cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY DOES EBAY NEVER HAVE SELLERS BACKS!??

I sold a coin and to protect the coin I took it off the glued piece of paper and put coin in a box. I messaged buyer stating I did this as soon as I shipped. No Response. A WEEK after delivery buyer first complains he paid too much and that item wasnt as described. I let ebay know and they kept saying "were on your side, you did nothing wrong etc etc". Today they said "oh just return the item.....". Where is this we got your back rhetoric now?? Why cant buyer just relist item if they're so unhappy? And if guy had a legit reason, I'd agree to the return. I paid $50 extra to insure the package at no charge to the buyer. Thinking I was being a good person.... No one has a gun to these buyers heads when they bid...  ALSO listing has NO Return Policy..... The fees and none seller support have become a joke here. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

No returns doesn't mean no refunds.

Sounds like you need to read the seller guide more carefully.  I have actually gone to putting any listings that I don't want to return as No Returns requested, but within my returns policy I do explain about items not being as described can be returned for a refund.  But I may ask for the item to be returned.   I don't tend to negotiate for a "discount" refund.

Make them return it, refund it and move on. If you allow eBay to step in, they will make it worse for you.  In that they will force the refund and the buyer gets to keep the item.

Money Back Guarantee trumps whatever you think the return option is.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Is this the 8 reale?   If so I can understand your frustration.

There is no such thing a final sale on Ebay. Its why we can't really use it as a business platform.   

I hear you on the $50 insurance.  You did do the right thing.   Other sellers will tell you to just write it off on your taxes but its not always that simple. 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

1. In general, returns for item not as described will be ruled in favor of the buyer.  Sellers can appeal and supply "evidence", but in general eBay does not consider any evidence as credible. I have heard of cases that might be won if you include police reports.  Item not as described case overrides No Return Policy.

2. Insurance is for you. With or without insurance, eBay will make sure you pay the buyer for item not received or item damaged in transit.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Where is this we got your back rhetoric now?

Where does eBay ever say "We have your back" when a buyer files a "not as described" dispute? Here is what the eBay policy page says are your options are for responding to a "not as described" dispute: 

Here are your response options:

• Accept the return
  • Give a full refund
  • Offer a partial refund
  • Send the buyer a message
  • Offer a replacement or exchange

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

Those are the only options. Nowhere does it say "deny the return and we will have your back". In fact, it says just the opposite:

"If you don't respond to the return request, we may refund the buyer and seek reimbursement from you, without requiring the buyer to send the item back."

"If you respond to the request but don't come to an agreement with the buyer after 3 business days, you or the buyer can ask us to step in and help. If we step in to help, we'll ask the buyer to return the item to you."

Again, I don't see any "we'll have your back" here. It basically says that either you accept the return, or eBay will accept the return for you.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

You check off buyer pays return shipping.  They also have to pay the same insurance you sent it with.

This is buyers remorse, there is lots you can do with that against them.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

You did not pay $50 for insurance. The coins were not that valuable, and they have $100 of insurance when shipped with Priority or ground advantage.

second, there is a MBG you as a seller are bound to. If you don't understand it, then you should not be selling until you do. You either accept the return and refund in full upon return or the buyer will get a refund AND keep the items. 

Your attitude that the unhappy buyer should just sell the coins is ridiculous. 

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

"I let ebay know and they kept saying "were on your side, you did nothing wrong etc etc". Today they said "oh just return the item.....". Where is this we got your back rhetoric now??"

The CS phone reps always say that. Why are you involving eBay in the first place?

Sellers have to handle returns without eBay involvement. Getting eBay into the mix is NOT a good thing.

Here are your options when a return is opened with a INAD reason. Plain and simple.

If the buyer opens a Item Is Not As Described type return case, you have choices.

1. You can refund the buyer now and let the buyer keep the item. eBay refunds the final value fees on the sale to you, the seller.

2. If you want the item back before refunding, accept the return and make sure a prepaid return label is available in the return case. The buyer returns the item and then you refund in full. eBay refunds the final value fees on the sale to you, the seller.

Seller protection:
Top Rated Sellers who accept 30 day returns and sellers who offer free 30 day returns can do partial refunds, up to 50%, if the item is returned in a condition different than when you shipped it.

3. Do nothing, contest the case or allow eBay to handle the case, eBay will close the return, refund the buyer and allow the buyer to keep the item. You also receive a serious defect on your seller account for having eBay step in and refund, thus doing your job as a seller. And, eBay keeps the final value fees for the transaction.

Here is an eBay link with just about all you need to know.
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

Posting ID
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Just follow procedures to get your coin back. Accept the return and refund. You will easily sell that coin again...maybe for more....

oh...if you paid $50.00 to INSURE that, you way overpaid...USPS insurance on 900.00 would be less than $20.00

and why would you say the fees are a joke...independent auction houses cost much more

sample sold for $60.00

!ebay-auction-comparisons-1.jpg

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Why would you alter the item after it was sold?

Have a great day
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

Why would you alter the item after it was sold?

That is my question as well.  Any time you sell something, don't change anything about the item after the sale.  That is just begging for not as described claim.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@maksi_3765 wrote:

I sold a coin and to protect the coin I took it off the glued piece of paper and put coin in a box. I messaged buyer stating I did this as soon as I shipped. No Response. A WEEK after delivery buyer first complains he paid too much and that item wasnt as described. 

The buyer is correct, when you took the coin off the glued piece of paper it was no longer as described.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

@maksi_3765 

Sorry for your situation.  However, your no returns policy won't hold water.  No returns does not mean no refunds.  All buyers have a 30 day money back guarantee.  Sorry.  Hang in there.

Happy Selling

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

If that is the 8 real then you have another issue beyond having removed it from the paper (yes, that makes it not as described and you should have them return for a refund.) The weight on the cert is wrong for an 8 real. It is probably a fake cert and a fake coin. When you get it back make sure you get it vetted. I would not have bought it since I've seen these fakes before, but if I did, I would have filed a SNAD complaint.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@sugarnspice777

If the buyer returns the item via Ground advantage, insurance is automatically added, so no insurance is needed to purchase for the return. As far as buyers remorse or what ever, a buyer has a 30 day money back guarantee for what ever reason, so there's really not much you can do concerning or against the claim or the buyer.  

Message 15 of 22
latest reply