cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your Goals, Plans, and Hopes for October 2021?

Each month, we all try to set goals, make plans, or just put together a quick list of the things we want to accomplish, resolve, achieve, or finish during that month. This thread has been a tradition of the Building/Starting An eBay Business boards for as long as I can recall. It's also a chance for those participating to socialize a bit without violating board rules.

So...

- Christmas shopping is beginning.  Do you have 4th quarter plans?

- Covid-related shopping seems to be slowing as more businesses continue to open/get closer to normal.  What impact do you expect from this?

- How do you plan to accomodate the annual shipping rate increases?  Do you think they will be just seasonal or will some part or all of the increases become permanent?

Welcome to all our newest posters!  If you have a specific question, try using Board Search to see if it's been discussed, or is still currently being discussed.  If not, why not start your own discussion and see what the group can come up with?  Remember, no personally identifiable info, for yourself or any other member involved, and not all problem will have reasonable solutions.

So let's take on October 2021 and make it our own!!

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: What are your Goals, Plans, and Hopes for October 2021?

Ah, Bob, glad you posted with the "widget" not displaying......Mine's been like that since they closed our board.  As you say, it will now show nothing, at one point it still show the messages when one clicked on it.....but gone now.  I tried to report but no one else had the problem apparently, and of course nothing done.

All these glitches are really discouraging.  Not being able to view seller's history or items makes it tough to try to answer many posts. 

I warn everyone that I've had a number of posts disappear when I've tried to post them.  Get the old error message.  I don't think they are saving anymore.....so that you can reload them if something happens.  I've been trying to remember to copy before I hit the reply button.....  My brain doesn't always remember tho. 

Sales picked up for me a bit....hopefully will continue.....  getting some Xmas stuff sold....  Finally turned cold here and driving me nuts.  Just got put on b/p medication in June and finally, after 2 months seemed to be ok with 4th medication we tried.  Now I'm freezing to death when temp go below 60, bone cold and that was the reason we went thru 4 different ones in the summer.....got cold even then.  I'm from the south and loved the weather here.....cold doesn't (didn't) bother me;  down there, hot weather kept me inside from June thru Sept.  Now on a pill every other day and still cold when the temps drop (house is at 70, we kicked up from 68).  B/p in 120/60 range, tho dips sometimes to 112 so even cutting in half doesn't kick it up.  Not happy.

Hope upward sales continue for ALL..........

Message 61 of 88
latest reply

My Goal?

To PRAY to the Gods that eBay will FIRE their Management Team and get a new one that has enough common sense to know how counter-productive it is to change so many categories, etc. during our most profitable time of year! Sales have tanked to near nothing for many since Oct. 14 and the once-profitable Holiday Season is proving to be a loss as Buyers flee eBay to purchase elsewhere.

Message 62 of 88
latest reply

@bauble-babes wrote:

My Goal?

To PRAY to the Gods that eBay will FIRE their Management Team and get a new one that has enough common sense to know how counter-productive it is to change so many categories, etc. during our most profitable time of year! Sales have tanked to near nothing for many since Oct. 14 and the once-profitable Holiday Season is proving to be a loss as Buyers flee eBay to purchase elsewhere.

While God may hear you, I think he had an easier time with the Egyptian Pharaoh than he would with eBay C-level execs.  They see only the monthly numbers - nothing else much matters.  Otherwise their plans would have accommodated their own peak season (4th Qtr) and set more realistic goals.  They don't see the problems caused, only that the money keeps coming in.  And that only happens because, IMHO, there are too many newbies who believe everything eBay tells them about how to make a sale, ignoring the fact that these newbies are losing money on every transaction (but making up for it in volume!!) and will eventually become bitter ex-sellers who spread information that will eventually slow the influx of newbies/chum that keeps the site afloat.

Newbies don't often realize what their real expenses are, or how much of their personal income is used to generate a lesser amount of eBay income.  Or that the eBay income is not yet taxed and will be even less when that occurs.  By the time they learn, it's too late - so much money has been lost that they can't help but view eBay as a hopeless and heartless operation.  And as any experienced retailer knows, one AwS**t erases at least 10 AllRight's.  One disillusioned newbie will 'share their experience' with many of their friends, who will then gravitate to other venues that are perceived as more selller-friendly, or at least not as uncaring of sellers.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 63 of 88
latest reply

Whew, I had a lot of catching up to do again.

