cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your general sales patterns during the year? When do you notice more sales?

For the first time in my eBay "career" I have reached the 200 free listings cap that we receive as sellers. This has me a little nervous, as I routinely go out to thrifts everyday and find goodies to sell. Recently, I was experiencing an increase in sales and it almost got *crazy* - but after the Christmas holiday, I have had barely anything sell. I have an uneasy feeling that things are getting ready to screech to a halt. I have over 140 things listed currently, and will be cancelling their recurrence if they don't sell within the next 20 or so days....I'm wondering if anyone has noticed a unique pattern for sales depending on the time of year vs many different things. I hope I am clear with what I am asking. Thank you!

elvis animated GIF
Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: What are your general sales patterns during the year? When do you notice more sales?

@van-loo  I took a long " drooling" look at your listings, please tell me....those concert tickets...did you actually go see Styx, Kansas, Jefferson Starship, Mr. Bob S. and Yes?????? OMG! 

Message 16 of 41
latest reply

Re: What are your general sales patterns during the year? When do you notice more sales?

2020 was an unusual year for me.  While total sales for the year were average,  mid-May thru mid-Sept were unusually good - Oct thru Dec were the worst in 20 years .    I closed down from Dec 7-24 - a few days earlier than normal.  Usually the last week of December when I return is good - not this year.

The only pattern/changes I have seen is what has been selling.   I have four accounts - no stores - two were opted into managed payments a few weeks ago - two have not yet gotten an invite.  

2020 saw a significant increase in my bookstore and crafts accounts - collectibles were down slightly while sports stuff (usually my best sellers) have all but died since March.    Until 2020  Jan-Mar was always my best quarter - it will be interesting to see how sales fare in the first quarter of 2021. 

Message 17 of 41
latest reply

I see the most sales the first and last weeks of the month.  Doesn't matter what time of the year.

Message 18 of 41
latest reply

@vintageantique77 wrote:

For the first time in my eBay "career" I have reached the 200 free listings cap that we receive as sellers. This has me a little nervous, as I routinely go out to thrifts everyday and find goodies to sell. Recently, I was experiencing an increase in sales and it almost got *crazy* - but after the Christmas holiday, I have had barely anything sell. I have an uneasy feeling that things are getting ready to screech to a halt. I have over 140 things listed currently, and will be cancelling their recurrence if they don't sell within the next 20 or so days....I'm wondering if anyone has noticed a unique pattern for sales depending on the time of year vs many different things. I hope I am clear with what I am asking. Thank you!

I think it depends on what each sellers offers. I mainly sell vintage collectibles so my sales increase after Christmas. I've always thought that my buyers choose to purchase for themselves once the gift giving is over because January and February are typically my best months....

Message 19 of 41
latest reply

I've seen a large increase in sales since April.  Every day is still random.  Zero sales days still pop up.  I had 0 on Wed. then 11 on Thurs.  31 over the course of the week.  Usually have about 500 listings.   There could be a lull after the holidays simply because people spend for Christmas.  It might be different this year because many did not travel or splurge on gifts.  Last Jan. was awful.   Hoping it's not a repeat.  Good luck to all.    🙂

Message 20 of 41
latest reply

Don't worry.  I've been selling on eBay for about 15 years and have a clear understanding to sales patterns.

It goes like this:

1st week starts off slow then by the 2nd week the sales drop a little bit more.  Then the  3rd week sales level off to almost nothing but when the last week rolls by I'm hit with returns.

Hang in there champ!

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

I use ebay as an online garage sale mostly for my kid's clothes and toys.  Summer slows down since there are real yard sales to compete with.

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

If I list consistently, I sell consistently.  That's all I've got.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 23 of 41
latest reply

If it's not listed, it CAN'T sell......

There are seasons for certain categories, this is true. But some things, like Christmas, sell year round. 

Were it me, if I were just a "hobby" type seller, I would leave up your listings (you aren't out anything as your listing are absolutely free) and would consider opening a second store IF you need more listings. If you want to grow, pay for a store. 

There are SOME categories that are pretty seasonal, but lots of things sell at "off times" of the year. When I sold clothing, I've sold sweaters in the middle of summer. Food for thought. 

Message 24 of 41
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@vintageantique77. Well, my Buds 1st let me wish you a very prosperous New Year!

You know you live in a glorious part of the US just filled with treasures up the " ying yang" and I personally think you have an advantage over a lot of us especially me.

On ebay, I sell collectables and lots. Never seen a trend for me online. Now when I buy on ebay say for Christmas, I start in October and I buy embroidered vintage kitchen towels for gifts to the gals I work with at the thrift shop and they are getting harder to find and more expensive every year.

Now at my store in the Antique mall, different story. I cannot keep dial phones in colors in stock...HOT! ( so get some pink ones) Elvis is big too, porcelain dogs 50s-60s, Hoodies with graphics and rock star tees...big now but in our summers it won't be.

Now I did real good this year before the holidays and supplied a lot of Pyrex measuring cups, divided dishes, baking dishes and all have been snatched up and sold.

Now I've already started on vintage glamping and camp gear..50s plaid thermos, green coolers, 50s Motel postcards and blankets and that will be in April when that will be displayed.

You have a good eye for collectables not everyone does. Good rule to live by: "buy what you like, you may get stuck with it!

Take care still got cha saved as a seller!

That is interesting that nobody else sees a pattern. After my onset of anxiety, I had 9 things sell all at once! I guess it's all just a waiting game. Glad to hear you're selling things, too! I really like that rule to live by...Made me chuckle.

Thanks 😉

elvis animated GIF
Message 25 of 41
latest reply

@jayjaspersgarage 

@jayjaspersgarage wrote:

That would be "rotary" phones that you need to dial.  Back in the 1970's you had to be very clever to get a phone number with the last four digits  to be threes, twos or ones.  It sucked if your customers had to dial 9680 at the end of your number.

Very interesting jay, didn't know that..did know that phones before 1973 were hardwired. I know I pick them up anytime I see them. Those Snoopy phones, had 1 and didn't last a week!

I was heartbroken here in NC a few week ago at a local estate sale - a woman had a Dawn Gray Automatic electric telephone in her kitchen - hardwired into the cabinet. The telephone would probably bring 200 - 300. She wouldn't let it go for anything. It was a part of the house....Oh well!

elvis animated GIF
Message 26 of 41
latest reply

@van-loo wrote:

Holiday season I was selling like crazy, but this week has been very slowed. I mainly sell antiques and it is a niche market. I take the to slow times to list more items. I have huge sells for weeks and then it slows down some.  I'm not for sure why my sells slow down, but I use the time to list as much as I can. I have a Premium store, and have over 800 items for sell. I never know when a item will sell, but I have learned that all items sell some sooner than others.

Do the store subscription prices get in the way of your profits? I imagine selling antiques these items must be at a healthy price. 800 items is a lot of items.  Wishing you great sales!

elvis animated GIF
Message 27 of 41
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

2020 was an unusual year for me.  While total sales for the year were average,  mid-May thru mid-Sept were unusually good - Oct thru Dec were the worst in 20 years .    I closed down from Dec 7-24 - a few days earlier than normal.  Usually the last week of December when I return is good - not this year.

The only pattern/changes I have seen is what has been selling.   I have four accounts - no stores - two were opted into managed payments a few weeks ago - two have not yet gotten an invite.  

2020 saw a significant increase in my bookstore and crafts accounts - collectibles were down slightly while sports stuff (usually my best sellers) have all but died since March.    Until 2020  Jan-Mar was always my best quarter - it will be interesting to see how sales fare in the first quarter of 2021. 

I am noticing that people have several accounts...Is this legal? The only downside I can see is that opening more and more accounts can take a little bit of time to build a reputation with buyers. I would be leery of buying from a 0 feedback seller. I could see how the multiple accounts could gain you more listings....Might try that if I keep finding good merch.

elvis animated GIF
Message 28 of 41
latest reply

@namtrag1 wrote:

Don't worry.  I've been selling on eBay for about 15 years and have a clear understanding to sales patterns.

It goes like this:

1st week starts off slow then by the 2nd week the sales drop a little bit more.  Then the  3rd week sales level off to almost nothing but when the last week rolls by I'm hit with returns.

Hang in there champ!

Shucks! 🙂

elvis animated GIF
Message 29 of 41
latest reply

@vintageantique77 

@vintageantique77 wrote:

@jayjaspersgarage 

@jayjaspersgarage wrote:

That would be "rotary" phones that you need to dial.  Back in the 1970's you had to be very clever to get a phone number with the last four digits  to be threes, twos or ones.  It sucked if your customers had to dial 9680 at the end of your number.

Very interesting jay, didn't know that..did know that phones before 1973 were hardwired. I know I pick them up anytime I see them. Those Snoopy phones, had 1 and didn't last a week!

I was heartbroken here in NC a few week ago at a local estate sale - a woman had a Dawn Gray Automatic electric telephone in her kitchen - hardwired into the cabinet. The telephone would probably bring 200 - 300. She wouldn't let it go for anything. It was a part of the house....Oh well!

And you didn't rip that phone off the wall when she wasn't looking??? Ugh! Do you ever visit that antique mall called Needful things? That place is huge.

Message 30 of 41
latest reply