cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Retail Arbitrage Credit Card Fraud

*This Is A Posting ID*

We are a large, multi-channel business that sells on eBay, Amazon and direct websites.  Our direct sites have seen a huge increase in credit card chargebacks in the last month and a half.  While investigating this situation, we have discovered a fraud ring operating on eBay that appears to be massive in its scope and sophistication.

This fraud ring lists items for sale on eBay, then when they make a sale, they place the order on one of our direct sites to ship to their buyer.  It’s pretty basic retail arbitrage, but they are using stolen credit cards to do it.  We have identified more than 800 orders, totaling over $40k in sales that we believe are part of this fraud.

So far, we have discovered 17 selling accounts engaging in this fraud.  All of them have been reported to eBay.  After two weeks of back and forth with eBay support via email, they have finally shut down 13 of the 17 accounts.  Of the 4 accounts that are still operating, one even has a neutral feedback that says ‘Sent with someone else’s CC # at double the price I paid. Said “No worry”’ . We brought that feedback to eBay’s attention in the report, but they still have not shut that account down yet.

We wanted to bring this to the attention of other sellers, both to see if anyone else has experienced this and to warn others to keep an eye out for this kind of suspicious activity. We don’t want to give out too many details publicly at this time, but a few things to look out for are:

Single item orders – On our direct sites we usually have some kind of free shipping or free gift over $X promotion running, so people typically buy multiple items to get to that minimum.  We do get single item orders that are legitimate, but 20-30+ orders for the same single item in a short amount of time is not typical for us and would be a possible red flag. 

Different bill to and ship to addresses – Again, we do get legitimate orders that have different bill to and ship to addresses, so different addresses doesn’t automatically mean they are fraud,  but we are seeing far more than usual in the last month or so.  The fraudsters seem to have the correct billing info because it does match the address and CVV checks.  Once they verify that a card will go through, they use that same card repeatedly, so look out for same billing name/address being used repeatedly with different ship to addresses.

I would guess the fraudsters probably target larger multichannel sellers like us because they know at the volume at which we operate, order processing and fulfillment is more likely to be automated and fraud is less likely to be noticed than a mom and pop where only 1 or 2 people manually handle all aspects of every single order.

If you suspect this fraud is happening to you, here are a few things we have found in common among the fraud sellers.

Low Price – They don’t care if the price on our site is higher than what they sell it for because they aren’t paying for it.  All they care about is getting a high volume in sales, so typically they will undercut the average price by at least a few dollars, sometimes as much as half the regular retail price.

Title & Description – Titles, descriptions and just general style of the listings across all of these sellers have a lot in common.

Handling Time – So far they have all had extended handling times. 

Returns – So far they have all had “seller does not accept returns” 

Items currently for sale and past items sold – they typically have less than 10 active listings at any one time that they cycle through.  Their feedback history shows a pattern of listing products in one category for a while and then, presumably when someone catches on and starts canceling their orders, they shift to a different category. They are not focused on just one category or type of product, they are just looking for hot sellers, so every category is a possible target.  We are definitely not their only victim.

Sold History– if the suspected fraud listing for that item has sales within 24 hours of you receiving orders for that item, it’s possible they are using you to fulfill those sales. 

Unfortunately, feedback isn’t very helpful in IDing them.  Most of them are 98% or above with very few negatives.  Either they get negatives removed, or just as likely is that the eBay buyer simply has no reason to complain.  They order an item at a great price and most of the time that correct item shows up on their doorstep in a few days.  They may not even look at the company name on the invoice or even if they do, they may not care or realize what is going on.  They got what they ordered and are none the wiser as far as the fraud aspect of this is concerned. 

Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

Here is another similar thread on a triangulation scam from a slightly different perspective:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Payments/Fraud-Stolen-Credit-Card/td-p/25306634

Message 91 of 104
latest reply

I am guessing this was one of the shut down accounts because the only listing I see that matches that exact is from a seller with near 1m feedback... I am curious about something, if you are in fact the employee of such a large scale operation (and I don't mean the fraudsters, I mean the B&M), haven't you brought this up to your own chain of command?

I don't know who your boss is, a manager, perhaps a supervisor in your store, whoever is above you in that regard, bring it up to them... Because if I'm an employee and I see or suspect serious wrong doing, it is probably not my job to enforce the law, in fact once I take it up the chain of command my job is done...

You are after all getting paid to do a job, and you will get paid whether your employer is losing money or not, so take it up with your immediate superior and maybe one level above that and then your hands are clean of this issue.

My thoughts on the matter.

Message 92 of 104
latest reply

Thanks @portkoop-0  , I hadn't seen that one but am not surprised by what they experienced.

Message 93 of 104
latest reply

@portkoop-0 wrote:

I am guessing this was one of the shut down accounts because the only listing I see that matches that exact is from a seller with near 1m feedback... I am curious about something, if you are in fact the employee of such a large scale operation (and I don't mean the fraudsters, I mean the B&M), haven't you brought this up to your own chain of command?

I don't know who your boss is, a manager, perhaps a supervisor in your store, whoever is above you in that regard, bring it up to them... Because if I'm an employee and I see or suspect serious wrong doing, it is probably not my job to enforce the law, in fact once I take it up the chain of command my job is done...

You are after all getting paid to do a job, and you will get paid whether your employer is losing money or not, so take it up with your immediate superior and maybe one level above that and then your hands are clean of this issue.

My thoughts on the matter.

@portkoop-0  - I appreciate the suggestions but yes, that has already been done.  We have put some things in place internally to identify fraudulent orders and it has helped slow it down, but not stopped it completely.

We have also filed reports with the FBI and State Attorney General's office that have led nowhere. 

Mostly I am continuing to update this thread to alert other sellers that this is happening and continues to happen.

As I've mentioned in a few posts, regardless of whether the fraudsters are successful in stealing the item from us or if they get it from one of our legitimate competitors or even from Amazon, this hurts every legitimate seller as there is no way anyone can compete against someone getting items for free through theft.

So even if we are successful in slowing down or stopping the fraud from hitting us specifically, I feel it is still very important to bring attention to this issue because ultimately it hurts the entire eBay marketplace if this is allowed to continue without eBay being held accountable for their side of it.

Message 94 of 104
latest reply

I certainly do appreciate it because if this fraud is as easy to perpetrate as it appears then it won't be long before it becomes widespread, there's just no other way, anytime the lure for easy money comes up there is usually no shortage of volunteers.

Message 95 of 104
latest reply

Waaay back in 2002 i bid on a computer on my buying Id and my husband bid on a tv and our winning bids were cancelled as the sellers account had been hijacked. 

This was a seller who usually sold baseball cards and mixed in with his cards were auctions for electronics. Earlier this year just b4 the pandemic i was refunded by ebay (cancelled transaction) for 2 PS4 controllers from another hacked account. 

About May time i noticed all the 80 or so negative feedbacks had been wiped and i also got a nice message from the genuine owner of the ebay ID who had been through the most awful time as his paypal account was decimated too....

Scams do happen !! 

To tell the OP to take a rest and call friends is rude!

Message 96 of 104
latest reply

Also of note - I've found my first suspected fraud account that is in Managed Payments.

I had hoped more accounts being pushed into MP would help mitigate this fraud but was concerned this could happen when I read a report earlier this month of a UK seller who said his account had been compromised and a fraudulent bank account had been added for Managed Payments. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/UK-Seller-Reports-Compromised-Account-Managed-Payments-Sent-t... 

Message 97 of 104
latest reply

This reminds of of when I read in the press about an individual or a ring being busted for having hijacked millions worth of revenue by fraudulent dealings on eBay, and it comes out that they've been doing this for some long span of time, like 3, 4 years, maybe up to 10 years (one was designer goods).  In retrospect all of the red flags were there but somehow eBay never picked up on it...how?! I have a feeling we're seeing this in action now.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 98 of 104
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

it comes out that they've been doing this for some long span of time, like 3, 4 years, maybe up to 10 years (one was designer goods).  In retrospect all of the red flags were there but somehow eBay never picked up on it...how?! 

@chapeau-noir - This article was from 2015 https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/11/how-carders-can-use-ebay-as-a-virtual-atm/  and this graphic referenced in that article actually came from an eBay education campaign/help page at that time.

triangulationfraud.png

Many of the accounts I originally reported back in March had history going back over a year that fits the fraud.

And just recently, an eBay employee admitted to me in a phone conversation that senior management has known about this kind fraud for years and he was not surprised at all by everything I told him about what we have experienced.

I originally gave eBay the benefit of the doubt, but it is quite clear to me now that at least with this type of triangulation fraud, eBay is absolutely aware of all those red flags and has been for years.  They are not ignorant or innocent in this matter, in my opinion.

Message 99 of 104
latest reply

I suspect as long as the last three stops on that triangle are fulfilled, eBay admin is like a lot of people - close their eyes, stick their fingers into their ears and sing 'la la la it's not happeninggggg...!'.  The fact that eBay (in this case) is being used for fraudulent transactions and the seller (who is paying service to use eBay) is being involved in this, doesn't seem to concern them until a third party enforcement agency gets involved. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 100 of 104
latest reply

Another zombie fraud account has come back from the dead.

It certainly makes you wonder if someone at eBay investigated and found enough to warrant unregistering the account, how could do they get reactivated and have their fraudulent listings restored as if nothing ever happened? 🤔

Message 101 of 104
latest reply

I recently found this thread because I experienced the same triangulation scheme with 3 auctions I purchased for Scentsy items. I used to sell with ebay way back in the day and had never heard of anything like this, especially with a company that I thought was legit and against preventing fraud. I haven't sold much of anything in quite a few years, but I find it disheartening just how much ebay is aware of this and how little they have done. Although it does sound like they have done a lot to protect themselves and inadvertently the fraudsters.  I did  go ahead and leave negative feedback for each of the buyers that I purchased from in hopes that others will read that and think twice before purchasing. 

I'm curious what has been going on in the last 3-4 months since you lasted posted and if the AG has made any progress. I wonder if this will eventually be the downfall of ebay since they don't appear to be doing much of anything to find a way to prevent this from happening in the first place. Or is this such a complex and huge issue that there is no way to really prevent it from not happening? What a sad, sad world we live in 😞

Message 102 of 104
latest reply

@friendoffishies  first let me say, I'm sorry to hear you ended up caught in this kind of situation.  Not only is it a terrible situation for the businesses being targeted and stolen from, it's also a terrible experience for the buyers who have no idea the seller they are purchasing from on eBay is not legitimate.

Thank you for posting here and I'd interested in hearing more details about your experience, if you'd like to share.  Please feel free to send me a private message. 😊

As far as what has been happening with my situation - unfortunately there is really no progress to report.

I understand the enormity and complexity of the issue, and realistically I know that just like any kind of fraud or malicious online behavior it is a constant game of "catch up" where bad actors are almost always going to adapt and stay ahead of the game.

That being said, even keeping realistic expectations in mind, there is much much more eBay could be doing, including but not limited to monitoring when dormant accounts become active again after a certain amount of time, watching for patterns of listing products that don't fit with previous account history and/or do fit with identified fraud patterns across the marketplace, programming bots to monitor feedback for certain keywords that could indicate a problem, and more.

Message 103 of 104
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 104 of 104
latest reply