cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your Goals, Plans, and Hopes for October 2021?

Each month, we all try to set goals, make plans, or just put together a quick list of the things we want to accomplish, resolve, achieve, or finish during that month. This thread has been a tradition of the Building/Starting An eBay Business boards for as long as I can recall. It's also a chance for those participating to socialize a bit without violating board rules.

So...

- Christmas shopping is beginning.  Do you have 4th quarter plans?

- Covid-related shopping seems to be slowing as more businesses continue to open/get closer to normal.  What impact do you expect from this?

- How do you plan to accomodate the annual shipping rate increases?  Do you think they will be just seasonal or will some part or all of the increases become permanent?

Welcome to all our newest posters!  If you have a specific question, try using Board Search to see if it's been discussed, or is still currently being discussed.  If not, why not start your own discussion and see what the group can come up with?  Remember, no personally identifiable info, for yourself or any other member involved, and not all problem will have reasonable solutions.

So let's take on October 2021 and make it our own!!

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: What are your Goals, Plans, and Hopes for October 2021?

Joe, TAKE the trip! It sounds like a fun opportunity!  Now, I'd prefer to be on land, but for someone who likes boats and fishing, it just makes sense to go! 

Bob, thanks for the science lesson! 

Legessi, I can't even imagine that move! It sounds like quite the adventure. All those animals alone had to be big fun to move!

I can't believe you had to sell for below asking.

That is an amazing view! 2 hours to work is a haul. The dining room "office" is so convenient.  Is the 2hour drive just an occasional trip, or are you going to have to start actually GOING to work regularly? 

Message 76 of 88
latest reply

my goal was to list 20 items a day. The item specific debacle. derailed that plan, I had to update over 400 items. I am listing elsewhere in November. 

Message 77 of 88
latest reply

@rosachs wrote:

@bokhoma wrote:

I was going to post on the board here how I got around the loop that kept just reloading the page and would not give us access to this forum.  But then I thought about it.  If someone could read my solution they were already on the board.   And If they could not get to the board they could not read my solution.  So, what was the point of posting that?

I think I have an opportunity to spend a night 40 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico on a 36 ft boat this Winter.  There would be a group of 5 guys plus the captain.   We would fish, eat, drink and have a good time.  But the best part would be watching the night sky that far out.   We would be far away from the city lights and the normal pollution is not nearly as bad down here as it is up North.  Winter down here is the calmest weather and best time to go.  I just may do it.

Onward and upward....

Joe

Uh... we can find the discussion be entering "What Are Your Goals" into the Search box for the board... just type and wait and a list of discussion threads with matching titles will show up.  Select the one you want and away you go.  I'd be curious to hear how you got it to work again....

The boat trip sounds interesting, but I'm more of an ice fisher than an open water fisher.  When you can drive your car on the water, you're pretty much guaranteed that 'falling overboard' won't be an issue.  🙂  But at least you're heading west.... there's no 'Bermuda Triangle' west of Floriday.  🙂

Interesting factoid:  There is a 'Bermuda Triangle in Space' off the southeast coast of South America.  It's bad enough that satellites and pretty much anything going thru that section of space in Earth orbit have to take precautions or risk becoming disabled.  Scientists have determined that there is a dip in the protective shield that surrounds the planet - the space station files just below this shield - and because of the dip, more cosmic radiation exposure is possible when passing thru that section of orbit.  Thank You to "How The Universe Works"!!

-Bob.

I really need to re-read, slowly, before I post.  I can't believe the number of misspellings....

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 78 of 88
latest reply

Two more days...

Just have to survive two... more... days...

______
I am a volunteer here to try and help others, so be nice and remember - My advice might well be worth what you're paying for it.
Message 79 of 88
latest reply

Bob, I think we all have misspellings when we're posting. I am not sure how so many people post and listings things from a phone. I'd have so many misspellings, I'd be mistaken for illiterate! 

I finished updating all of the required new stupid item specifics, except where it won't let me because of multi-variations which in some cases appear to be totally started as new listings from scratch. This is not the first time ebay has done this either. I don't know why they think it's acceptable to screw up our listings that we've spent countless hours creating, only to have to redo them when someone up top comes up with some brilliant idea to screw everything up. 

Message 80 of 88
latest reply

I had nearly completed the item specifics, and now they have reversed themselves again. Oh well, not again. LOL! I had another ebay sale today. The month is nearly over, and I have had nine sales on here and three locally. I hardly list on here anymore. I did buy something yesterday that I need to list on here. I figured it was so cute that I would keep it myself if it doesn't sell.

Summer sails for you like a Midsummer Night's Dream!
Message 81 of 88
latest reply

At goal 20/20, but no sales yet this weekend.  Probably because of Halloween.  As far as items specifics, I have started to update but if they keep changing, then why?  They have bowls under platters, it is all messed up.  I am sure it is not helping in searches, etc.  Not good for our sales either.  It is so frustrating, especially this time of year.  downright-I agree with you 100%.

Legessi-welcome back!  I am hoping you are here on a regular basis.  I am glad you are liking Kentucky.  It looks beautiful.

Joe-Like everybody else, I think you should go on the trip.  It sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Fall is finally here.  Finally seeing the leaves turn.  We may plan a short day trip next week just to view the leaves changing.

Decided not to give out candy today.  Having a cook-out and ex is here doing some work on the house.  Lola (our dog) barks at everybody and its a challenge to keep her in the house, so just with all that, not giving out candy this year.

Happy Halloween everybody!

Message 82 of 88
latest reply

Hi everyone!

4 sales and my goal was 5, considering I only have a handful of listings I will take it.  Searching out other avenues since I do need to make money after my huge salary cut with the move and of course prices are going crazy everywhere

This house has 2 or 3 projects going on every week while we try to prep for winter.  So far we have new propane lines, new gas stove, dishwasher, washer & dryer, dog kennels, poorly built horse stalls, 3 new turn out fields, 2 run in sheds, new steps, new water lines in the bathroom (the only one), basement was stripped to the studs due to mold issues, this week we are replacing the basement door, having the basement investigated to see the best way to prevent the mold from returning, hiring an electrician to rewire the entire house...who knows what next week will bring...oh the Keeneland horse sales...of course I will be there 🙂

I dont understand the new categories...collectors are going to leave in droves, and the item specifics are stupid...everytime an auction is listed, I am sure to fill in all I can and then I have to edit and then do it all again when the auction is relisted....too time consuming for the little return 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is: Try to please everybody. Herbert Bayard Swope
Message 83 of 88
latest reply

14/10 SO I HAVE 14 WINS.  NO FRIENDS AT MY CASA.

I HAVE 400 AUCTIONS DOWN.  I HAVE BEEN HAVING AMARILLO TEXAS, MESA AZ, JOPLIN HAVE A BUNCH OF BUTTONS LISTED.  SO I HAVE NOT  ANY SOLD....

WELL, I AM TRIED TO BRING SOME NEW LISTING.

I AM TRY SOME NEW LISTING......

CLAY

Message 84 of 88
latest reply

Found it!!   The non-pinned post!   I too have been unable to get anywhere with the pinned one.

Greetings to all the new folks....greetings to all the returnees....greetings to everyone!

My sales for the month were a dismal 44.  Worse than even 2019....

I am drowning in item specifics...can't hardly get anything done with them.

I am drowning in inventory.  No time to list and had been adding more ....I have gone from a mini-global empire to a universe sized empire.   I am not sure I will even have room for the free shipping materials my store gets.  Of course when I go off to work, DH says "please don't bring anything home".

Work has been stressful, but I see some light at the end of the tunnel.   One of the guys has stepped up and expressed interest in being a sale manager....which I have been forced to do and totally hate.   Boss has been back the past week and will be here another three days....seeing how things have been done and what needs to be changed.  Not a happy man, but that's what happens when you really don't pay attention to what is going on and you hear only one voice.   Just keeping my head down, I think, trying to stay out of the cross-fire.

Other than that....saw a six point deer this afternoon.  He's a young guy.   Haven't been seeing  a lot of deer, the neighbor below puts corn out for them so they have changed their path.   There is quite a flood of chipmunks and a surprising absence of squirrels.  Owl has moved back up the ridge.  And we have a bumper crop of ACORNS that all see to fall on the roof before ending up on the deck or the ground. (glad we do not have a metal roof).

Looking forward to November.

Message 85 of 88
latest reply

Postcard...I had to laugh at your acorns...the new house has a metal roof...acorns on the back, walnuts to the right and chestnuts to the left...it sounds like artillery fire on windy nights 🙂  Took me a few days to get used to it.  I also have a very evil chipmunk who I swear throws nuts at me ...I need a hard hat to go outside.

Ended with 4 sales in October..not really bad considering most of the month I only had 10 or fewer listings..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is: Try to please everybody. Herbert Bayard Swope
Message 86 of 88
latest reply

Postcard, glad you're back! I too had to giggle at the acorns.  We live in a subdivision, (hate it) and have a teeny little yard that has a very steep drop off down/ravine but we have had 2 regular fawns coming through, so I have been tossing corn out for them. I haven't seen them in a week or so now, but I could just be missing them. The squirrels will eat all the corn if the deer don't come by, so I never know who has eaten in. 

My empire has grown into a universe as well. I am drowning too and still want to hire that listing fairy, but am just not sure I can swing it. I know once more listings went up and sold, it'd pay for the help, but in the meantime....

Sales this past weekend were awful, especially considering it's 4th quarter. I am sure ebay's category and IS changes are NOT helping. Everything is a mess. I am sure we've lost a lot of buyers and will lose more as they leave out of frustration. 

Legessi, it sound's like the house is quite the fixer upper, but you are sure putting the work in! 

Message 87 of 88
latest reply

Got the link set up to the November discussion / thread:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/What-are-your-Goals-Plans-and-Hopes-for-November-2021/m-p/3243... 

Here's a trick I'm planning to try, at least until they getting 'floating' to work as it should:

1.  Open the link above.  If you need to keep reading these notes, right-click the link and select "Open in a New Tab" so you can switch back and forth.

2. Once the page has opened and fully displayed, use your browser's "Favorite" feature to save the link.  I actually create a folder on the 'bookmark bar' for eBay links and will be saving this link to that folder.  I can then move it to the top of the list within the folder for faster location.

3. Avoid the aggravation of yet another piece of software that's not doing what it should and doesn't seem to be getting any attention.

If you have any questions, send me a direct message and I'll see if I can walk you thru it.  I have four active browsers, so I can screenshot if needed.  But I don't do Mac.  🙂

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 88 of 88
latest reply