The last two weeks were busy. I spent some days helping the DD pack and load trucks. That took a LOT longer than expected and the one truckload they hired movers for didn't even put a dent in the contents of their home! But now they are 90 minutes away and setting in. (they were 7 minutes away). I have not dedicated 3 hours round trip to go check out the new home yet. I'm still sad she took my grandsons so far away, but there were literally no affordable houses around here with the current market. 

Last week we spent 3 days/2 nights in Asheville (NC mountains) that was paid for by the company me two  younger DDs work for. I was shocked that the mountains were still totally green. I was expecting to see a sea of red and orange by now.

I am at around 225/250 for my October goal on here, plus maybe 26-28ish elsewhere. 

Yme is at 170/250. 

Clay, congrats on bypassing your goal. It sounds like you lost some local sales. Maybe as Covid slows down, you can find some new customers. 

Legessi! I'm glad you have found us again! Yay on the move! I hope the weather is a bit less brutal than NY.  I cried a little over hearing that you tossed so much stuff 😞

Did you move all the animals as well? How does Mom like KY? Did you sell the NY house? 

Silverstate, you are right, this really is a good group. I found it years ago after finding that most groups had so many rude, snarky members that I never wanted to post anything.

Summer, I too noticed that you can't see members' items for sale anymore. It makes no sense, especially since the boards often have people asking for selling help, and now we can't even just see their listings simply! More dumb ebay changes that were not thought through....

Katzrul15: Welcome to this group. We're a pretty friendly bunch. 

Joe, I feel you with the neutral. They hurt. I have a neutral right now that was nonsense and a negative that was not due to my error. I sold something that had already sold. I sent a screenshot of the sale to they buyer to show her I wasn't making it up and it had already sold, so I couldn't ship. I apologized repeatedly and offered her something else in my store for up to 3X what she paid for this. (small stuffed animal that isn't rare and is for sale on here by many other sellers). She left a negative, but what can I do but carry on. I wish I could say it was my first. Most of mine over the years have been unwarranted. Luckily they don't come often. 

Bob, The pinned post hasn't worked for me in a long time.

Are you talking the scrabble letter holder little wooden things? If so, I have a bunch. 

I think FB buyers are worse. I get soooo many people who don't read the description, just like here, but also then get so many people who ask questions, ask about availability, say they are coming, and then, nothing.

I had a sealed sz 8/10 costume for sale. "is it available??" yes "Does it come with the costume or just mask?" Um, it says SIZE 8/10 COSTUME then, "can I open to see if it will fit my kid" Noooo, it is sealed in a 20 year old plastic package and once you cut it open, it's no longer sealed. Mind you, all of this for a 5.00 item! 

Last Christmas DH bought me a new camera. One of my main requirements is it has to have a rechargeable battery, so I can use one and switch out to charge it and have another. He bought me one that needed like 4AA batteries, and it was big and heavy. He bought it here because seller had free returns. As soon as I saw it, I knew it wasn't for me. We sent it back. Seller charged an 80.00 fee saying we opened and used it. I didn't even open it. They clearly just wanted to get their free and return shipping back. Ebay refunded it to us, but it made me wonder how many offering free shipping do that. Oops, off on a tangent...

DHbooks: congrats at the 1000. Funny ebay boxes got you there. I hit 10K maybe last month, but seeing my other account has like 6500, I felt like I had hit the 10K feedback a long time ago. Imagine how many we'd have if all buyers left it! 

Sorry your BP meds aren't cooperating. I am already always cold. I couldn't deal with that. 

Debbie, I am one of those with THOUSANDS of listings. I am so sick of them making changes which require us to make so many revisions. They've done it so many times with so many things that it is beyond infuriating, and 4th quarter just makes it even better. 

Richard1st, I don't do free shipping for a couple reasons: 

If they return, I am out that shipping.

