cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What online stores offer FREE returns?

Free returns for buyers remorse just doesn't make sense to me.  It costs about $5 a pound (for 2 or more pounds) to ship to the West Coast, and for lighter items I get a lot of buyer remorse reasons.  

I can understand that ebay wants to compete with other online stores but what other online stores offer FREE returns?  When I am searching online to purchase something for the cheapest price, I usually end up at eBay, Amazon, or a site that specializes in the product line that I am searching for.  I can't recall any sites that offer FREE returns for buyers remorse, such as changed mind, doesn't fit, found a better price, etc.

Am I missing something here?  Are there sights out there that offer FREE returns for any reason?

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: What online stores offer FREE returns?

The problem is not so much that you answered, but you answered with all high dollar sites.  All of those sites will nowhere near meet the prices we sell at, they sell for more and can cover the cost of returns because they sell at higher margins and have the store name recognition to pull those prices.

Does dollar tree or the local dollar store take free returns on their site?

Does Wallmart, Target or any other "discount" retailers.  I do not know the answer, but these would be more in line with what and how we sell here.  So before you all go looking up the answers, like I said I do not know so don't shoot me for asking.

Not really sure why you took such offense, she was only making a statement like you.

Rich 

Message 16 of 49
latest reply

@melhaue_0 wrote:
The information you are being told is misleading. The examples they gave you are all for the high-end retailers only. I am looking at a Coach return label right now. Keep in mind that marked-down merchandise from these retailers is often Final Sale. If you want to pay full price or almost full price, indeed you do get "free" returns -- but you are paying out the wazoo in the first place. Once again, as I look at my Coach return label, I see that purchases from the Coach On-Line factory/discount stores or outlets are NOT free "Note that customers are responsible for return shipping charges". Of course, if you return the merchandise to a Brick and Mortar Store yourself - there are no shipping costs in the first place so it is technically free. Not an option for eBay sellers.

It is misleading to say any of those retailers listed offers "free returns" unless you are paying full price or slightly marked down prices from their full-priced online or retail stores -- once merchandise goes clearance, or goes to the online outlet store, these retailers no longer offer "free returns". A prime example is KateSpade.

KateSpade sale merchandise is final sale -- "surprise sale and select promotions are considered final sale merchandise and cannot be returned online or in our shops. returns on sale merchandise must be made within 14 days of purchase. final sale merchandise—including merchandise discounted by 50% or more before promo codes are calculated—cannot be returned. products must be unused, unworn, and in good condition with original hangtags and packaging attached. all original packaging must be intact."
https://care.narvar.com/katespade/category/returns

And you are correct in saying "light weight" items are more likely to have "free returns" on their fuller-priced items. KateSpade Home stores, which would have heavier items, does not offer free returns, even if you paid full price.
https://www.katespadehomegifts.com.au/returns-policy.html

I do not understand why fellow eBayers mislead each other. If I looked up any one of the Retailers that another poster said offered "free returns", I would find the same disqualifiers. In reality only high end expensive priced online retailers offer "free returns".

Nobody is being 'misled'. The information I provided was copied directly off of their website and I included: Go to websites for more details. So how is that misleading?

I buy from all the stores I listed and am able to return items free of charge, sometimes depending on the promotion, as I indicated.

As far as Kate Spade, I have returned items from their surprise sale, etc. with Free Return label after a call to them letting them know the item is defective. No store can sell defective items that are advertised as new and not give a full refund and free return label.

Message 17 of 49
latest reply

@caninekopz wrote:

The problem is not so much that you answered, but you answered with all high dollar sites.  All of those sites will nowhere near meet the prices we sell at, they sell for more and can cover the cost of returns because they sell at higher margins and have the store name recognition to pull those prices.

Does dollar tree or the local dollar store take free returns on their site?

Does Wallmart, Target or any other "discount" retailers.  I do not know the answer, but these would be more in line with what and how we sell here.  So before you all go looking up the answers, like I said I do not know so don't shoot me for asking.

Not really sure why you took such offense, she was only making a statement like you.

Rich 

The OP did not specify low end or high end. Their title says: What online stores offer FREE returns? So I gave my answer. I did not know I created a 'problem' to pick the stores I wanted for examples of Free Returns.

