cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW eBay is BROKEN no sales for the month of June for me

You can say what you want but all I know as a 20 year inmate here is that eBay isn't performing at all like it was 3-4 months ago.

Good luck to ALL the small sellers out there!
Message 1 of 101
latest reply
100 REPLIES 100

Re: WOW eBay is BROKEN no sales for the month of June for me

@laurabeardsley wrote:

Ebay treats the sellers who are their customers like dirt under their feet. I wonder how long this can last?

Maybe in times past eBay considered sellers to be customers.

But, these days, eBay considers buyers to be the customers, and eBay considers sellers to be suppliers and logistics.

Message 76 of 101
latest reply

But without sellers, then what?

Message 77 of 101
latest reply

@laurabeardsley wrote:

You can have all the sellers in the world...but if there are no buyers, nobody makes money. Not the sellers, not Ebay.

There are plenty of other venues to list on, and the problem for most of them is that there is no traffic and no buyers.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 78 of 101
latest reply

Most of our buyers are middle class or below... the folks that didn't get a tax cut, and, whose wages are not exceeding inflation since the 1980s... 

Shipping is not an entitlement, it's a convenience.
Convenience costs money.
Shipping ain't free.
All Customers have a need,
Some are more needy than others.
Message 79 of 101
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Its ebay's grouping everything together that's putting the nail in the coffin for Blu-Ray's and DVD's. ebay is intentionally trying to force sellers to drop their prices or lose 100% of their sales if they dont.

@gamersbaystore 

Ebay is not making you drop your prices. They are telling you no one wants to pay the prices you're are asking and others sellers are running circles around you and they are very happy. Check sold listings. Sorry if you either paid too much for resale, or are just asking for more than you should but it is not eBay's problem.

Now I've got to jump in. Ebay definitely is telling sellers to drop their prices for sales by a combination of emails, low performance items listed in seller hub ect. And yet - I get more for the item on other venues - go figure! As a matter of fact - I actually raised the price of an item $20 this past week and the item sold for $27.99. Ebay is pushing the low price mentality on sellers - whereas buyers will pay more for the item if they can find it.

By the way - I think I asked you before - what category is it you sell in that you don't seem to have any trouble with? We don't have to go into specifics - just the general category as I'm curious to know what category seems to have no problems with sales, scammers, returns ect.. 

Message 80 of 101
latest reply

@jbmgsurplus wrote:

Your comments are mostly the same...noone is buying here blah blah .  Thats not true.  Certain times of the year are always up and down.     Its just the nature of things

And the bigger sellers and small sellers know that but the drops that have been occurring are not because of summer slump ect - this occurred months ago for many of us.

Again - some categories are not as affected as others - computer / tech sales - which I see you do - is pretty much always thriving as are cell phones - so it's sometimes hard for those in those categories to see what others are talking about as they themselves aren't experiencing it.

Heck - I was a huge Ebay cheerleader for years. Trying to offer help to those with slow or no sales. Calling out sellers who didn't want to accept the blame when their lack of sales was due to their own doing but I've seen firsthand how many of these changes, technical glitches ect are affecting - not only myself but others too. I'm holding my own  because I sell on multiple sites that are booming. I can get higher prices elsewhere. At this time I haven't put the work into the other sites that I've put into Ebay - but I'm working hard at it as sales there are picking up. I will probably always sell here but it won't be my main site.  

Message 81 of 101
latest reply

"Why does no one want to buy my junk?? eBay is broken!!!1!1!"

Two pieces of advice for successful selling: 1.) Introspection. Consider the possibility that *you're* doing something wrong, not that everybody else around you is at fault. 2.) Diversification. If no one is interested in the **bleep** you're selling, then get different **bleep** to sell. Markets aren't static - fads eventually die and people move on to newer and shinier things.
Message 82 of 101
latest reply

@lonewanderer1553 wrote:
"Why does no one want to buy my junk?? eBay is broken!!!1!1!"

Two pieces of advice for successful selling: 1.) Introspection. Consider the possibility that *you're* doing something wrong, not that everybody else around you is at fault. 2.) Diversification. If no one is interested in the **bleep** you're selling, then get different **bleep** to sell. Markets aren't static - fads eventually die and people move on to newer and shinier things.

I think it's pretty telling that I have yet to see anyone who is selling genuinely desirable items (say, for example, those Starbucks color-changing cold cups that they can't keep in stock in the actual Starbucks stores) complaining here about not getting sales.

Message 83 of 101
latest reply

You've somewhat answered your own question.

