cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I have seller protection against INR?

I'm posting this prematurely because it just happened but I'm curious how this may play out. 

• Buyer purchased and paid for item. 
  • Got notification of sale, printed shipping label and sent item out within an hour of payment
  • Hours later, while looking at transaction and recording of fees/costs to my spreadsheet, I saw that buyer had left note requesting different shipping address. 
  • Let buyer know that item went out hours earlier and it went to the address shown on the order. 
  • (Had I seen this message sooner, I would have refunded and told the buyer to repay putting the correct address as the shipping address.)

Today, I saw this in the tracking: 

delivery exception.png

1. Will I be protected against INR should the buyer file?
2. WHY OH WHY doesn't ebay make notes that are sent with payment more readily viewable?!?!!? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Yes you will be protected because you sent to the address on file.

This note was not from eBay. It is from USPS. 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Although I don't know why it says it was 'picked up' and then an hour later says 'forwarded' (probably an error made by the post office) but looks like the buyer has a 'forwarding address' in, so it should still 'deliver'. 

If the buyer were to file an INR, you would just input the tracking number- not sure if the 'delivered' on the 2nd line would suffice since it was 'overridden' by the latest tracking info.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

1. Will I be protected against INR should the buyer file?

You should be, as forwarding the item to another address negates an INR dispute for the original address. Actually I would say that the buyer handled this in the best possible manner as you had already shipped it. He apparently filed a forwarding order with the PO on-line, which took effect quickly enough that his package was forwarded as requested. I don't foresee an INR dispute here.

2. WHY OH WHY doesn't ebay make notes that are sent with payment more readily viewable?!?!!? 

Well, they do, IMHO. I see a banner line across the item on my Sold Items page if the buyer added a note. It's shown there against a colored background, hard to miss. 

However, you said that you'd shipped hours before the buyer's message was received, so it doesn't sound like you missed anything at shipping time.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Was it me... I'd spend the day thinking that my buyer had in a forwarding order. Why the buyer didn't change the address on the order (or their address in the Account Settings) is beyond me. At least that'll buy you a day. 😐

Hang in there...

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

That sure looks like a 'valid' forwarding note.....

Buyer may have moved and have a forwarding order at their old address (which is quite normal) and forgot to change their ebay address....you may even get a "Delivered" result from this. I have seen this once before....it showed Arrived at Location after Forwarding, but it did not give me the "Delievered" Status. (Yes, I did get feedback from customer as well as a confirmation they had moved)

The buyer notes show up on the desktop pretty prevalent (both on the item line as well as the shipping label), but I, too, have missed them somehow...(usually in the mad rush to get it out of here quickly) LOL

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

Well, they do, IMHO. I see a banner line across the item on my Sold Items page if the buyer added a note. It's shown there against a colored background, hard to miss. 

However, you said that you'd shipped hours before the buyer's message was received, so it doesn't sound like you missed anything at shipping time.

The message was there when payment was made, but I hadn't gone to the "sold items" page. I just clicked on the "PAID - SHIP NOW" button in the upper right corner. The message doesn't show there! 

albertabrightalberta

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for the replies.

Now I'll have to wait to see if it gets there, shows delivered and hopefully, all will be well. 

or........

If delivery shows to a different zip code (which it will) than the original shipping label, and if the buyer isn't honest and claims INR, I might have to fight it since the delivery zip will differ from the original shipping label. 

TBH, the buyer doesn't seem sketchy. I think he moved about 8 months ago and probably forgot to update ebay.

albertabrightalberta

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

TBH, the buyer doesn't seem sketchy. I think he moved about 8 months ago and probably forgot to update ebay.

Forwarding requests last for 6 mos with USPS. Buyer must have implemented forwarding within the last 6 mos since it's still active.

Send the buyer this link and advise then to update both their registration and stored shipping address. And to check next time they order that no old address is appearing on the checkout page.

https://accountsettings.ebay.com/uas/addresses

I agree with others that buyer probably moved and you have nothing to worry about - package is being forwarded to their new address.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

You should be. The buyer looses their MBG coverage when the mail is forwarded. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1673632707303.png

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

It's a little sketchy and not usually something you see,  Because they make that buyer's note before they actually pay as they're checking out so why wouldn't they just edit their address instead?

Usually you get the request to change address from people who forgot to change it and have already paid

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Forwarding requests last for 6 mos with USPS. Buyer must have implemented forwarding within the last 6 mos since it's still active.

Send the buyer this link and advise then to update both their registration and stored shipping address. And to check next time they order that no old address is appearing on the checkout page.

https://accountsettings.ebay.com/uas/addresses

I agree with others that buyer probably moved and you have nothing to worry about - package is being forwarded to their new address.

Actually, forwarding orders are 12 months so I suspect it's been in effect the entire time and he just forgot to update ebay.

Standard mail forwarding lasts 12 months. You can pay to extend mail forwarding for 6, 12, or 18 more months (18 months is the maximum). To purchase Extended Mail Forwarding, you can add it when you first submit your change-of-address request or if you later edit your request.

albertabrightalberta

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Actually, forwarding orders are 12 months 

Thanks for that info! Last time I used the service (personally) it was only 6 mos so I was going off old info.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

#2...The Note is right on top of the order.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

One reason this can happen is buyer A has a family member/really good friend who gets sick or hurt.  A then temporarily moves in with friend/family B to take care of them, and files a forwarding address for the duration so they don't have to truck home and get their mail.   Mail goes to B's address for the Duration, and then the forwarding is cancelled.  It also happens in work-related situations.   

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 15 of 16
latest reply