cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What categories/subcategories would YOU like to see have a variations option?

Saw a post on the chat requesting a variations option for a particular category and it set me thinking as I was planning on utilising the variation option in the wake of the GTC mandate but found the categories where these were available was now very limited (even though the help pages insist they are available 'in most categories').

My first choice would be to get back the option under Decorative Collectible Brands.

What's yours?

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Why not all of them? I don't really see any downside to having the option (not the requirement) for a seller to create a MV listing for their items if they please. As long as the abusers get penalized.

As many headaches MV always give me, they are still the way to go for me.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

Why not all of them? I don't really see any downside to having the option (not the requirement) for a seller to create a MV listing for their items if they please. As long as the abusers get penalized.

Your items are absolutely suited for Variations, of course not just on eBay almost everywhere online those types of items are sold via variation style pages.

I'm not sure sellers can be trusted to understand the true meaning of the word "variations" at least not in the eBay sense. Or perhaps they know exactly but just ignore. eBay hasn't done a great job finding the abusers although it feels to me like there are fewer problematic ones these days.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

Why not indeed. I'm sure they have their reasons for restricting them. Lord knows there's enough MV abuse out there as it is, but some categories could really use them.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for starting this thread. I'm always running across categories where I need the variation option but it's not available. For starters-

Books > Accessories > Blank Diaries & Journals

Books > Accessories > Bookmarks

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Lawn and garden...

Have a great day
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

If eBay does it for some they should do it for all, due to limited categories in variations it just leads to listed items in unrelated categories. Also the list of acceptable categories on the variations info page is incorrect. Home & Garden should have variations I believe. Also if GTC is not good for your business please contact eBay regarding the issues explaining the reasons why it effects your business negatively because all sellers are effected but some far worse then others. 

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@870jewel wrote:

If eBay does it for some they should do it for all, due to limited categories in variations it just leads to listed items in unrelated categories.

This is also very true. I see it happen many times with other sellers.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Could it be that the MV option is not compatible with their catalogue plans and eBay wishes to keep MV out of certain categories / subcatagories that they wish to have high catalogue compliance (also leading to better "suggested items") in the future?

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I doubt it as they allow MV in such categories as cell phone cases LOL

Another category that could benefit would be in puzzles where you may have items that are different designs but all the one series/artist, same as in Collector Plates etc.

I just don't understand why they've taken the option away from categories where they used to allow it either.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Earlier in the thread someone posted:  Books > Accessories > Bookmarks  I would like to see that one as well. 

As a seller, I would also like to see Variations listings for items less than $ .99

As a buyer, I would like to see Variations listings in all categories, for anything/everything that I might be seeking to purchase, of course. More options, in one listing, at the time of purchase can only be better for me to get exactly what I want without having to click on, read through, and compare several listings.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Exactly. I often get asked "do you have the xxx one?" If it was a variation listing they could already SEE all the variations I had available in that particular item.
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

As you asked in chat this week......here you go, here's some.

tyler@ebay 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
Exactly. I often get asked "do you have the xxx one?" If it was a variation listing they could already SEE all the variations I had available in that particular item.

BELIEVE ME. Even if you had that particular variation in the same listing, you'd still get some buyers asking you that question. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Well you might, but you seem to attract the "fun" buyers = )
Message 15 of 23
latest reply