cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage concert shirt getting a lot of attention from Thailand...should I be worried?

Hi guys, 

I've been around eBay for a number of years, buying/selling things here and there--but I've recently entered uncharted waters (at least from my perspective). 

Last week I listed a rare concert shirt and it's been getting a lot of attention.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sonic-Youth-T-shirt-XL-Hysteric-Astronauts-Yellow-1992-Nirvana/2337...

But given how quickly the price has shot up and the number of bidders and messages I've gotten from buyers in Thailand and overseas, I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for a problem. 

Are there best practices I've overlooked? Is there anything I should be doing here to protect myself from getting ripped off? Should I be canceling this listing (it's a free listing and I've never canceled any transaction before)? 

I have to say, I've never had an issue with anything Ive sold over the years, but I also haven't sold anything overseas and I was naively caught off guard by the interest this shirt has generated. Appreciate any advice. 

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Vintage concert shirt getting a lot of attention from Thailand...should I be worried?

Uh, wow. That was not what I expected. Now I'm left with another question: the final price (assuming I get payment) exceeds the maximum sales price allowed for the Global Shipping Program. Thoughts on how I should proceed? Should I go FedEx? But then I would lose out on the protection of the Program. Almost hoping I don't get payment and can offer a second chance offer to the second highest bidder who is here in the states. 

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

Re: Vintage concert shirt getting a lot of attention from Thailand...should I be worried?

OMG it ended at over $3K!! Wow!!  Congratulations! 🎉

For that price, spend the money and send it the most secure way you can.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 32 of 39
latest reply

The buyers from Thailand often ship to US addresses (3rd party shippers) who then forward it on.

Just make sure you get a signature (which is **bleep** right now with covid...USPS DOESNT get signatures

right now, it's all verbal and forged) and don't worry about it.

If they complain about anything after the initial delivery, tell them too bad and you WILL win any case

the might open since using any shipping company other than GSP is forbidden in eBays' eyes and y7ou

will win - trust me, been there and done that.

I actually like when buyers use 3rd party shippers.... 

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

I was clapping for OP!!! But the buyer has only 2 feedbacks..hmmm. I surely hope everything works out well and @southern*sweet*tea we must look for those shirts! Tomorrow!

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

I'm sure you already know, but as a precaution -

* No texting, no emailing, keep all communication in eBay (even if they ask differently)

* When payment email comes in, don't click on links in the email.  Open Paypal in a separate browser and verify you see a transaction record.  Paypal may put the funds on hold because of the size of payment, but you will ALWAYS see a record of the transaction.

* Make sure Paypal shows the item is OK to ship.

* Pack it well in case the package is left in a puddle and be sure to get a signature confirmation.

Wish I could answer your GSP question, but I've never used that program.  Hopefully someone who has will respond here.

Congratulations!  See what else you have hidden away!

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

As others have said, make sure you use a delivery method that can require a signature and full tracking. Fedex being the most obvious suggestion.  Other major couriers such as UPS and DHL Express will also offer similar services. Just make sure that the option you go for signature required. In some cases "direct signature" to avoid things getting signed for by neighbours, bouilding management, or helpers or whatever.

As I am outside US I have no experience with GSP or for that matter buying postage through eBay. I know that for domestic US shipments eBay offers great rates with Fedex - not sure if they do on the foreign ones.

I ship a lot of items international (both eBay-related and otherwise), and I never see any higher rate in issues with those deliveries than with domestic ones. Sure, at times customs procedures are a bit complicated or drawn out, but for eBay sales the customs side is all on the buyer so you do not need to worry.

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

Before you commit to a carrier, find out if there is a service fee for an international shipment and who pays for it? Is it part of the customs taxes and fees? There is not a special fee when shipping usps, but there often is for the other carriers.

@pgolds1984 You might try asking for  guidance from the Shipping and Returns forum, link below:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/bd-p/shipping-returns-db

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

Three years later and I'm in the same boat. How did it all end for you? I sold one to a Thailand buyer and shipped it to Oregon, I did insure it and maybe asig was required, can't remember now, but all was fine. Now I just sold one again and it makes me nervous! I get messages all the time too "Hey Bro, sell it to me for $60" hey let the auction play out! LOL

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 39 of 39
latest reply