cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you plan on gifting this Christmas?

I buy for adults, adult kids and little ones. What gifts do you guys plan on or usually give in lieu of gift cards or cash? Other than toys what sort of items do you sell well around Christmas. (A general idea is fine doesn’t have to be a specific item or Brand)

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: What do you plan on gifting this Christmas?

@umie11752 wrote:

I buy for adults, adult kids and little ones. What gifts do you guys plan on or usually give in lieu of gift cards or cash? Other than toys what sort of items do you sell well around Christmas. (A general idea is fine doesn’t have to be a specific item or Brand)

I'm a member of a small family--nine adults (counting spouses) and five children, ages under 2 years to 13 years. We buy only for those children (and I have three 13-year-old neighbor children for whom I buy Christmas and birthday gifts).

We follow the four-rule motto:

Something they want,

Something they need,

Something to wear,

And something to read.

The adults donate to a not-for-profit organization in lieu of gifts. This year, we chose the World Central Kitchen.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@umie11752 wrote:

I don't sell anything around Christmas because my store is usually closed while I'm on holidays. (My significant other works in technology and things go quiet in December for most companies).

In the past, I've given my significant other designer luggage (after the airline damaged his). I've planned on buying an outdoor BBQ (but that plan fell through because I couldn't afford to pay for it). I've bought designer linens, and other household stuff of good quality. (The kind you give as a gift, but can't really afford to buy for yourself).

On the receiving end, mostly I've received things for my new house once I planned on moving. My loved ones gave me gifts up to a couple of years before I ended up moving.

In my family we often do meals out and other treat like things that you can't afford to do during the rest of the year.

C.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I usually make a gift for my wife and have started on a handmade spice cabinet and jars.  We lead a very simple life here and aren't into material goodies much. For our anniversary this year (45th) I found a beautiful vintage Schwinn ladies bike and filled the baskets with nice plants.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

The latest Alexander McCall Smith book for DH, plus new underwear (boxer briefs), and a couple of Sudoko books.

A MEC and a Lee Valley Tools gift card for DD, hi tech socks, and a perhaps a book of poetry for DD. I may give them a set of pure linen sheets too, I love the ones I bought on eBay (made in Lithuania, purchased from a Canadian seller.)

A Canadian Tire gift card for her partner- with a print out of available showerheads for the apartment he hasn't finished yet in his rental property.

The baby next door will be about 18 months old, so probably a few chewable books, since he will be teething by then.

I don't sell anything much after mid-November, but the packets of mint postage I sell on another ID move well, so my customers, mostly eBay sellers are busy.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Some good & wholesome advice. Smiley Very Happy  

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote:

I usually make a gift for my wife and have started on a handmade spice cabinet and jars.  We lead a very simple life here and aren't into material goodies much. For our anniversary this year (45th) I found a beautiful vintage Schwinn ladies bike and filled the baskets with nice plants.

Can I get on your Christmas list.  I've been asking for a Spice Rack for years.  My husband does wonderful wood work, but he really doesn't have a working shop area anymore, so that is an issue.

I make Christmas ornaments for everyone.  To include my neighbors get one to decorate their plate of goodies they get each year.  The family gets more than that, but it depends on their needs each year. 

This year the kids will be easy.  My last one moves to her own apartment in about 2 weeks.  Then I'll be an empty nester.  The other kid just got a house, so both of them will be getting stuff for their new homes and new life's adventures into adulthood.    Most likely things they never knew they needed in the first place.  LOL

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Atlas Shrugged. To everyone.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Coal.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@umie11752 wrote:

I sell mainly jewelry items  so around any upcoming holiday  I list more holiday themed jewelry . I do the best sales  every year from the beginning of Oct.  until the end of Dec.  As far as Christmas gifts go I've been severely  instructed  not to buy clothing for my oldest son  but my youngest son  couldn't care any less . Right now I'm on the hunt for house slippers for my husband [ AKA bigfoot ] . It's not easy locating the right pair  for him because he probably has  the widest feet in human history . They can't be the cheapy type and they must have a very stiff backing or else his feet  slip off of them. He's always complaining about it . So here we go again ,, pity me  lol - Tulips 

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

In the past, I've given my significant other designer luggage (after the airline damaged his). sin n dex - 

That happened to us when my brother passed away  and we had to fly to Boise Idaho . Except it wasn't the luggage that was damaged,,   it was what was inside . While at his house I had gathered his important documents plus his  high school  diploma and college degrees . I was the executor  of his will . During the flight back home we were grounded at the San Francisco airport  because of severe weather  and a huge downpour of rain . This was two days before Christmas that year and it didn't look like we were going to make it home in time.  Finally they found us two seats 8 hours later . However when I unpacked  our luggage  all of my brothers documents had been damaged by the rain .  I never  saw that coming  so I wished  I had taken more precaution . Tulips 

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

This year the kids will be easy.  My last one moves to her own apartment in about 2 weeks.  Then I'll be an empty nester.  The other kid just got a house, so both of them will be getting stuff for their new homes and new life's adventures into adulthood.    Most likely things they never knew they needed in the first place.  LOL mam 

One time as a wedding gift  I  filled up a shoe box  with all kinds of   small kitchen gadgets ,, vegetable peeler , spoons , spatulas , egg timer , pot holders , etc etc  wrapped it up real pretty and they loved it.  I knew  they'd be getting things like cookware , china , flatware  and  various small  appliances  but sometimes you can't do  anything   with those items  unless you have the needed  accessories .  🙂   Tulips 

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

For our small family we do the following: trip to U-Haul parking lot with 16 Month old grand son who adores all trucks,  much needed work boots (eBay purchase usually) for hard working son (needed item),  history books for history buff son in law,  cool ear rings by While Odin Sleeps (hopefully this is not considered promoting a business, but their items ARE cool) for grand daughter who is the most generous person I know and finally for a family member who shall remain  incognito  one month's payment for a storage unit where hoarded items are stashed away sine apt and two cars are already filled.  

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Good Morning, Mam!! You are already on a couple of lists that I keep. On my Christmas list, I have you penciled in for new pom-poms. I hope the transition to empty nester is smooth and enjoyable. We never had that here as my youngest came back with child. (Genetic problem, but not on my side of the family!) Best 12 years of my life raising my Grandson who is still the center of my universe. So many pleasant memories that keep refreshing themselves and providing me comfort in my old age.

I made another spice cabinet about 25 years ago to fit the Pfaltzgraf spice bottles my wife got for her dishes set and incorporated two MoreLite 1920's headlight lenses into funny shaped free form doors for it. This one is different and being made out of antique oak from a large bed  I bought 20 years ago and tore apart because I liked the grain pattern of the wood.  Get your hubby back into woodworking and I will send pictures with the pom-poms. Bruce

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

To whom? 

The people I know already have what they want and more than they need or will ever use.  There are times when it is convenient to be the last and not have family or relatives.  I get to spend more on me!

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 15 of 25
latest reply