cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What percentage of buyers usually leave feedback?

I've noticed this mostly since the big changes last summer here, but buyer's seem to have stopped leaving feedback.

I manage 8 accounts at work and have to personal accounts of my own. Since the changes I noticed almost no one leaves feedback, even repeat buyers. Overall its been maybe around 6% or so of buyers who have left feedback. At work, they use an automated program that alerts and leaves feedback in bunches when it sees 'x' number of completed sales. In the past, a batch of feedback postings would show almost a one to one rise in our own feedback numbers but in the past 6 months or so it seems feedback is no longer a concern of buyers.

As a buyer, nearly all sellers I've dealt with leave feedback, but buyers seem to suddenly be neglecting to leave feedback.

On my own account, I've sent out a few messages to remind buyers to please leave feedback but many simply never responded or replied saying they don't leave feedback. Many of whom are often repeat buyers.

It seems feedback here is slowly just going away. In past years, nearly every sale accounted for an increased feedback score, now its a rear occasion when someone bothers' to leave feedback.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: What percentage of buyers usually leave feedback?

Shipped 1665 items since 2010 - received 1006  from buyers all but one 1 positive - sold primarily  high end clothing, foot wear shoes/western boots, denims and odds and ends like cameras, fishing stuff, golf equipment, house hold products, camera.  Never "begged" for  FB and always left FB  for the buyer at the same time I printed the shipping label which was  always no later than on business day o after payment was received - on occasions the same day - my USPS carrier picked up 95% of my shipments.

Sold for a  career and I believed  that the  buyer and his/hers $$ is King/Queen and never a PITA (even if they are).  Also early on in my career read a  a book by Dale Carnegie titled How to Win Friends and Influence People, (read it several times) plus took several  Dale Carnegie Sales courses at night.  IMO some of that stuff still apples to day including on-line selling..  Yep  I'm a '44 model and made adjustments over time.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 16 of 30
latest reply

My experience here (21 years) is that about 30% of buyers (3 out of 10) leave feedback.
It would be nice if it were more, but even though I don't 'buy' much anymore, I'm pretty guilty of not leaving feedback (as a buyer) often either. I actually don't have an explanation as to why.

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

1.  This has been discussed before.  If eBay ever decides to leave positive FB on my behalf, I will be outa here.

2. You "don't know of any sellers who neglect to leave feedback"? Really? 

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

From reading here, it seems like it is mostly new sellers who are concerned about the lack of FB because they want to build their reputation quickly.  I believe FB has suffered from the domino effect -- sellers can only give buyers positive FB, so they choose to leave none.  Buyers don't receive it so they don't leave it.  And from my point of view, when a seller asks or reminds buyers about leaving FB, he is risking a buyer who is having a bad day and will reflect that in the FB he leaves.  

Message 19 of 30
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

Less than 10% leave me feedback. I automatically leave it after a sale receives payment. 

A seller's feedback would be more reflective of successful sales if automatic positive feedback were left after 30 days of a buyer not leaving it. I don't know of any sellers who neglect to leave feedback. 

In the past month, you’ve given 95 and received 43,  but you feel that you you get less than 10% return.

What’s up with that?

BTW, every time I look at the actual numbers for people who claim they’re getting 10-20% return, I find that they get double or triple what they think they’re getting. Must be needy.

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

Yes, I've given 95, because I BUY as well as SELL. I ALSO leave feedback. Try again. And I have not received 43 FB on the last month, it's less than 30 for solds. 

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

Maybe some of those people are referring to only their FB as sellers, or only their FB as buyers.  

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

Yup, I have yet to run into a seller who hasn't left feedback after the sale, for a decade or longer. All feedback I receive is right after payment. Any seller who does NOT have this already set to automatic, is either new and clueless, or been here and clueless. The buyer's "job" is over after payment, they deserve the feedback.

And why does it matter IF eBay DID leave automatic feedback? If you aren't happy, you have up to 30 days to leave feedback. Same goes with a seller, positive feedback should be automatically given if the sale goes through and no return in the 30 days. If the transaction were not positive on both buyer and sellers parts, there would be a return. Feedback should be reflective of successful transactions. If you aren't willing to exert the effort to leave neutral or negative feedback, then you ARE in fact, satisfied with the transaction. If you aren't willing to speak up, that's your own fault. 

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

Yes, I've given 95, because I BUY as well as SELL. I ALSO leave feedback. Try again. And I have not received 43 FB on the last month, it's less than 30 for solds. 

OK. As a seller, 90 given, 29 received; that’s 32%, more than triple what you claim to be getting.

I’ll ask again: why is your perception so far removed from reality?

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

I remember years ago i used to come on this board grumbling about buyers who would leave me feedback like "got it" or "ok". Now i'm happy with just a grunt or a comma.  

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 25 of 30
latest reply

I always leave feedback for a buyer when said buyer has indicated satisfaction with the sale by leaving positive feedback for me. I never beg for feedback.

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

I, like a buyer, always leave feedback (very rare, but also negative)
In 2019, eBay changed the rules and sellers very easily remove negative feedback.
After that, many buyers realized that the system becomes not fair and ceased to leave feedback.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@loewe_new wrote:

I, like a buyer, always leave feedback (very rare, but also negative)
In 2019, eBay changed the rules and sellers very easily remove negative feedback.
After that, many buyers realized that the system becomes not fair and ceased to leave feedback.

Which is most likely why some sellers choose the same path - feedback has been one sided since 2008

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 28 of 30
latest reply

I’ve made 828 sales (personal video game collection) and 40% of my buyers have left me positive feedback. I’ve had 2-3 negative feedback from people who scammed me since ebay always sides with the buyer. 

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply