cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Retail Arbitrage Credit Card Fraud

*This Is A Posting ID*

We are a large, multi-channel business that sells on eBay, Amazon and direct websites.  Our direct sites have seen a huge increase in credit card chargebacks in the last month and a half.  While investigating this situation, we have discovered a fraud ring operating on eBay that appears to be massive in its scope and sophistication.

This fraud ring lists items for sale on eBay, then when they make a sale, they place the order on one of our direct sites to ship to their buyer.  It’s pretty basic retail arbitrage, but they are using stolen credit cards to do it.  We have identified more than 800 orders, totaling over $40k in sales that we believe are part of this fraud.

So far, we have discovered 17 selling accounts engaging in this fraud.  All of them have been reported to eBay.  After two weeks of back and forth with eBay support via email, they have finally shut down 13 of the 17 accounts.  Of the 4 accounts that are still operating, one even has a neutral feedback that says ‘Sent with someone else’s CC # at double the price I paid. Said “No worry”’ . We brought that feedback to eBay’s attention in the report, but they still have not shut that account down yet.

We wanted to bring this to the attention of other sellers, both to see if anyone else has experienced this and to warn others to keep an eye out for this kind of suspicious activity. We don’t want to give out too many details publicly at this time, but a few things to look out for are:

Single item orders – On our direct sites we usually have some kind of free shipping or free gift over $X promotion running, so people typically buy multiple items to get to that minimum.  We do get single item orders that are legitimate, but 20-30+ orders for the same single item in a short amount of time is not typical for us and would be a possible red flag. 

Different bill to and ship to addresses – Again, we do get legitimate orders that have different bill to and ship to addresses, so different addresses doesn’t automatically mean they are fraud,  but we are seeing far more than usual in the last month or so.  The fraudsters seem to have the correct billing info because it does match the address and CVV checks.  Once they verify that a card will go through, they use that same card repeatedly, so look out for same billing name/address being used repeatedly with different ship to addresses.

I would guess the fraudsters probably target larger multichannel sellers like us because they know at the volume at which we operate, order processing and fulfillment is more likely to be automated and fraud is less likely to be noticed than a mom and pop where only 1 or 2 people manually handle all aspects of every single order.

If you suspect this fraud is happening to you, here are a few things we have found in common among the fraud sellers.

Low Price – They don’t care if the price on our site is higher than what they sell it for because they aren’t paying for it.  All they care about is getting a high volume in sales, so typically they will undercut the average price by at least a few dollars, sometimes as much as half the regular retail price.

Title & Description – Titles, descriptions and just general style of the listings across all of these sellers have a lot in common.

Handling Time – So far they have all had extended handling times. 

Returns – So far they have all had “seller does not accept returns” 

Items currently for sale and past items sold – they typically have less than 10 active listings at any one time that they cycle through.  Their feedback history shows a pattern of listing products in one category for a while and then, presumably when someone catches on and starts canceling their orders, they shift to a different category. They are not focused on just one category or type of product, they are just looking for hot sellers, so every category is a possible target.  We are definitely not their only victim.

Sold History– if the suspected fraud listing for that item has sales within 24 hours of you receiving orders for that item, it’s possible they are using you to fulfill those sales. 

Unfortunately, feedback isn’t very helpful in IDing them.  Most of them are 98% or above with very few negatives.  Either they get negatives removed, or just as likely is that the eBay buyer simply has no reason to complain.  They order an item at a great price and most of the time that correct item shows up on their doorstep in a few days.  They may not even look at the company name on the invoice or even if they do, they may not care or realize what is going on.  They got what they ordered and are none the wiser as far as the fraud aspect of this is concerned. 

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

Don't you wonder though, if the OP can detect the frauds, why can't ebay? 

Message 31 of 104
latest reply

2 more found and reported this morning.  That brings the total of confirmed accounts to 22.  The one I wasn't sure of, I'm still not 100% sure of, so I"m not counting that one just yet.

Message 32 of 104
latest reply

@picknparley wrote:

Don't you wonder though, if the OP can detect the frauds, why can't ebay? 

three letters - F V F

Message 33 of 104
latest reply

eBay can do a lot of things it chooses not to do...  

Message 34 of 104
latest reply

I understand you can't post seller ID's but can you post an example of one of these fraudulent listings so we can see what they look like and how they compare to other non-fraudulent listings?

Message 35 of 104
latest reply

But aren't there laws that say once a market place knows of illegal action that it must take action?

Or at least you'd think they'd want to take action.....

Message 36 of 104
latest reply

@datemike1 wrote:

I understand you can't post seller ID's but can you post an example of one of these fraudulent listings so we can see what they look like and how they compare to other non-fraudulent listings?

@datemike1  -   I can't post anything that would identify the items.  We are one of the largest sellers in our category and some of the items are even proprietary brands that we own, so it would be easy to identify us from the items.

I'll try to provide some generic info for you, but that being said one of the things the fraudsters are doing very well is looking generic.  They use stock photos (sometimes with another company's watermark), their descriptions are typically just boiler plate plain text copied from one of the retail sites they are using to drop ship.  Items are new condition consumer goods - not antique, collectible, or one of a kind.

The things that stand out most are what I mentioned in my initial post.

The style/wording in a lot of the titles is similar - They are getting smarter about this and changing it up, but look  for filler/attention grabbing keywords (ie. HOT SALE, NEW, FREE SHIPPING)

Extended Handling Time - Most of them have extended handling time.

Returns - Most of them have seller does not accept returns.

Price - Usually much lower than average retail price for the item.

Look at Items For Sale/Feedback - They typically only have a handful of items active at any one time that they cycle through.  When you look at their feedback history, you'll see groups of sales all for the same few items  and then over time they move to other items.

Sorry I can't give anything more specific than this.  They are sophisticated, so they vary and change things up just a bit to try to avoid detection, but there is a very clear pattern we are seeing at play here.

Fraud2.jpgfraud3.jpgfraud4.jpg

Message 37 of 104
latest reply

Message 38 of 104
latest reply

@valueaddedresource thank you for that reply!  I understand your limitations on what info you can post.

I have been battling something similar lately with one of my copyrighted products being continually stolen and recreated without consent.  And they too always have these extended handling times and extended delivery times.  In my situation it seems they are based in Vietnam and using US based print on demand companies to print and deliver, though i've been catching most of them quickly and getting DMCA Takedown's served once I find them.  

It's incredibly frustrating that so many people are willing to screw with your hard earned work and business to steal some money.  But I appreciate your updates and hope you can get this squashed soon enough.  I'm sorry you have to deal with this rather than figuring out ways to expand your business, you're bogged down with combating fraud.  

Message 39 of 104
latest reply

@picknparley wrote:

But aren't there laws that say once a market place knows of illegal action that it must take action?

Or at least you'd think they'd want to take action.....

@picknparley  - I was initially hopeful that eBay was responsive to taking action when they unregistered 13 of the reported accounts in one day.  Unfortunately, they haven't taken any other action since, including still not taking action on the one with neutral feedback that says exactly what they are doing.  I understand that they need to investigate and that can take time, but that one was reported to them two weeks ago and it is pretty clear what they are doing.

When I report them now, I just get a standard "thank you for bringing this to our attention" response.

Message 40 of 104
latest reply

@picknparley wrote:

Have you filed anything with the FTC? 

https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc

Yes, I filled out a complaint at that link yesterday and also sent a complaint in to our state attorney general's office.  We'll see if we get a response from either one.

Message 41 of 104
latest reply

@datemike1 wrote:

@valueaddedresource thank you for that reply!  I understand your limitations on what info you can post.

I have been battling something similar lately with one of my copyrighted products being continually stolen and recreated without consent.  And they too always have these extended handling times and extended delivery times.  In my situation it seems they are based in Vietnam and using US based print on demand companies to print and deliver, though i've been catching most of them quickly and getting DMCA Takedown's served once I find them.  

It's incredibly frustrating that so many people are willing to screw with your hard earned work and business to steal some money.  But I appreciate your updates and hope you can get this squashed soon enough.  I'm sorry you have to deal with this rather than figuring out ways to expand your business, you're bogged down with combating fraud.  

@datemike1  - sorry you are going through a similar situation.  We attempted to go the VERO route on the few products that are our brands, but by the time we got all the documentation filed with VERO, they had ended those listings and moved on to something else.

Unfortunately most of the items are other brands/manufacturers that we are authorized distributors for, so we are not the rights holder and we are also not the only people selling those products.  I highly suspect some of our competitors are getting hit with this too, especially now that we are catching and canceling the orders. They are probably just finding another website to get it from instead when that happens.

Message 42 of 104
latest reply

acc756, thank you so much for all your time and expertise in flushing out the crooks.  You are a blessing for every honest online buyer and seller. 

This is still disturbing as ebay chooses to do nothing.  

Message 43 of 104
latest reply

acc756, there's a new post from a seller with malware issues for one seller. Can you look at that one?

Message 44 of 104
latest reply

Fun fact about how eBay's algorithms work - since I've spent so much time clicking on the fraudsters listings, I now get emails every time they relist or drop the price.  I even got sent an offer on one of them. 😮

Maybe I'll buy it and have it shipped to my house, could be an interesting piece of evidence to have. 🤔

Message 45 of 104
latest reply