I sell high end, so that is what I relate to. If whoever sells low-end or low priced items, then they can create their own list.

Not taking offense, just don't like it when people try to alter original posts to self serve their own agenda. They should start their own post instead of piggybacking.

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

@usmediamass wrote:
@dirk12955,
Do any of your items get tried on and not fit? Do any of your items only get used once or twice?

Fortunately I'm one of those ebay sellers selling in a low fraud category.      Very rarely do I 

have SNAD or INR problems.      

In that respect,    I'm very lucky   

Message 19 of 49
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

@varietydiscount wrote:

Am I missing something here?  Are there stores out there that offer FREE returns for any reason?

The following is just a partial list and they all have the same restrictions as ebay returns have, ie: original condition as sent, all tags attached, original packaging, unworn, unwashed, etc.

Neiman MarcusEligible merchandise may be returned FREE if received within 15 days of the delivery date

• Returns are accepted within 60 days of receipt.
  • Returned merchandise should be in the same condition as when you received it, unworn, undamaged, saleable, with original tags and packaging (if applicable).
  • Altered apparel, special orders, perishable or personalized/monogrammed items, and items identified as "final sale" cannot be returned.
  • We are happy to honor requests for adjustment if your merchandise was purchased at regular price and then reduced within 10 days of purchase.
  • Neiman Marcus reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to determine if returned merchandise is in saleable condition.

Lord & Taylor: Free Returns now thru 1/20/19 (Periodically offered)

We will gladly exchange or credit your timely return of unworn, unlaundered merchandise when it is presented in salable condition with the original vendor packaging and tags. We cannot exchange or credit gourmet, altered, customized or personalized items. Used merchandise cannot be returned unless defective. Please note that we cannot accept returns at our outlet or clearance center locations.

UGGa prepaid shipping return label will be provided to you at the end of the return request

We gladly accept returns from customers who purchased their UGG® product from a retailer other than www.ugg.com, or the UGG® call center. We will process your return for an exchange or a site credit. We do not offer a refund for products not purchased directly from us.

Items must be in new and unused condition. A product with dirt or wear and tear will be returned to the customer with no action taken. Products must be in our current product line, which is posted on ugg.com.

Michael KorsAffix the pre-addressed and pre-paid return label to your return package

If you are not satisfied with your order for any reason, we will accept the return of items that are in new, unused condition, with original tags attached and all original packaging and other components included, when accompanied by an original Michael Kors receipt/invoice or gift receipt. All Michael Kors Access merchandise must have all original packaging and components to be eligible for return or exchange.

Returned items must not be washed, worn or altered. We do not accept returns of swimwear, underwear, custom-made, engraved, or personalized items or Clearance items.

Kate Spadereturning eligible items by mail is free with our prepaid label

Kate Spade is best read online, it scrolls the page.

To see more details regarding returns, go to their websites.

The problem as I see it is Ebay pushes free returns but all the stores listed above all have limitations on returns.

Limitations on return time and condition.

Ebay may say in their TOS how an item has to be returned to the seller but they do absolutely ZERO enforcement of it.  Buyer wins every time. I will bet if you force a return of a used item on the stores listed above via a credit card  chargeback you will find yourself banned from purchasing from them again.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 20 of 49
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@stuff4divas wrote:

@varietydiscount wrote:

Am I missing something here?  Are there stores out there that offer FREE returns for any reason?

The following is just a partial list and they all have the same restrictions as ebay returns have, ie: original condition as sent, all tags attached, original packaging, unworn, unwashed, etc.

The problem as I see it is Ebay pushes free returns but all the stores listed above all have limitations on returns.

Limitations on return time and condition.

Ebay may say in their TOS how an item has to be returned to the seller but they do absolutely ZERO enforcement of it.  Buyer wins every time. I will bet if you force a return of a used item on the stores listed above via a credit card  chargeback you will find yourself banned from purchasing from them again.

All my listings have had Free Returns since 6/1/18. It works for me, but it's obviously not for everyone.

I have not experienced what you say about ebay having no restrictions on returned items. Ebay has a 'Condition of Returned Items' policy.

Items have to be received back to the seller as originally received by the buyer, otherwise the seller is allowed to deduct up to 50% of the selling price.

I also have a time limit of 30 days from date of delivery to open a return.

I've had to implement ebay's 'Condition or Returned Items Policy' just a few times, and it was easy and hassle free.

Message 21 of 49
latest reply

@reich-stamps wrote:

@usmediamass wrote:
@dirk12955,
Do any of your items get tried on and not fit? Do any of your items only get used once or twice?

Fortunately I'm one of those ebay sellers selling in a low fraud category.      Very rarely do I 

have SNAD or INR problems.      

In that respect,    I'm very lucky   

Not trying to mislead anybody by posting with 2 IDs.      Just me not paying attention.   

Message 22 of 49
latest reply

Many will buy several items at once which will weight more than a pound which means I have to ship priority. The minimum for priority is $6.35. I get an average of 1 return every other month. A seller should be able to figure the average return rate for their business over time. Once that is figured out the seller should be able add into the price. I price my items based what I think I can sell it for and buy my inventory at one third or less of my selling price. Generally If I can’t buy it at that level I won’t sell it. I will make an exception for fast selling items and the most I will pay is 50% of what I sell it for. Selling on eBay is a side gig for me but I still have to make it worth my time.

Message 23 of 49
latest reply

but what you want does not matter because ebay will accept a fraudulent NAD return on your behalf, because only what they want matters.
Message 24 of 49
latest reply

Volume sales also count, Target and Walmart are most likely more profitable than most high end retail.. so not a good comparison to a small seller. 

Message 25 of 49
latest reply

At the Big A, which packages stuff terribly, they don't even want a return on cheaper stuff. I don't order much from them but last year three out of ten items arrived badly damaged. I was refunded with a simple request, no pics or talk to anyone live. No return needed. They build that into their projected costs.

Ebay wants their sellers to do just that as well and take the hit just like that huge company. Other sites have to compete as well. That's just the environment this has become. Good luck wine_glass

Message 26 of 49
latest reply

On cheaper items I will do the same thing whether item is damaged or not. Why spend the postage for items return than item is worth. I factor into my prices 2% for returns, lost packages, stolen packages, buyers remorse, damaged packages, and etc. The actual costs has been much less.
Message 27 of 49
latest reply

As a shareholder of Target and  according to there financial reports their gross margin last was 29.21% last year. In others words on average when a customer spends $100.00 the cost of the items is $70.79 and they make $29.21 before expenses. Their net margin was 3.74% or make just $3.74 for every $100.00 in sales after they take all of their expenses. (wages, utilities, shop lifting, employee theft, property taxes, employee benefits, etc.) A typical luxury will have much higher gross and net margins but their sales will typically much be less. I personally aim to keep my gross margins to be above 60% and net margin around 40%. 

Message 28 of 49
latest reply

I was looking at total profit, not margins with low cost, high volume stores. As I imagine Walmart is probably doing better than Coach, for example.
Message 29 of 49
latest reply

This isn't about any other store online or otherwise, it's about ebay making crooked buyers happy. It's about boosting ebay profit, as it has always been. If I don't offer free returns my 10% off FVF will go away and into the ebay executives pockets. That is pretty much it.
On the other hand, big box stores usually have local stores where a buyer can return a product in person. For the most part ebay sellers are just individuals working out of their home, they just don't have the finances to offer free returns. Whoever came up with this idea in ebay management knows nothing about business or how a business works, or the basic laws of the land. It's called "Buyer Beware". Caveat emptor, now does ebay management know anything about that term or what it means? Doubtful..

The next issue is how ebay treats buyers and sellers. It's gone from the wild west to what it is today. Yet, still sellers are pretty much rated second compared to buyers. 

I personally am a great and fair seller to all my buyers, but when someone tries to pull a fast one over on me I won't allow it. If something sold does not work, then I give a full refund sometimes with no questions asked. It depends on what the item is. I am reasonable and I hope my buyers are too. For the most part people are honest around the globe, and that is something I not only appreciate but am glad to see it.

I feel ebays "Free Return" policy is wrong and hopefully ends, as I hope some in management sees why this is just fool hardy and only hurts the seller. If there is an honest issue with an item, I have no problem paying for the return of the item if necessary, but just don't force me to offer Free Returns, that's not right under any circumstance.

Message 30 of 49
latest reply