cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual Amount of Cancelations Last 2 Weeks?

Not sure if this is just an anomaly, or if it's part of another system issue, but I've had a weird number of cancelations. I try to reach out to the buyers to get more info, but most just say "Ordered by mistake". Has eBay increased the sensitivity of the Buy Now button?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Unusual Amount of Cancelations Last 2 Weeks?

Honestly, to me, 'Ordered by Mistake' always makes me shake my head.   You have to go through multiple screens to buy something.  You did NOT 'accidentally' progress through that many screens.

Do people choose that when they realize they put in the wrong address? sure.  Do people choose 'Ordered by Mistake' if they found a better price? sure.

I don't think I've had any more than usual lately though.  I just accept the cancel and add the item back to the inventory.  (Separate annoyance... why isn't that automatic?!)  

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I think that the buy now button might be too sensitive as you suggest. I was looking at something yesterday and poof it was in the cart. I had to stop everything and figure out how to remove it. Maybe some buyers feel obligated to pay and then ask for a refund?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Maybe some of them found a better price as someone else mentioned.  Maybe they buy a few of the same items and then cancel some of them.  Another possibility, they bought the item, and found out they can't afford it.   Also, they could have paid for an item they just purchased and then fell victim to the new pop up window and accidentally bought your item (which may have been in the pop up window). 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@pls-consignments  I was going to suggest the same thing as @cardsforauction.

eBay was testing a pop up "up sell" feature a few months ago that suggests another item for a buyer to purchase after they complete an order and it's done in a way that some (very validly in my opinion) believe could cause confusion and an increase in cancellations or returns/chargebacks.

I originally saw it back in December, then it seemed to go away for a while, and now users are reporting seeing it again just in the last couple weeks so that may at least be a factor in what you're experiencing.

More info:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Insidious-eBay-Pop-up-causing-people-to-think-their-credit-car... 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I've had a few cancellations and about 4 returns in the last month, which is a staggering amount for me. I get more like 2 cancellations and 4 returns a year.  The 2 cancels were "mistakes" so I think that valueaddedresource has a good explanation for us. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply