cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using high ticket items to bring more views and watchers

Every time I add high priced listings to my stuff out of the attic it seems to bring in more viewers and watchers, on my other listings, even if it’s not sold at that price.

My high ticket listings seemed to bring in enough viewers and watchers across all listings to sell almost everything else I was selling at that same time.

Does just one highly priced item attract traffic flow from the new algorithm?

Can higher priced listings be used as leverage for more traffic flow?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Using high ticket items to bring more views and watchers

@herbaearth 

Back in my antique booth days, this was a basic tactic: Be sure to have some "Conversation pieces" front and center----expensive or not, you want stuff that draws people into your booth....they might not buy the "draw" item, but they will likely look around, and might buy something else. Same principle at work. 

I don't think ebay's algo really cares about the "high price" as much as it cares about the attention the item draws...traffic builds on traffic, so to speak.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Not sure about attracting traffic flow, but if you are selling something collectable a person may search using Highest Price & Shipping.  This could pull your high price item near the top.  

If I see something interesting (high priced) I usually see what else someone has for sale.  So in this sense it could attract more sales.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I wonder if most users are going to the highest price for both buying stuff and researching sold items. That could be it.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@herbaearth wrote:

I wonder if most users are going to the highest price for both buying stuff and researching sold items. That could be it.

Yes I agree, it could be both.  

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The majority of higher priced items are probably unique, one-of-a-kind items that are not seen in multiple listings vs those that are found listed by quite a few sellers; therefore, they will attract shoppers who may be looking for one particular item or one related item, like T-shirts from a particular group's concerts.  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@herbaearth 

Back in my antique booth days, this was a basic tactic: Be sure to have some "Conversation pieces" front and center----expensive or not, you want stuff that draws people into your booth....they might not buy the "draw" item, but they will likely look around, and might buy something else. Same principle at work. 

I don't think ebay's algo really cares about the "high price" as much as it cares about the attention the item draws...traffic builds on traffic, so to speak.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

It has to be something unusual or hard to get or something new. Not necessarily expensive. I listed a new Merman Barbie several times and got around 30 watchers and around 90 views. Didn't sell for really a lot.

I sold six though on auctions. Doing an auction here and there for a penny or free shipping usually brings traffic to my site.  I'm always afraid of high end stuff to sell because you never know if the buyer is gonna be honest. I usually check buyers feedback if I sell something somewhat expensive...signature required...not electronic but written signature and so on.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

It's always good to have bait items. I sell alot of one type of car emblem and don't avoid listing one with scratches for half what the others sell for. It draws them in and they can buy it if they want, but they may also scroll down to see my other listings and decide to splurge on a higher cost one and the better condition will reinforce they are getting a good value since they just saw one with scratches 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Higher ticket items do not change the algorithms. The sell-through rate is the most important. The demand of the item and the price compared to other sellers selling the same thing is what draws in watchers. Also selling a vintage dump truck at auction starting the bidder higher than an average selling price will bring in watchers. They do it just to see if anyone would actually bid on it.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Listing a high-priced item does NOTHING for your other listings except....

If you use 'Promotions'; it will also show, on that listing, other 'promoted' items that you have listed or...

you have a store, and buyers click 'see store'. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

The more items you have listed that attract traffic to your listings will give you more of a chance to get views on your other items. Just like honey to a bear.....one jar of honey is sweet....lets take a look at the other jars that might also have some sweetness. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@herbaearth wrote:

Does just one highly priced item attract traffic flow from the new algorithm?

I do not think the price of one listing affects the Best Match algorithm for other listings. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You're on the right path. The vector you were following may lead you to us

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

There is a YT channel called Flying Wheels featuring a small car dealer in New Hampshire. He had a video on how he uses bait cars ethically. He'll have something like an Escalade with a very low price that draws people in and parks that same color Escalade next to two others that are similar, but nicer and more expensive. It is not a switch type thing because that low price one is there, available for purchase, but the buyer might be able to understand why the other two cost what they do and will go with those after comparing them all. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply