cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do when a buyer lies about authenticity of a product?

Hi everyone!

I have sold an item on auction, 100% authentic. After auction ended, the buyer paid after 6 days, a minute before unpaid case closed. We exchanged messages, I guaranteed authenticity of my item (alredy sold couple of expensive pieces here and never had any issue with buyer, shipping, authenticity, etc.) The item still has original tags.

The item is delivered on time, but 7 days after delivery, the buyer opened dispute on Paypal, asking for full refund and to keep the item, said that scarf is fake! Since I was present when my husband paid for the item in official retail shop, I asked him to prove it is fake, said I was more than happy to refund it if he proved it is not authentic., because I am 100% sure it is original stuff.

His reply was simple "I want to send it back" , no proves, nothing, and it was clearly said no returns accepted!

And he did not dispute it here, on Ebay, but on Paypal!

I am so sure I am right and I escalate that case to Paypal.

I have sent messages tread, proof of delivery, pictures, all... But what can I expect?

Thank you

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: What do I do when a buyer lies about authenticity of a product?

Tell to return it for a refund. He has to pay return shipping on paypal.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

thank you. when i escalated case, it is impossible to offer any solution anymore. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@2lola4 wrote:

His reply was simple "I want to send it back" , no proves, nothing, and it was clearly said no returns accepted!

And he did not dispute it here, on Ebay, but on Paypal!

I am so sure I am right and I escalate that case to Paypal.

I have sent messages tread, proof of delivery, pictures, all... But what can I expect?

You can expect that the buyer will get his refund, and may not be required to return the scarf, either. An escalation by the seller rarely ends well (for the seller), especially in he-said/she-said disputes regarding authenticity. In such cases, it's best to just take the thing back for a refund. When it arrives, refund and relist.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

You have no choice; accept the return and don't get involved in escalations.  You'll be able to resell the scarf and, as someone said, by filing through paypal the buyer will have to pay return shipping.

Also be aware, as a new seller, that your high end designer items are scam magnets.  This could happen again.

Disclaimer:  I am not fully versed in paypal returns; is escalation a required step?

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

::::::::Also be aware, as a new seller, that your high end designer items are scam magnets.  This could happen again.:::::::::

Maybe I am stupid, but I do not understand, who does it find funny to pay for something and after that send it back???

If eventually he sends it back, I will have to pay custom tax!

And what is the point of escalating case if seller does not have any right?

I am completely sure and honest and if I am not, why would I escalate the case? Why he did not provide me with proves as asked, if he is right? He lives in Germany, the custom does not allow forgery and if it is not authentic, the custom would stop it, but it did not happen. So it is obvious that I am right.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

You can be completely and totally right but it's a buyer said/seller said thing and the buyer will prevail.

I didn't realize it was an international sale and therefore have no idea what the duty will be.  

Anyone help here: On a return, does the seller have to pay customs tax if it wasn't a purchase by the seller?

Again, on ebay escalation is usually an automatic "win" for the buyer; I'm not sure about paypal.

A buyer isn't finding it "funny" or fun to send an item back; the buyer is either truly convinced the item isn't authentic or, and I hate to say this, you could receive a box of tissue and not your scarf and the buyer would still be refunded.  That's the scam part.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Well, that sounds crazy, because seller is the one who pays comission to ebay and paypal and the seller should be protected as well...

Anyway, thank you very much!

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Seller are protected against INR if they have tracking proving delivery.

To keep buyers buying anywhere, there has to be Buyer Protection, money back guarantees.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Spoiler
Yes, escalation is a required step on PayPal and is not an automatic win for a buyer or loss for the seller. I am embroiled in a SNAD claim on PayPal (they lost the eBay claim) and escalation was the last step I completed. I'm sure I'll eventually end up taking the return but at least it's not the easy slam-dunk for the buyer on PayPal as it is on eBay.

-C
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I'm not sure how or why it added spoiler on my previous post...weird!!

-C

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Can you, please explain that part about seller protection, I do not know what is INR and the item is delivered, obviously. Excuse me if I did not understand well, english is not my language. Thank you
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

You can be completely and totally right but it's a buyer said/seller said thing and the buyer will prevail.

I didn't realize it was an international sale and therefore have no idea what the duty will be.  

Anyone help here: On a return, does the seller have to pay customs tax if it wasn't a purchase by the seller?

Again, on ebay escalation is usually an automatic "win" for the buyer; I'm not sure about paypal.

A buyer isn't finding it "funny" or fun to send an item back; the buyer is either truly convinced the item isn't authentic or, and I hate to say this, you could receive a box of tissue and not your scarf and the buyer would still be refunded.  That's the scam part.

They shouldn't have to if it's marked as a return.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

They shouldn't have to if it's marked as a return.

Agreed. I have not had to use the option myself, but when printing an international shipping label on-line and you get to the Customs form part of the procedure (as seen on the U.S. eBay site, anyway; I'm looking at it now), one ofthe options on the "Type of items in package" pulldown menu is "Return," so you would select that.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@2lola4 wrote:
Can you, please explain that part about seller protection, I do not know what is INR and the item is delivered, obviously. Excuse me if I did not understand well, english is not my language. Thank you

INR = Item Not Received.

If a buyer files an item not received claim, the buyer will win if the seller can't prove delivery with online tracking.

If the seller can prove delivery with onine tracking, the seller will win.

When buyers file a not as described claim, the buyers usually win, but not always.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply