cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants a refund larger then what ebay states they paid

mrsping29
Adventurer

I have a customer who bought internationally from me. They state that they paid 74$ for the item but in the sale detail it says they only paid 42$. This is the amount ebay will refund to them if i try to refund their money. This is the amount i received fr9m their sale also. They have requested a full refund on item not as described case. I have yet to refund their order as i know they will try to say its a partial refund when obviously its not.   What shall i do?Screenshot_20211014-152455_Chrome.jpg

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Since it's an international buyer, maybe they're expecting you to refund the VAT or any other import fees they may have paid.  

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Just refund what the case shows; the rest will come from ebay (could be Import fees, VAT etc.) 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@mrsping29 I had this happen to me recently. I simply refunded the transaction, which took the funds I had received initially. Buyer then asked me for more saying they didn't receive the full amount they paid, but I stated that on my side it now says transaction was fully refunded and any further issues to take them up with eBay directly. Buyer eventually went away. 

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Noted that buyer has opened Not as described case.

In my experience there are 3 possible outcomes.

If you don't want the item back then you go to the case and click on issue refund. Amount will be what buyer paid you, buyer keeps the item and case is closed.

If you want the item back then you ask buyer to find out postage cost to return the item and advise this to you and you can then send this amount through PayPal.

Once buyer advises the amount you can then choose between send this money to buyer and on receipt of returned item you issue refund or you go to the case and click on issue refund. Amount will be what buyer paid you, buyer keeps the item and case is closed.

Should you send buyer money for the return postage then make sure that on the return case you show PayPal transaction details of money sent and if you can not do this on the case then put all this information in a message to your buyer and then contact eBay's customer service/ returns/ dispute resolution team that you have sent the money and to refer to messages between you and buyer.

I would also report the buyer as I can see how it is possible that this has ended up item not as described case.

Would you be kind enough to educate me on how it is possible that this listing ended up with a SNAD case?

You can do this through email if you don't want to share that information publicly.

Hope all works out to your satisfaction.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Your using GSP they paid IMPORT TAX which is the difference between your refund and what they paid. You would not be refunding the import tax. Your going to have to get ebay to back you since its a GSP sale you should have protection. Tell the buyer your not responsible for any import tax they paid and they should talk to ebay about it. Then block their id.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

My computer broke and i lost all files on it. I then had to buy a new program for patterns and could not give her the exact pattern in the details as she bought it while my pc was down. I did my best to make it exact but she complained that it was not large enough ascshe had a purpose for the exact size of the item. Anyone whomcross stitch3s knows that you can change how large or small the finished product turns out by what count of fabric you use. So she should have not had that much of a problem getting it to fit her projected project. I told her my files were lost and even printed out and mailed her an extra pattern she did not pay for which is a 35$ value and she was upset that I sent it along with the one she paid for! Who complains about free stuff seriously. But all in all it was not exactly as described and i dont mind refunding the 42$ but not 74$ as she will be keeping the item as the ad stated no return!

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

mrsping29
Adventurer

Thanky you all so much for your wonderful solution i appreciate it!

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

If eBay will stand by their policy then you should not have to refund the buyer anything. Respond to the case and simply note the item was delivered, provide tracking evidence showing such, and that the shipment went through the eBay GSP which is nothing more than a glorified freight forwarder. According to eBay policy shipments through FF's are exempt from the MBG. 

If this turns out not to be the case please come back to the forum and let us know because there are a lot of sellers out there that believe this to be factual. 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

According to eBay policy shipments through FF's are exempt from the MBG. 

If this turns out not to be the case please come back to the forum and let us know because there are a lot of sellers out there that believe this to be factual. 

This shipment was made through the Global Shipping Program, not a freight forwarder; hence, the buyer is indeed covered by the MBG, as indicated by the chart below, from this page:

Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Interesting given the fact that the GSP is a contracted out eBay FF. So they only partially apply their policy related to FF's. Got a feeling that I may discontinue using the GSP since God only knows what happens to the package in international transit. I traveled enough during my career to learn nothing is safe going through baggage check or customs in a lot of foreign countries. Once again eBay favoring the buyer when ironically the GSP was setup to provide some semblance of seller protection for foreign sales. 

So in your infinite wisdom what is the buyer entitled to as far as a refund? Shipping from the foreign country back to the seller, to the GSP? Custom fees? Does the OP owe the seller a $42 refund or a $74 one? I am going to assume the OP does not want to pay for the return shipping or you could add that to the cost. 

If the buyer gets refunded, especially if it's $74,  this sets up the GSP as a scammers paradise for NAD cases. Get the item free and the seller covers the customs fees, nice. And the hits just keep on a coming. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Please post the final outcome of this on the boards. Depending on what eBay says, or forces, you to refund I may influence a number of sellers, mine for one, use of the GSP. If they force you to refund I am pulling the GSP off of every listing I have. 

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

WAIT!  Those details are important.

So you didn't send the buyer what they ordered, absolute grounds for NAD return.  Any added bonus you included is on you, because you KNEW you messed up.

On to the problem with the refund.  You refund through the portal, the buyer gets that money from you and might get the rest through ebay.  

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Thank you so much for coming back with details.

Your honesty is much appreciated and I understand that your buyer could have managed the situation especially as you have sent her a printed version as well,

May be she has difficulty with basic mathematics.

Other comments noted and you can simply go to the case and issue a refund which will be for the amount that you received and no more.

Worst your buyer can do is to leave negative feedback and i would recommend that you respond in the same calm and honest manner that you have demonstrated in your post.

Good luck 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

It is impossible to refund more than they paid anyway, if you get a negative appeal it with eBay and it will be removed as it will not be a factual FB

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 15 of 24
latest reply