"I do use other venues and they are performing far better than eBay at this time. This just further illustrates why sellers SHOULD definitely spread their eggs out in multiple baskets because if eBay was my ONLY SELLING VENUE I would be in trouble right now."

20 years ago, Ebay was the ONLY venue.  Now there are probably 20 doing exactly the same thing.  Add Amazon, Target & Walmart with supper fast, often free shipping - the online shopping experience has changed a great deal (don't forget Facebook & Google). ADD consumers further muddy the pot as does greedy shareholders that aren't satisfied with a 10 point daily gain in the Nasdaq, they want 100 points.  There's also Goodwill and multi-vendor flea markets - a channel that 20 years ago was focused on the high-end antique market, now you can buy virtually anything at a great price and people seem to enjoy "the hunt".  HGTV, PBS, DIY channels encourage people to get out to these places. The entire dynamic has changed.

However I don't excuse Ebay entirely.  They really have made a mess of search, when I see seemingly random items coming up as a "best match", I wonder who the nit wit programmer is.  They've made their fees and listing structures far more complicated than necessary.  And they really do need to crack down on fraud, possibly the fastest way would be to allow sellers to see more information on the buyers metrics.

I'm doing just as you are, selling on different venues, experimenting with promotions.  When GTC was implemented I gave up pretty much entirely on selling low dollar items (used to sell a lot of used CD's), sales have to be worth my time and I'm not going to do it on volume.  I also have local space which is doing really well and frankly I enjoy interreacting with fellow sellers and customers in person.  And it's an excellent place to move things like CD's - I often pay my rent for the month just in those sales.

I won't give up on Ebay, for the money I can't think of another venue that offers more eyes on your item (with the exception of Amazon) and the "possibility" of a sale.  I'm just more apt to be more selective on what I list with the GTC factor.

Message 84 of 101
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

While I would agree he probably needs to diversify the products he sells, this platform isn't doing well, and anyone who says different is either in denial, or just doesn't care.

Yes, eBay isn't doing as well as it should, it is losing a lot of ground to competing marketplaces ... but it is still a great place to sell if one has desirable inventory at a good price. 

We have desirable inventory that when you combine our offerings with our prices, is more appealing than the competition. Our performance in the category proves it.

Yet in the last ~2 months, we've went from the average of 100 orders a day to being lucky to get 50-60. We're at 41 so far today and it's within 1 hour of closing time.

Suddenly, weekdays look like weekends. Anyone who knows how auto parts industries work is weekdays always SIGNIFICANTLY outperform weekends. It's common sense, most buyers are mechanics who work during the week.

If weekdays and weekends are performing the same, there's an obvious problem.

Our items are still most desirable in this category, since they have been for well over 5 years that we were #1 in this category. Yet this is the worst year since 2011, when we were first starting in this industry. 

Honestly, anyone saying this is normal, seasonal, because of competition, and so on, is not facing reality.

Reality is, only a handful of people in the category can even compete with the top 10 sellers. With our manufacturing, networks, and supply, we have more availability and prices that dropshippers can't compete with.

To put it in to perspective, we haven't had minor losses due to eBay's issues. We've lost MILLIONS. 

No offense, but we're more familiar with eBay, how eBay works, and how to compete here than almost everyone on this forum. We've proven it by our performance. We're also more familiar with exactly how eBay is designed, how eBay works, what works on eBay, and what doesn't. And we have years worth of statistics & marketing data to back it up.

There's a severe problem right now. It's been downhill since Jan 2018. The trend took a tremendous downhill slope around 2 months ago. 

EBay's GMV is plummeting. Top sellers are plummeting. Top seller market share is plummeting. Individual categories are dropping.

Aside from company profit margin, there's no positive statistics to even look at right now.

In response to what I quoted, it's really not a great place to sell desirable inventory at a good price. It doesn't matter if you give the best offerings at the best price. The search is directly limiting people and spreading the wealth to those with low metrics. This is a fact

Anyone who really cares about eBay here, and wants eBay's sellers or the marketplace itself to succeed, needs to stop downplaying the issues and actually get them addressed before it's too late (if it's not already). 

Thank you for this thoughtful reply. I do see the writing on the wall and you have verified it. My little collectibles market is gone. eBay does not display my items in search. I have been trying other sites. I do much better selling on other apps/ sites.  I think the collectibles market on eBay has run its course. My solution is to dump my collectibles at flee markets this summer. List my high end vintage and antique items on another site.  I do not think it matters any more if it is because my items do not show up on search in eBay or if this collectible market is dead. I am not selling like I used to unless I have low price auctions. Time to move on. It was fun for the last 13 years. 

Message 85 of 101
latest reply

T

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

While I would agree he probably needs to diversify the products he sells, this platform isn't doing well, and anyone who says different is either in denial, or just doesn't care.

Yes, eBay isn't doing as well as it should, it is losing a lot of ground to competing marketplaces ... but it is still a great place to sell if one has desirable inventory at a good price. 

We have desirable inventory that when you combine our offerings with our prices, is more appealing than the competition. Our performance in the category proves it.

Yet in the last ~2 months, we've went from the average of 100 orders a day to being lucky to get 50-60. We're at 41 so far today and it's within 1 hour of closing time.

Suddenly, weekdays look like weekends. Anyone who knows how auto parts industries work is weekdays always SIGNIFICANTLY outperform weekends. It's common sense, most buyers are mechanics who work during the week.

If weekdays and weekends are performing the same, there's an obvious problem.

Our items are still most desirable in this category, since they have been for well over 5 years that we were #1 in this category. Yet this is the worst year since 2011, when we were first starting in this industry. 

Honestly, anyone saying this is normal, seasonal, because of competition, and so on, is not facing reality.

Reality is, only a handful of people in the category can even compete with the top 10 sellers. With our manufacturing, networks, and supply, we have more availability and prices that dropshippers can't compete with.

To put it in to perspective, we haven't had minor losses due to eBay's issues. We've lost MILLIONS. 

No offense, but we're more familiar with eBay, how eBay works, and how to compete here than almost everyone on this forum. We've proven it by our performance. We're also more familiar with exactly how eBay is designed, how eBay works, what works on eBay, and what doesn't. And we have years worth of statistics & marketing data to back it up.

There's a severe problem right now. It's been downhill since Jan 2018. The trend took a tremendous downhill slope around 2 months ago. 

EBay's GMV is plummeting. Top sellers are plummeting. Top seller market share is plummeting. Individual categories are dropping.

Aside from company profit margin, there's no positive statistics to even look at right now.

In response to what I quoted, it's really not a great place to sell desirable inventory at a good price. It doesn't matter if you give the best offerings at the best price. The search is directly limiting people and spreading the wealth to those with low metrics. This is a fact

Anyone who really cares about eBay here, and wants eBay's sellers or the marketplace itself to succeed, needs to stop downplaying the issues and actually get them addressed before it's too late (if it's not already). 

Thank you for this thoughtful reply. I do see the writing on the wall and you have verified it. My little collectibles market is gone. eBay does not display my items in search. I have been trying other sites. I do much better selling on other apps/ sites.  I think the collectibles market on eBay has run its course. My solution is to dump my collectibles at flee markets this summer. List my high end vintage and antique items on another site.  I do not think it matters any more if it is because my items do not show up on search in eBay or if this collectible market is dead. I am not selling like I used to unless I have low price auctions. Time to move on. It was fun for the last 13 years. 

Message 86 of 101
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

At this time I haven't put the work into the other sites that I've put into Ebay - but I'm working hard at it as sales there are picking up. I will probably always sell here but it won't be my main site.  

This is what I am finally realizing too. I have put most of my work into eBay. I no longer feel supported by this site. More like an employee than a customer. Definitely not a valued customer. My history here is too long to completely leave but definitely not staying here for my retirement supplemental income.  

Message 87 of 101
latest reply

@laurabeardsley wrote:

@laurabeardsley 

IMO Ebay will never run out of sellers. Too many stay at home moms, unemployed, retired, and disabled folks looking to make $$. For every one that leaves another one comes. There is no where else on the net that has as much potential other than the big river and that is only for people selling new store items.

Message 88 of 101
latest reply

@flo_mingo wrote:

Thank you for this thoughtful reply. I do see the writing on the wall and you have verified it. My little collectibles market is gone. eBay does not display my items in search.

@flo_mingo 

It's easy to think since you have a hard time getting items sold to believe what some will tell you here that it is eBay's fault. I checked five random items of yours and found every single one. They where all on the first page. Nothing hidden. Go back and check demand and price looking at sold items similar to yours. That is where you can find the answer.

Message 89 of 101
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@laurabeardsley wrote:

@laurabeardsley 

IMO Ebay will never run out of sellers. Too many stay at home moms, unemployed, retired, and disabled folks looking to make $$. For every one that leaves another one comes. There is no where else on the net that has as much potential other than the big river and that is only for people selling new store items.

It seems AMZ has "forgotten their roots" as well.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 90 of 101
latest reply