cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Feedback Enhancements now Visible

Over the past few months, we’ve been working to improve the feedback experience for buyers on eBay. We are making these changes in order to give potential buyers better insight into your products.

Starting last month, eBay sellers have been able to preview images on their sold multi-quantity items feedback. With the success of the program thus far, we are starting to make those images available to buyers as well. We will continue to test images on feedback into 2024.

Richer text and images in feedback can add credibility and drive sales by instilling additional confidence for interested buyers as they shop. To date, we've already collected almost a million images and the vast majority are associated with positive feedback and showcase the great products and positive experiences buyers have with our eBay sellers. Existing policies related to feedback and feedback removal will also apply to images.

These updates will help to add trust to reviews, increase buyer confidence and  drive conversion for your listings. 

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

The eBay Team

Message 1 of 94
latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Re: Update: Feedback Enhancements now Visible

May not be the only but it is part of it and  it could last for a year

Message 31 of 94
latest reply

@zobal99 wrote:

May not be the only but it is part of it and  it could last for a year

@zobal99 no, feedback is not part of it at all, period.

Read the links I posted. Feedback is not counted in any of the measurements that are used to determine if additional fees are assessed against your account.

Now, if you are receiving negative feedback it's entirely possible (and probably very likely) you are also receiving item not received claims and item not as described returns or you may be canceling too many orders due to items being out of stock or not shipping on time and/or not responding to cases that are opened.

All of those things can and will impact your Seller Standards and Service Metrics, but that is separate from whether or not you receive negative feedback for those transactions.

Again, to be perfectly clear, feedback is not one of the criteria used to measure those metrics and does not impact whether or not you are assessed additional fees for being "below standard" in Seller Performance or "very high" in Service Metrics.

Message 32 of 94
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@zobal99 wrote:

Sellers are not getting it. Neg. seller feedback gives eBay the reason to tack on extra percentages to your selling fees that they charge you.  So it benefits them to leave the neg. feedback and to leave it for 365 days. You can be paying them as high as 25% of your selling price. 

@zobal99 feedback is not part of the calculation for Seller Performance or Service Metrics ratings and negative feedback alone will not result in additional fees.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy/service-metrics-policy...

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/monitor-improve-seller-performance?id=4785 

@valueaddedresource 

Don't even fictional lates and the other detailed rates buyers leave affect ones TSR's? Too many under the wrong heading and suddenly your selling fees go up? At least that is what I have had reported back to me from other sellers. Always was a little baffling to me on how numbers were counted. Like 5 positive feedbacks left at same time count as a 1. But 5 negs or neutrals are scored as 5. 

-Lotz

Message 33 of 94
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@zobal99 wrote:

Sellers are not getting it. Neg. seller feedback gives eBay the reason to tack on extra percentages to your selling fees that they charge you.  So it benefits them to leave the neg. feedback and to leave it for 365 days. You can be paying them as high as 25% of your selling price. 

@zobal99 feedback is not part of the calculation for Seller Performance or Service Metrics ratings and negative feedback alone will not result in additional fees.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy/service-metrics-policy...

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/monitor-improve-seller-performance?id=4785 

@valueaddedresource 

Don't even fictional lates and the other detailed rates buyers leave affect ones TSR's? Too many under the wrong heading and suddenly your selling fees go up? At least that is what I have had reported back to me from other sellers. Always was a little baffling to me on how numbers were counted. Like 5 positive feedbacks left at same time count as a 1. But 5 negs or neutrals are scored as 5. 

-Lotz

@lotzofuniquegoodiesI'm not sure of an exact year, but it's my understanding DSRs (detailed seller ratings) have not been used to determine Seller Performance for quite some time.

A quick Google search brought up this post from what I'm assuming was a previous eBay rep here on the boards on the subject from 2018:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Seller-Tools/DSR-Reports-Gone/m-p/28178187/highlight/true#M24383

I just wanted to confirm that we made a change recently to our Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) Reports. This has been removed from the Performance dashboard as of February 20th - I apologize for the delay in confirming this update and am happy to provide some added context on this change.

We evaluate our tools on a regular basis to understand the value that they provide. When it is found that a feature is not of value to most of our Community, it will be retired. Since DSRs no longer factor into Seller Standards, we have seen a significant drop in the utilization of this report. If anyone would like to see their DSRs, visit your Feedback Profile page to see overall DSRs at an account level. 

For the purposes of this discussion, I'm assuming @zobal99 is referring to the additional percentage that may be tacked on if your account is either Below Standard in Seller Performance or Very High in Service Metrics.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822#section6 

Here's how eBay determines if you will be assessed those specific additional fees:

Seller Standards:

For the metrics that could put you "below standard" and subject you to additional fees, eBay looks at the number of orders that are canceled due to being out of stock and cases closed without seller resolution.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-standards-policy?id=4347#section2

Service Metrics:

For the metrics that could put you "below standard" and subject you to additional fees, eBay looks at the number of Item Not As Described return requests that are opened by buyers.

There may be other consequences for having too many late shipments or Item Not Received cases opened, such as having additional time added to your delivery estimates, payment holds and not being able to withhold a partial refund, but per the eBay policy pages, what I've stated above are the criteria for additional fees being charged for "below standard" Seller Performance or "very high" Service Metrics - and feedback definitely isn't on the list.

Message 34 of 94
latest reply

The updates that need to be made to feedback should be the situations that happen to sellers not always what happens to buyers. When a seller has done all that is possible and the buyer leaves the seller negative feedback that is not accurate then the negative feedback should be dismissed rather than have eBay tell you that "the buyer was relaying their feeling on the situation". The situation for the negative feedback should be based on what the emails between the seller and the buyer state that are exchanged on eBay. Buyers understand they can run over sellers because of the feedback policy that eBay has and we as sellers have no recourse. eBay will lose more and more sellers because of this.

Message 35 of 94
latest reply

Or, more likely, that they are sending roach clips in ESE shipping and getting dinged for it.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 36 of 94
latest reply

Wood2550- Yes you are 100% right. You can have hundreds of great feedback and all of a sudden you get one crazy or angry buyer or one liar about receiving their order and they'll give a neg. fdbck that is not warranted. No matter how you try to fix it with the buyer there is always gonna be that one person. And no matter what you say to eBay they will accept their neg fdbck over your explanation. 

Message 37 of 94
latest reply

That's not what we  are discussing here

Message 38 of 94
latest reply

@seller_news_team 

In 2008 eBay stopped letting Sellers leave less than Positive Feedback for Buyers.  That means the Feedback system is unfair and biased towards Buyers.   There are numerous Help Pages dedicated to Feedback Abuse, Misuse, Extortion, etc.  To me that is an indication that despite the best intentions of the eBay Feedback system it is not very good.  It is subjective in the extreme.

One trend I see with newer Buyers is they don't hesitate to slap down a Neg FB for a Seller without any effort in trying to work things out with their "Trading partner" (eBay's term for a Buyer and Seller on a transaction).

I also think NO Feedback should be allowed by EITHER Buyer or Seller on sold items at or below $ 20.00.  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 39 of 94
latest reply

If that's the case, while I understand it may be frustrating, it's not like that feedback wasn't already visible to buyers...they just previously had to dig a little more to see it.

Buyers are unlikely to view more than the first page or two of a seller's feedback.  Recent feedback is really all that matters anyway -- what happened 1-2-5-10-20yrs ago is likely no longer relevant in any way, shape, or form.  Bringing it back to the first page is definitely going to have a negative impact on that seller, by no fault of their own.  And this invalid bias may actually drive buyers away, possibly to another seller who still does have issues to work out... just not on their first feedback page.

IMHO, these are changes that could very easily have been slid into the Feb/Mar timeframe, away from the Christmas shopping and into a generally slow sales period.  Issues might still have been there (later installation doesn't always more more accurate code or install process, just a later impact on production systems), but the impact would be much less of an issue, and likely to get fixed faster as well.

I've said it before -- eBay needs to pay more attention to when they install changes, announced or unannounced.  And the fourth calendar quarter should be locked down, allowing only repairs to processes that are impacting seller's (and therefor eBay's) bottom line.  This is practially gospel at other multi-national corporations -- you don't mess with (cash) production systems during their highest impact period.  It's just not a bright thing to do.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 40 of 94
latest reply

@vintage_sterling_spoon_rings wrote:

"Feedback Enhancements" eh? Now that's funny.

A month ago I was able to:

1 - look at my orders and see immediately if a buyer had left feedback...

2 - click on 'leave feedback'...

3 - post feedback to buyer.

Now I need to:

1 - go to 'Feedback Received' and see who has left feedback...

2 - Remember buyers name...

3 -  Go to my orders...

4 - Scroll down to the order...

4 - Click box on buyers item...

5 - Scroll back up...

6 - Find 'Leave Feedback' tab...

7 - Click tab...

8 - Leave feedback. 

Question: How is this an improvement?

You need better tools.  I click once to bring up a list of orders where the customer has left positive feedback but I have not yet left my feedback.  Two more clicks to select all those orders, and then two more to post a specific feedback to those orders - saved feedback text I send to all who leave me positive feedback.  Two more clicks after that changes the status (within my application) to a completed/archive status I use to indicate the transaction is now complete:  listed, bought, paid, shipped, received, approved, and buyer appreciated.

And I've been doing it this way for years.  Similar economies-of-effort are available elsewhere - creating new inventory, posting new inventory, reposting unsold inventory, increasing or decreasing price, and even ending and relisting 'mature' listings.

Direct Message me if you want to know more.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 41 of 94
latest reply

@sapphire_studio wrote:

So apparently you could always dig up feedback that was over a year old on desktop but it was not visible in the mobile app. Now it's really easy to see in the mobile app. What makes this the most unfair is that in the mobile app you cannot see the replies that sellers have made to the negative feedback.

eBay's recommendation is to not leave responses to feedback, especially negative feedback, as it may just tick the buyer off more, to the point where they leave the last word and reply to your reply, which is the last response allowed on that transaction.  Yep - buyer gets the last word.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 42 of 94
latest reply

@zobal99 wrote:

Feedback generates a seller's rating.  Ratings are used by buyers to determine which of multiple sellers to consider buying from -- those with higher ratings (a larger percentage of positive feeback) tend to get more views, and view beget sales.

Negative feedback is very often connected to a Return, and Returns ARE used to increase the fees paid by a seller.  If your Return Percentage for a given category exceeds a preset level, an additional fee is tacked onto your FVF.  So in this way, feedback -does- impact FVF.  Might be minor, but 'minor' is still greater than 'does not'.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 43 of 94
latest reply

@wood2550 wrote:

The updates that need to be made to feedback should be the situations that happen to sellers not always what happens to buyers. When a seller has done all that is possible and the buyer leaves the seller negative feedback that is not accurate then the negative feedback should be dismissed rather than have eBay tell you that "the buyer was relaying their feeling on the situation". The situation for the negative feedback should be based on what the emails between the seller and the buyer state that are exchanged on eBay. Buyers understand they can run over sellers because of the feedback policy that eBay has and we as sellers have no recourse. eBay will lose more and more sellers because of this.

eBay has never been concerned about losing sellers... there are always more signing up every day.

The fallacy of this is that it's the experienced sellers who are leaving, to be replaced by newbies who haven't got a clue what they are getting into, and then start 'bad-mouthing' eBay when the newbie's own mistakes create problems for them.

I may be unique, but I prefer to purchase from a seller with experience over a seller who just signed up in the last 2-3 months.  If it's an inexpensive, easily replaced item, I may go with the newbie.  But when I'm buying anything for my vehicles, anything for my computers, anythings for my kids or grandkids.... experience wins out, hands down, every time.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 44 of 94
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@seller_news_team 

In 2008 eBay stopped letting Sellers leave less than Positive Feedback for Buyers.  That means the Feedback system is unfair and biased towards Buyers.   There are numerous Help Pages dedicated to Feedback Abuse, Misuse, Extortion, etc.  To me that is an indication that despite the best intentions of the eBay Feedback system it is not very good.  It is subjective in the extreme.

One trend I see with newer Buyers is they don't hesitate to slap down a Neg FB for a Seller without any effort in trying to work things out with their "Trading partner" (eBay's term for a Buyer and Seller on a transaction).

I also think NO Feedback should be allowed by EITHER Buyer or Seller on sold items at or below $ 20.00.  

I'm not as worried about the dollar amount as I am the number of transactions that newbie buyer has completed.  In this case, completed means purchased, paid, received, not returned.  If the buyer cancels - it doesn't count.  If the buyer doesn't pay, they lose 3 completed points.

Personally, I'd rather do away with feedback altogether and go to a simple rating system of transactions completed, transactions unpaid, transactions returned.  Unpaids and returns happen - true.  But when the percentage of unpaid or returned exceeds a given threshold, either we are talking about the most unlucky person to be shopping online, or we are talking about a disruptive, abusive buyer.

Has anyone read thru the Shop Safe Act that eBay is trying to get us to help prevent?  Interesting piece of consumer protection legislation, at times both overly broad and naively optimistic regarding buyer abuse.  But there is one part I find most interesting -- member vetting.  Sellers are already vetted on eBay - it takes more than just an email and a credit card to become a seller.  But buyers are not vetted at all, meaning there is no meaningful way to stop disruptive and abusive buyers from being expelled and simply creating a new ID to continue on.  Vetting of buyers would need to include use of their address information... which would make it harder to create new IDs after expulsion, and would also allow eBay to vet the address the same way sellers have to vet a delivery address (so as to not attempt delivery to an address that does not exist).

Now imagine if online venues were to pool those expelled addresses with USPS reported theft data.  How much of an increase in early detection of scammers could we expect?  How much more successful prosecution of said scammers would be achieved?

Feedback is outdated and ineffective except for buyer extortion of sellers.  Get rid of it and move on to something less 'impression/feeling' and more 'how things ended'.  Then eBay can focus on vetting buyers (like Amazon and other venues do) and start working towards a much better balance between buyer protections and seller protections.  And while you're at it... how about reducing/eliminating "free returns" like Amazon and other online retailers are doing? 

OK... time to take off the rose-colored glasses and stop daydreaming.  After all, this is eBay we're talking about, right?

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 45 of 94
latest reply