cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What, exactly, is included in ebays final value fees?

I know the items selling price and shipping charges.  But do sales tax get included?  I ask because last month was horrendous for me in sales.  So much, ebay  took money out of my  bank account to cover their charges.

My gross was a lousy $151.00. My net after they took their share was $39.18. That net does NOT include my cost of goods.   Looking back through my records, I have been losing money for the last 8 months.

My bank statement shows, without buying merchandise), has been dropping steadily for 8 months, instead of increasing.

HHHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP_P_P_P_P_P_P_P_P_P_P_P_P_, I am drowning.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you have been losing money for 8 months and just now noticed that, you need to stop and change everything about your business plan. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I know the items selling price and shipping charges.  But do sales tax get included?

@bargainbasement101 

Yes... FVFs are imposed on the total sale. Item + s&h + sales tax (if applicable). 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

it is charged on the complete sale price . Price + shipping + Tax

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

per a "help &contact" search

Selling fees | eBay

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

What's included in eBay final value fees?

kitchen sink.jpg

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

One example from your store that also doesn't help with 'bleeding money':

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225767281465

$3.99 + free shipping.

3.99 sale price

0.28 sales tax (based on 7%)

----

4.27 is what a buyer would pay.

-4.26 (estimated from WA to NC) 4 oz Ground Advantage

-0.57 FVF

-0.30 per transaction fee.

------

-0.86 LOSS

And that doesn't even include CoGs.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

On those cheaper items, when the shipping is almost as much as the item, you're not going to make much if anything.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

What's included in eBay final value fees?

kitchen sink.jpg

@redlinear 

Very, very good. But let's not confuse the OP... those drain stoppers  are NOT included. 🤣

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

eBay's Final Value Fee (paid by the seller to eBay) is calculated on the item price charged to the buyer, the shipping cost and the state sales tax, if any, and, in most categories, is about 13.25%.  

The "cost of goods", by which I assume you mean the amount the seller paid to obtain the item that he then sold to a buyer, has no play at all in eBay's Final Value Fee.  The shipping cost paid by the buyer to the seller is used by the seller to pay the cost of shipping the item to the buyer.  The state sales tax, based on the buyer's delivery address, is paid by the buyer to the seller and is then remitted by eBay to the treasury department of the appropriate state.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If you have been losing money for 8 months and just now noticed that, you need to stop and change everything about your business plan. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

The eBay fee schedule explains exactly how fees are calculated.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

Teach a man to fish ...

Looking back through my records, I have been losing money for the last 8 months.

It's a shame you did not notice or wonder for 8 months. How did you arrive at your item prices if you did not know what price was profitable?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I think you are correct.  After selling on ebay for more than 20 years, I need to sell somewhere else before ebay finds another way to siphon money out of my sale.  Personally, I don't see how shipping and sales tax adds to the value of the item, other than an excuse to charge more. For example, when I first signed up on ebay, the basic store was $9.95 a month, now I am pay 27.95. Did ebay ever send a price increase notice?  NO, they sneak stuff like that into your account

Message 12 of 12
latest reply