cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Ads on ebay pages

Okay the regular print ads on our ebay selling pages are one thing....

BUT these new VIDEO ADS are super ANNOYING, and DISTRACTING!

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Video Ads on ebay pages

Here is another example I encountered.  The videos are not supported, but the background scripts are looping anyway. My CPU is running at 100%, the fan is whirring up a blast, and the page is barely responsive. I refreshed the page and those ads went away, my fan slowed down and now I can type into this box, where before I couldn't.

viewitem_advertiser_unsupportedvideo_error.jpg

These are the two script sources triggering error messages. The first is a YouTube embed warning, which usually doesn't error, so it is probably responding to the pinetreecreative script which generates a hard error on line 23 and is the script that keeps looping out of control.

https://s.ytimg.com/yts/jsbin/www-embed-player-vflyTEznW/www-embed-player.js

http://pinetreecreative.com/sas/player/repPlayer.php?dPath=playerSetup_player&cb=2806858672978191665&sPlatform=Turn&brandId=174&sCampaignID=1602955477&sGeo=United States&sSeller=5766351&creativeID=1602969124&userID=&sDomain=http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-christmas-stockings-sack-socks-gift-filler-bag-tree-hanging-decoration-&userID=&width=300&height=250

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 31 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

You seem to be a PC tech, so is that example on an open browser default setting with no additional  programs to block?

Message 32 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

@red_demon692000

I'm using the latest Firefox.

I never installed a Flash plugin for this browser.  In fact, I have no addons or plugins for this browser.

I have no adblockers installed on my computer.

I detached my speakers long ago.

My system is also missing the appropriate codecs because I never installed any media players that might have brought along their codecs (Quicktime, Windows media player, etc ).  A codec is hardware or software that decodes a digital data stream into the appropriate audio or video patterns required for playback, and there would be one for audio and one for video.  Newer computers often come with all of this preinstalled, or owners click to install those software components when they want to view or hear something. Some installed players can be disabled in the browser list of plugins or addons.

The lack of Flash, codecs, and speakers has always meant I usually don't see or hear videos (sweet serenity).

However, YouTube videos carry with them an on-demand downloader for a temporary Flash player, so I will usually see YouTube Flash videos even though I have no player installed. And if I actually want to hear a video, I plug in my USB headphones.  The YouTube videos default to click-to-play and are not auto-starting, so I don't mind them.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 33 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

Have been wondering if my imac 10.11.6 or Firefox 49.0.1 had a virus because I keep getting the same irritating video ad (a woman talking, don't keep it open long enough to know who or what) when I open some of my selling pages, to the right of the page. I use to keep several tabs/selling pages open for listing purposes, now I only keep 1 because all of a sudden this annoying video ad will pop up. Does anyone know if it is possible to stop them? Or if it IS an ebay thing or malware? thank u

Message 34 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

I have confirmed that these are auto-starting ads appearing in eBay assigned slots and have collected enough in this thread to report the issue to eBay. Third Party ads that appear on eBay should NOT be auto-starting, so the eBay Advertising team will look into it.

Message 35 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

THANK YOU ShipScript!

Message 36 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

@shipscript wrote:

Here is another example I encountered.  The videos are not supported, but the background scripts are looping anyway. My CPU is running at 100%, the fan is whirring up a blast, and the page is barely responsive. I refreshed the page and those ads went away, my fan slowed down and now I can type into this box, where before I couldn't.

That is what happens to me.

Message 37 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

Hi shipscrit
Thanks for reporting it
Hope they will do something about it, but it is ebay !!!
I am not seeing them but I like you have a fan running & hot laptop at times & wonder if it is this?

I really hope they fix this so more buyers don't RUN (not walk) away .

Message 38 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

@shipscript wrote:

I have confirmed that these are auto-starting ads appearing in eBay assigned slots and have collected enough in this thread to report the issue to eBay. Third Party ads that appear on eBay should NOT be auto-starting, so the eBay Advertising team will look into it.

THANK U!! I will call too if necessary, just let me know 😉

Message 39 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

When is enough, enough?

Did I agree to be subjected to this madness?  Is it in the User Agreement?  Talk about aggravation of the highest degree.  

I am in my late 70's, and an eBay member since 2003.  I pay the eBay and PayPal fees without so much as a peep ... the cost of doing business, right?  eBay suggests that I offer free shipping, and I comply.  eBay continuously pokes and prods me to open a store ... which I try for a one year period, an unmitigated disaster financially.

I must be part of the silent majority. 

Why must I now be proactive to prevent Video Ads from running at the bottom of my eBay pages?  Why is this even a consideration?  How far must eBay push?

Have a terrific evening.

David

Message 40 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

I have 3 of them on every page and i can not even search for anything the last few days ? I had to buy from Amazon . please fixed the problem 

Message 41 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

I walked away and all this jibberish was going on and I hoped it wasn't just in my head. Then I found it was ads on the page I was searching for something. Then trying to start where I left off just could not be done. I thought my scroll key was stuck because it kept scrolling down to the video. I just killed the page. 

Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 42 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

@shipscript wrote:

I'm using the latest Firefox.

I never installed a Flash plugin for this browser.  In fact, I have no addons or plugins for this browser.

I have no adblockers installed on my computer.

I detached my speakers long ago.

My system is also missing the appropriate codecs because I never installed any media players

The lack of Flash,

However, YouTube videos

I would never be on the web without multiple ad or content blockers.  I think I have 4 on this browser (SeaMonkey) and my alternate (Opera).  I also have AdBlockPlus on IE, though it isn't nearly as configurable.

I didn't install Flash after the latest system recovery after an HDD failed, but I find some sites don't work well (or at all) without it.

I use mine fior background music, so I need speakers and Windows Media Player.

I have the plague known as YouTube blocked in the modem/router for the high security risk that it is.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 43 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

I have to step in here and let you know, that these ads have no effect if you have windows 10 and a brand new computer. It effects only people, who dont have brand new computers, that means most people! Stop this or I dont wanna do any business with you!

Message 44 of 54
latest reply

Video Ads on ebay pages

For those of you who do not wish to support Adblock Plus, who now SELLS ads ... there's uBlock Origin, with a plugin for both Firefox and Chrome browsers.

An efficient blocker, easy on memory and CPU footprint, and yet can load and enforce thousands more filters than other popular blockers out there.

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 45 of 54
latest reply