've seen one or two, but who cares. Smiley Very Happy

There's a picture from a bank somewhere that posted this huge flyer on the front window saying "Annal fees" Smiley Very Happy

Sir, would you be willing to have an annal review from us? Smiley Very Happy

Oh boy! This is funny! 

latest reply

The problems with something as stupid as a simple misspelling are that:

1. It just shouldn't happen with a multi billion dollar international corporation - they should have people to deal with things like proofreading and should have people that read, write, and speak frickin English working on the public facing documents and content.

2. Misspellings like that are something we subconsciously notice - like the uncanny ability to sense motion in the visual field (to not get eaten by lions). Once your internal alarms go off due to a misspelling, the experience has ick on it, and mistrust creeps in, negating some or all the value of the advertisement or promotion.

They just don't seem to get any of that (or the value of transparency and being forthright as we have all seen)

(I get it, and marketing, marketing psychology, sales, management, etc are the furthest things from my zone of interest or expertise. But I can spell and understand its importance.)
Message 13 of 84
latest reply

" breaking these rules since the 9th century chronicles if the truth were known"

Ah, the good old days of Chaucer...
Message 14 of 84
latest reply

OMG that is hilarious! But............shouldn't it be misspellIINGS???
Message 15 of 84
latest reply