cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usually what actions can you take if the buy wants a refund because of his own problems

I sold a second-hand AC (air conditoner) unit with onsite local-pickup.

Usually what actions can I take if the buy wants a refund because of his own problems?

He states he can not buy proper accessories now so he wants a return.

I offered to do the fixings but he refused. Usually people will not expect a full fixing service and the returns for a very low-price ($40) AC unit. 

This is the first time I met this condition.

Usually is it good to offer a courtesy return with full refund?

Or is it OK to give a partial refund, because I may need more time to test/repair the unit?

Please give suggestions. Thank you. 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Usually what actions can you take if the buy wants a refund because of his own problems

Refund in full and be done with it.

You can't "make" a buyer buy something or pay for something they no longer want.

Even if you could, why would you want to risk a return?

Chalk this off as the cost of doing business online.

Local pick up buyers will sometimes cancel.

Online buyers will sometimes cancel.

The best course of action is to cancel the sale and move on.

Good luck!

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Re: Usually what actions can you take if the buy wants a refund because of his own problems

@inhawaii 

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

I met several AC refunds this month.

Do you have some suggestions/tips on how we could act to prevent from these refunds? Can I set it as "do not accept returns"?

PS: Thanks again to our suggestions from this community board, I choose "pickup only", then I don't need to pay for the return shipping...

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I don't know if ebay has changed the local pick up payment policy. But if the option remains, I'd ask for cash at local pick up, no returns. The benefit of local pick up is that the buyer can inspect the item there and then. If they have an issue with it, cancel the sale at the meet up. For any electronic item, I'd show it working at the pick up. I've sold AC units locally in the past (not thru ebay) and always had the item plugged in and blowing cold. Buyer paid cash and left, end of story. 

Otherwise, I'd consider selling the AC units via a different local platform (there are many of them), where you won't have to worry about Big Brother. You state you've already refunded on several, so it looks like they're a problem item costing you money.

Another idea is to take a video of it running, you can even hold a thermometer to it showing the cooling temp level achieved. This will at least initially prove it runs, but as a buyer I'd also like to see it in person blowing cold. If your selling for parts or fixer up, that's another story and it will very often lead to trouble from buyers who don't read description or have higher expectations.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Some great advice.  I would just add that Ebay does not take videos as evidence of nothing.  So the video would be in the hopes it means something to you or your buyer.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031  said:  Ebay does not take videos as evidence of nothing.

What good would evidence of nothing be on non-eBay platforms?

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@zoda99 wrote:

@mam98031  said:  Ebay does not take videos as evidence of nothing.

What good would evidence of nothing be on non-eBay platforms?

What I said is true for the Ebay site.  I did not speak to any other site.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

I accept all returns as a codb and just apologize they aren't happy with their purchase.

If they buy from me again as a repeat customer and another issue arises then I'll add them to my bbl.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Even if you have a "do not accept returns" policy,

customers can still return by claiming "not as described".

Ebay will let them return for a refund.

If you try to fight it, ebay will refund the customer for you and let them keep the item.

People/buyers change their minds once in a while and request to cancel.

I don't know of or can't think of any way to prevent that.

It's just one of those things all sellers have to learn to live with.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@dqdistribution 

Thanks. You are a very nice seller. "bbl" is "be back later"?

How many "repeat customer" do you have?

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@mythyanlee wrote:

Do you have some suggestions/tips on how we could act to prevent from these refunds? Can I set it as "do not accept returns"?

There is only way to prevent refunds on ebay.

*Hint* It isn't setting up a "No Returns" policy.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

"Thanks. You are a very nice seller. "bbl" is "be back later"?

Blocked bidder list.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@inhawaii 

Thanks.

Luckily I still could try to do the onsite test before the sale.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@mam98031 

Thanks. Video could be a good method. 

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Thank you for the suggestions.

Usually what other local platforms are using? 

Message 15 of 23
latest reply