cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is requesting a return after 60 days

Hello everyone!   Im fairly new to Ebay selling..  I started in October..   I just received an email today from a buyer that wants to return an article of clothing..   It was purchased on Nov 3rd and shipped the next day..  

The email stated..   Can I return this item, it was given as a Christmas gift and doesnt fit..  

Its now Jan 9th..   I could even see if it was right after christmas..   But over 2 weeks after Christmas now..   I am aware that the no returns, doesnt mean no refunds..  I have accepted some returns..  The item is a Lularoe Sarah Cardigan..   Retailed at $70.00    I sold it with best offer at $60.00    

First my one concern is it sitting in someones home for over 60 days...   Im not sure if the tag is on it,  as I still need to respond to her email.   But I always feel bad and will probably cave..  but it really gets me frustrated.. At what point can you say no..   

I have been selling Lularoe for over 2 years and even on Facebook I never had anyone after 60 days.. But im aware of the Ebay bad negativity and so far only have postive reviews...    Im a single Mom with 3 kids who got caught up with the Lularoe nightmare and now in debt because of it.    

(Incidentally I just checked my rating and I have one negative that someone wrote..   exactly   "The seller sold the item already and im really dissapointed,  I should have kept my gift card")

I think they reviewed the wrong person,  I dont give out give cards, and if something sold why should I get a negative review?   That one confused me..    Lol   

Thanks for any advice..   😞  

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

I wouldn’t do anything except block the buyer. It’s too late for her to to file an SNAD with eBay and it’s too late for her to leave negative feedback. You are an eBay seller not a major retailer so she can pound sand. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

eBay won't make you refund, but PayPal would/will. The buyer may also be able to get return shipping paid by PayPal.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

If the OP files with Paypal, won't Paypal require her to pay return shipping to the seller?

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Ask her if the tags are still on it and if it in the same condition and can be resold. Tell her the window for selling this type item is passing and that you would appreciate it if she did not return it. She might anyway but if you can appeal to her good sense as a person (that you have children to feed) she might keep it. Because she has already stated that the reason for the return is because it didn't fit and not anything you did wrong or it being a SNAD, you shouldn't have to pay shipping for her to return it and even PayPal might not cover this since it is a "not fitting" reason. Mainly the 180 days is a problem with the product. 

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

I would communicate with the buyer and ask if the tags are still on it. What others have said is true - the buyer is past the return date here on Ebay but can file a case with Paypal - and they may allow her to return the item with her paying return shipping.

But if the buyer bought using a credit card - she can file a chargeback with them. Most buyers win their chargebacks and you are then out the money, out the item - as they never return it - and out a $20 paypal chargeback fee. I just went through this with a return - I should have just let them return the item and absorbed the return shipping cost. Instead I fought the SNAD and won as it was a remorse return and they then turned around and filed a chargeback with their credit card which I lost.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

It looks like there is really no way around it: if a buyer wants their money back, they will get it one way or the other. So awful you lost your money that way.  I feel the only protection we have is to just not sell anything we cannot afford to lose. That kind of takes the fun out of it. 

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Thanks I would love to tell her to pound sand..   In fact theres alot of people I would love to tell to pound sand..   I like that expression.. Lol     It just sucks that people dont realize we are small businesses just trying to put food on the table.     Thank you!

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

Thanks to everyone!   Yes im afraid that she will end up doing a charge back or something like that.  Then ill also be out my Sarah too..   Like someone said if she wants her money back shell likely get it one way or the other..     Im going to ask for a picture of it with the tag on it..    And ill see where it goes.  

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

eBay won't make you refund, but PayPal would/will. The buyer may also be able to get return shipping paid by PayPal.

No they won't. It was a gift and they admit it doesn't fit. Not the sellers problem. 

Tell the buyer it is too late for a return. If they open a case on ebay call ebay and have them close the case in your favor while you are on the phone, it is outside your return window and outside ebay protection return window, and buyer has already admitted this is a remorse return.

buyer states this is a gift, then buyer has no past sales history with you. 

If buyer lies and says it is not as described come back here and we will walk you through getting that case closed in your favor also. 

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

can I return this item? I got it for Christmas gift and it does not fit her..thank you and god bless

This was her exact message...  Copy and Pasted..   

So she was giving it to someone else..  

Im still concerned she will do a credit card chargeback and Ill be out money and my item..  

Im going to respond now and Ill let you all know what happens..  its just ridiculous.

Is there a time frame that someone can do a Credit card charge back?  

So you cant give someone a negative review on Ebay after a certain amount of time? 

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

Whenever you see that "god bless" you know you are in trouble. As if god has anything to do with trying to get  a refund out of the return window. 

The problem with a credit card chargeback is that it can be sometimes more than a year. That would be only through paypal, not ebay. 

I don't think buyers can leave feedback past 60 days. 

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Thats exactly what I thought too about throwing God in there.     😞   

Like   (I want my money back..  God Bless.)  

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

I wouldn’t do anything except block the buyer. It’s too late for her to to file an SNAD with eBay and it’s too late for her to leave negative feedback. You are an eBay seller not a major retailer so she can pound sand. 

😄  ;D

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

The feedback 60 days policy counts from the date of purchase ? OR the date of USPS delivery?
Message 15 of 34
latest reply