cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universal Postal Union

Have any others sellers heard of this proposal from the Trump administration?

U.S. to pull out of Universal Postal Union

This has propsal has receied little attention, but here are two articles from The Washington Examiner and The Washington Post.

Washington Examiner

Washington Post

What would this proposal mean for online sellers shipping outside of the United States?

What would this proposal mean for China shipping into the United States?

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Universal Postal Union

I've said it before. Why the panic? Or, why the excitment?

We have a president who doesn't care about spilling the beans before the real conversation is even engaged.  I can go and on, but we all will get into a politicized, (more?) debate.

The question is that if shipping to the US stops big time, because those millions of little packets won't come anymore, no matter how cheap, the postal office will look for a victim to scavenge and make it pay for the losses. That's where you and I will be a participant. 

latest reply

@wbattles wrote:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/return-sender-postal-union-warns-171845702.html

Now a top official is saying that the U.S. withdrawal could put a stop to International mail for the U.S.

"It will have dramatic consequences for American consumers. It will cost them enormously. They will be all alone against all the countries of the world," Clivaz told The Associated Press on Friday. "They won't even be able to send (a package) to a neighboring country. It's an accord that links everybody." - Pascal Clivaz, deputy director-general of the Switzerland-based Universal Postal Union.

"A U.S. pullout from the 144-year-old organization, a specialized U.N. agency, would strip the U.S. from access to special codes needed to send and receive mail internationally, Clivaz said. Any U.S. companies that need them — like FedEx or UPS — would lose access too, he said. This agreement regulates all the issues: technical problems, customs issues, security issues. Without the codes, without this green light, you can't move a single letter or package," he said."

Renegotiation of the treaty would require a majority vote among UPU members.

I don't know about you, but half of my buyers are overseas so....

Meh, it's just hysteria.  The UN gets most of it's money from the US, do you really think it's going to do anything to jeapordize that?  Countries make money off our shipping, and the last thing the world wants is the USA to deny other cuntries access to our markets.  That would happen if they tried to restrict our mail.  Think about it.  Don't be so afraid.  Sometimes you just have to stand up for yourself.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

@lunalapin1912 wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

We lose around a half billion dollars a year due to China flooding our nation with their products.  

That "half billion dollars" is a number exaggerated by you-know-who.  The same you-know-who that doesn't understand, or refuses to listen to/understand, the definition of a trade deficit.  

It does not mean the US is losing money.

I work for the USPS, and yes, they are losing money with the China shipping.  If you want to understand why this is bad for our country, take an economics class.

I wasn't talking about USPS's monetary losses; I was talking about Trump's insistence that the US is "losing" money to China because of the trade deficit.   Which he continually inflates to "half billion dollars" and that is not accurate.

I have taken economics courses.  Even before google was invented I understood that the definition of a trade deficit does not mean "losing money."

He's right though.  The USPS loses a huge amount of $$$ on Chinese shipping.  We make it up by raising prices on domestic shipping.  Why do you think domestic shipping keeps going up?  Our employee levels are going down, and we haven't had to put in any extra equipment lately.  Congress gets special updates on packages from China and we have to meet some really strict timelines.  Why do you think we have a billion dollar loss each year, even though we raise prices?  It's not all that stupid retirement prefunding mandate.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

@lunalapin1912 wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

We lose around a half billion dollars a year due to China flooding our nation with their products.  

That "half billion dollars" is a number exaggerated by you-know-who.  The same you-know-who that doesn't understand, or refuses to listen to/understand, the definition of a trade deficit.  

It does not mean the US is losing money.

I work for the USPS, and yes, they are losing money with the China shipping.  If you want to understand why this is bad for our country, take an economics class.

I wasn't talking about USPS's monetary losses; I was talking about Trump's insistence that the US is "losing" money to China because of the trade deficit.   Which he continually inflates to "half billion dollars" and that is not accurate.

I have taken economics courses.  Even before google was invented I understood that the definition of a trade deficit does not mean "losing money."

This posting is about the postal losses due to subsidizing Chinese prodects.  Perhaps you should read the thread so you know the subject.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@estella5624 wrote:
This has propsal has receied little attention

A quick Google of Universal Postal Union Trump shows new reports in the last week by:

• Washington Post
  • Washington Examiner
  • Washington Times
  • Wall Street Journal
  • New York Times
  • Financial Times
  • The Independent
  • Reuters
  • The Economist
  •  The Atlantic
  • The Guiardian
  • The Hill
  • Bloomberg
  • The Telegraph
  • US NEws & World Report
  • Fortune
  • ABC
  • CNN
  • NBC
  • BBC
  • CBS
  • AP
  • Business Insider

And that was just the first couple pages.

Interstingly, the WAPO ran a couple positive opinion pieces ("Trump made the right call to withdraw from the Universal Postal Union", "Trump’s Postal Service audit is actually a welcome chance for reform") which lets a bit of air out of Trump's claim that "the media always criticizes me".

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to explain that succinctly.
Message 21 of 25
latest reply

This is baloney.
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

This withdrawal is great for the US sellers, as thePostal Union allows Chinese sellers ship for pennies and take away business from the US sellers. EBay is lobbying for Chinese sellers and sent out emails to the US sellers to write to Congress to stop the withdrawl. 

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

They are subsidized by the Chinese government .
Robert
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

I know nothing about it, but if the UN is for it, it likely is bad for the average American and beneficial to every other country in the world. 

Message 25 of 25
latest reply