cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS refusal to scan in items

Who has the issue with their local post office refusing to scan in items and making you drop them in a box? I have tried multiple times to have the clerk scan in my items and they get snippy and state that because "we" (USPS) give you (eBay sellers) discount shipping you need to drop off without scanning in. Mind you, they have no idea who I am, what I do, or what type of pricing I pay. I am trying to find the policy within the USPS that corroborates this and haven't found anything. This issue has led to multiple items being considered late shipment and I am just about fed up with having to defend myself for something that shouldn't even be an issue. If I didn't print my label and used the QR code... they would have no choice but to accept the package, thus I am being penalized for making their job easier. Someone shed some light on this without telling me to use the QR code. 

Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: USPS refusal to scan in items

@erikstuff wrote:

Oh... I see.  Only once has there ever been an item taken from a drop box.  Well, that's comforting to know.  What I DON'T like is when I drop a package in the mail box at my near-by Postal Station on a Monday morning before the 10AM pickup... and the FIRST scan is at 1:35 AM on a Tuesday night.  Once the FIRST scan was 3 days later in Philadelphia (I'm in Florida).  The late scan leaves me wondering if it's been stolen... and possibly my customer thinking I'm a slow shipper.

@erikstuff 

You may want to revisit my post as I did NOT say that.  I don't mind you disagreeing with me, just don't try changing what I said to suit your point of view.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 76 of 81
latest reply

your right , but there employees are on the news here in atlanta stating on TV they they arent scanning  ... and give excuses .. and the managers around here ... well the last audit of the postal system recently stated that the management needs a lot of work( really defecetive  ) ... heck some of the postal carriers are driving around smoking cigars in there USPS vehicle ( doesnt look like anyone cares ) so i reported it and have seen the same carrier smoking days in a row afterwards ... so if the managers doesnt care ... neither will the employees ..... and the mail gets worse ..... look up USPS postal issues atlanta ... all over the news 

Message 77 of 81
latest reply

WOW! That's nuts! It is their job to scan packages. I have never heard of that from the USPS. Might be small town friendliness here but I bring items 3x week to be scanned and have friendly conversation with the USPS employees as they scan my items. 

Message 78 of 81
latest reply

It's my understanding that the post office with your zip code on the label (your post office) gets the credit and the nice other PO does not get the "credit."  The credit is a measurement of their usage and can determine if they have enough traffic to not get shut down. 

Message 79 of 81
latest reply

I also have a large rural mailbox that is amazingly "bigger on the inside." My mail carrier picks up my packages and does the initial scan on the spot.  She'll come to my front porch and pick up large packages if I leave her a note. She says they appreciate my outgoing business because it helps justify their branch. 

Message 80 of 81
latest reply

@winterpalace25 wrote:

I also have a large rural mailbox that is amazingly "bigger on the inside." My mail carrier picks up my packages and does the initial scan on the spot.  She'll come to my front porch and pick up large packages if I leave her a note. She says they appreciate my outgoing business because it helps justify their branch. 

It also helps her paycheck.  The busier their route the more they make.  So it is a win win situation.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 81 of 81
latest reply