When shipping increases, I have to revise thousands of listings.

I have a lot of cheap lightweight items. People see the total and think it's too high.

I tried free shipping a couple years ago when 4oz was about 3.00. I had a pair of American girl brand doll shoes for 6.00 with free shipping because they had some issues. I had a buyer tell me 6.00 was nuts and she'd pay 3. I explained that they were 3.00 but shipping was another 3, which is why they were 6.00. She didn't seem to understand the free shipping was being paid for by me. 

Divwido: sorry chemo is taking your hair. 😞  On the plus side, it grows back. 💕

Message 64 of 88
latest reply

Not much to say except for sold 4 this weekend.  So now at 17/20.  Finally sold some Christmas plates.  Hubby says just give it time as far as Christmas sales.  I haven't worked on any new listings but have a lot of items ready to take pictures of.  I have been working on a few listings a day to update categories, etc.    I have to pull most items from inventory, then add the item specifics and some are even recently added items.  It has been a royal pain.  

Welcome to all the newbies that have posted.  This is a great group of people.  I have been posting here several years now.  

downright-sorry your daughter moved so far away.  The positive thing is that they are close enough for a long weekend or overnight trip.  Maybe you can meet half way so you can have the grandkids for the weekend.  We did that once with my son when we lived in Arkansas.  We met outside of St. Louis and went to the zoo and enjoyed the pool at the hotel.  We made a long weekend of family time, it ended up being a memorable visit.  I have also heard that Ashville is a very pretty area in NC, but here in Indiana our leaves haven't turned yet either.

Haven't been doing any listing because I have been down with a bad head cold.  Hubby had it first.  I rarely ever get sick.  I hope that this is not an indication of what the winter season is going to be.  Hoping this is my one and only.  But now I have my days and nights mixed up.

Everybody have a good week and happy selling!

Message 65 of 88
latest reply

@downrightspecialkids 

How nice of you to address everyone, warmed my heart and my achy feet. Another day at the thrift ( I work Monday and Friday) getting slammed as usual. This is our garage sale season and snow birds are back so it donations on steroids. We receive our stuff outside under a tent, then bring it in on carts. So the dumpster diving lady was standing there waiting to pounce and also in my way, I asked if she needed help and she said " no I'm waiting to go thru your can here" ugggg now mind you we are looking at 9 car loads of donations here.

I told her" no, not today and normally I don't care but not today!!!

This job is going to kill me, I never worked this hard being a nurse! Brutal!

Message 66 of 88
latest reply

Debbie, I agree the disappearing and redoing new Item Specifics is a royal pain. 

When we first visited NC and drove from WI, it was the end of October and all the trees in the mountains were orange and red. I don't know why everything was still green this time. Oh well. It was still a nice little getaway. 

I'm sorry to hear you have a head cold. Let's hope it's a one time thing! Last fall my one DD and I got a head cold. No one else in the house did, and that was the worst that happened over the entire cold season. We also pretty much stayed home all winter due to Covid, so that probably helped too. 

Silverstate: I hadn't posted in so long that I really had to catch up, and had so many responses! 

What state do you live in? I'm guessing FL or somewhere warm since you referenced snow birds. 

Working at a thrift sounds like it could be so interesting, although I'd be buying up all of the junk!   I can't believe you have dumpster divers just waiting in the way. 

I am sure it's exhausting work.  Do you get first dibs on stuff you'd like to buy? 

Message 67 of 88
latest reply

LMAO at this point? To pay my bills, not get evicted. These changes have REAL WORLD EFFECTS on the sellers.

Message 68 of 88
latest reply

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome back...I appreciate it.   Had another sale yesterday so 3 for October...I only started listing again a few weeks ago after shutting everything down in late July so am trying to get used to all the changes.  I HATE the new categories....so many are missing, it doesnt make sense but the powers that be, need to keep making changes to justify their jobs I am sure.   Also the specifics make no sense, as soon as I list something I have to go in and click the dont remind me again button...if I had something to enter I would geesh...truly is crazy but my store subscription goes through April so I am here for a while.

DRSK, I think the trees are late changing because it was such a warm September.  When I pulled out of the driveway in NY just after Labor Day, the trees were starting to change which was normal but down here the maples are just starting to change although my walnut tree lost all its leaves a month ago.  

Yes, all the horses, dogs and most of the cats made the trip.   4 trailers full of horses, a vanload of dogs, 3 moving vans and me with the horse trailer filled mainly with feral cats...I couldnt catch them all but I told the buyers of the place that I left a few behind and they were OK with it since its a farm, they actually had hoped I would leave them all ...no, I liked getting the tar scratched out of me while I trapped them 🙂    Yes, we sold the place in NY for 20% less than asking price and then they still nickle and dimed us at closing to get even more off!  Crazy but we were already living here so didnt want to worry about that place...never looking back now ..loving KY.  

I actually have to drive in to work tomorrow...1st time since last december..its a 2hr drive so I am not looking forward to putting on clothes, makeup and driving in to the big city hahahahaha...I have gotten lazy at the walk to the dining room table and wearing PJ's most of the day.  

Here's to a great end of October for all of us.     taken 10/23/2021taken 10/23/2021   This was this morning

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure--which is: Try to please everybody. Herbert Bayard Swope
Message 69 of 88
latest reply

LEGESSI,

HEAR FROM YOU.  I HOPE YOU MADE A FINALY MOVE.  

I AM NOT MAKING MANY SELL MUCH NOT 12 SALES.  I USED TO MAKE A LOT OF FRIEND A LOT OF SALES.  I  HAVE NO SALES FROM MY FRIEND FROM  AT THE GHOST TOWN FOR 6 MONTH.

GREAT FROM HEAR.

CLAY

Message 70 of 88
latest reply

legessi....welcome back.  I hope you enjoy Eastern Ky.  Had a lot of dealings and travel there back in the day.  Lovely county.   You must buy some Wildcat blue clothing and learn to scream.....really scream: 'GO BIG BLUE' if you are going to fit in back there.   I was a Louisville fan and wore RED.   I was a true outcast when I traveled that part of the state or any part of the state outside metro Louisville.

Nice fall colors in your photo.   I enjoyed that when I lived up North but I also knew they came with a warning that Winter was near.   It can be a longgggggggg time between the brilliant Fall colors and the Spring awakening.....a long time.   The leaves turning seem to motivate the snow birds up North to start thinking South and Florida.    I see New England has a real storm brewing this week.   The birds will be swarming for sure now.

I was going to post on the board here how I got around the loop that kept just reloading the page and would not give us access to this forum.  But then I thought about it.  If someone could read my solution they were already on the board.   And If they could not get to the board they could not read my solution.  So, what was the point of posting that?

I think I have an opportunity to spend a night 40 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico on a 36 ft boat this Winter.  There would be a group of 5 guys plus the captain.   We would fish, eat, drink and have a good time.  But the best part would be watching the night sky that far out.   We would be far away from the city lights and the normal pollution is not nearly as bad down here as it is up North.  Winter down here is the calmest weather and best time to go.  I just may do it.

Onward and upward....

Joe

Message 71 of 88
latest reply

I don't know but I know what I'm doing in December.  I'm not ready for another season of lost packages or packages that don't get delivered until February.  Orders having to be replaced or refunded because they were sitting in a post office truck somewhere.  NO THANKS! 

I know what I'm doing in December.

Message 72 of 88
latest reply

@downrightspecialkids wrote:

Whew, I had a lot of catching up to do again.

Bob, The pinned post hasn't worked for me in a long time.

Are you talking the scrabble letter holder little wooden things? If so, I have a bunch. 

I think FB buyers are worse. I get soooo many people who don't read the description, just like here, but also then get so many people who ask questions, ask about availability, say they are coming, and then, nothing.

Last Christmas DH bought me a new camera. One of my main requirements is it has to have a rechargeable battery, so I can use one and switch out to charge it and have another. He bought me one that needed like 4AA batteries, and it was big and heavy. He bought it here because seller had free returns. As soon as I saw it, I knew it wasn't for me. We sent it back. Seller charged an 80.00 fee saying we opened and used it. I didn't even open it. They clearly just wanted to get their free and return shipping back. Ebay refunded it to us, but it made me wonder how many offering free shipping do that. Oops, off on a tangent...

FBM is as much a flea market as eBay -- people wander by, ask all kinds of questions, monopolize your time, then just walk on and by from someone else for a couple bucks less without asking a single question.  I did the math once on my PC listings on FBM ... it takes like 30 "is this still available" contacts before you'll get one who actually, truly wants to know.  Then another 30 or so of those folks before you find the one who's actually going to show up.......but doesn't always make the purchase.  It's frustrating, at best.

On the camera - I've got one like that.  I like the SLR-style frame, moreso since my display screen on the back is on arms that let me tilt it so I can see the image properly when holding the camera down by my waist to get a better angle on the pic.  Or when I'm holding it up-n-out to get an overhead shot...just tilt the top of the display out and now it's facing the same way as the bottom of the camera - easy to see!!

---

Youngest finally did my oil change and some minor repairs on my 16.5yr old Expedition.  She's still got the tapping in the motor (we know what it is but just haven't gotten around to fixing it in 15+ yrs), but it's amazing what a fresh 7qts of oil does for your acceleration!  🙂  I might even be able to step back to mid-grade gas for a while....premium prices are killing me!

I'm up to SIX (6) sales for the month!!  This month I posted everything as GTC and they will all end a week or so before Christmas (SixBit lets me set an 'early termination date' on fixed price listings), so I'll have a week or so of vacation before starting up again after New Years.

At least that's what I tell myself... usually I start posting again the day after Christmas...AFTER we get the house cleaned up and the last load of dishes run thru the dishwasher.  🙂

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 73 of 88
latest reply

@bokhoma wrote:

I was going to post on the board here how I got around the loop that kept just reloading the page and would not give us access to this forum.  But then I thought about it.  If someone could read my solution they were already on the board.   And If they could not get to the board they could not read my solution.  So, what was the point of posting that?

I think I have an opportunity to spend a night 40 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico on a 36 ft boat this Winter.  There would be a group of 5 guys plus the captain.   We would fish, eat, drink and have a good time.  But the best part would be watching the night sky that far out.   We would be far away from the city lights and the normal pollution is not nearly as bad down here as it is up North.  Winter down here is the calmest weather and best time to go.  I just may do it.

Onward and upward....

Joe

Uh... we can find the discussion be entering "What Are Your Goals" into the Search box for the board... just type and wait and a list of discussion threads with matching titles will show up.  Select the one you want and away you go.  I'd be curious to hear how you got it to work again....

The boat trip sounds interesting, but I'm more of an ice fisher than an open water fisher.  When you can drive your car on the water, you're pretty much guaranteed that 'falling overboard' won't be an issue.  🙂  But at least you're heading west.... there's no 'Bermuda Triangle' west of Floriday.  🙂

Interesting factoid:  There is a 'Bermuda Triangle in Space' off the southeast coast of South America.  It's bad enough that satellites and pretty much anything going thru that section of space in Earth orbit have to take precautions or risk becoming disabled.  Scientists have determined that there is a dip in the protective shield that surrounds the planet - the space station files just below this shield - and because of the dip, more cosmic radiation exposure is possible when passing thru that section of orbit.  Thank You to "How The Universe Works"!!

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 74 of 88
latest reply

@movieman630 wrote:

I don't know but I know what I'm doing in December.  I'm not ready for another season of lost packages or packages that don't get delivered until February.  Orders having to be replaced or refunded because they were sitting in a post office truck somewhere.  NO THANKS! 

I know what I'm doing in December.

Apparently USPS's most popular Black Hole is in New Jersey.  We've lost multiple packages to that Distro Center over the last nearly two years.... packages go in, excuses come out.  And it's so random that there's really no way to know how to work around it.  And it's a major distro center for anything heading up the East Coast... 😞

We've switched Post Offices to get our metrics back on track, and have been moving more of our shipping from Priority Mail to FedEx ExpressSaver with contractual discounted rates.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 75 of 88
latest reply