cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboLister is Retiring July 2020

I just got this message and I wanted to make sure as many people see it as possible.  I'm saddened by this news as no matter what Ebay is saying, the Seller Hub does not have enough features to replace the main uses of TL.  For me I am very unhappy by this news.

Starting July 2020, we will stop supporting Turbo Lister. Downloads of the Turbo Lister listing tool in the US have not been available since 2017.

Because many eBay sellers continue to rely on Turbo Lister to list items quickly and easily, we want to give you plenty of time to transition to other listing options. We’ve already integrated many popular Turbo Lister features in Seller Hub to support you during the change.

We’re committed to providing you with the best tools and functionality possible, and we’re working diligently to develop a solution that will enable you to continue to list on eBay with maximum ease and efficiency. The new solution will offer many of the same popular Turbo Lister features and functionality, including the ability to manage and edit listings offline. We’ll let you know when it is available.

In the meantime, many Turbo Lister features are available in Seller Hub at no cost. You can bulk list, edit, and manage your listings from the Active Listings tab. You also have the option of using other eBay bulk listing tools such as File Exchange. Learn more.

We appreciate your business.
Thank you for selling on eBay.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 1 of 179
latest reply
178 REPLIES 178

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mam98031 wrote:

We’re committed to providing you with the best tools and functionality possible, and we’re working diligently to develop a solution that will enable you to continue to list on eBay with maximum ease and efficiency. The new solution will offer many of the same popular Turbo Lister features and functionality, including the ability to manage and edit listings offline. We’ll let you know when it is available.

I wonder if these new features, including the ability to manage listings offline, will be ready in July when they retire TL.

Message 2 of 179
latest reply

Well, sorry to hear that.

If ebay is committed to providing the best tools for sellers, why get rid of the ones they have that do work?  Somehow, I can't see them coming up with better in any length of time.  I mean, look at Seller Hub, IS, Search, CS, etc.

Oh well.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 179
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I wonder if these new features, including the ability to manage listings offline, will be ready in July when they retire TL.

That email says zero about that or even hints at that possibility.  So I think it is very doubtful.  Personally I find this quite problematic.  TL is a very good tool for many sellers.  After all this time one would think Ebay could have created a new version of this program for its sellers.  One that would work with current programs and the such.  Good grief they have had 3 years.  

It appears to me it just wasn't hand hasn't ever been a priority.  The Seller Hub is basically has the same functions it had 3 years ago too.  So it seems to me they have come to the conclusion that they are not going to give us a replacement for TL and they want to get out from under this old program all together.

Message 4 of 179
latest reply

eBay confirm Turbolister will be fully retired in Feb 2019

https://tamebay.com/2019/01/ebay-confirm-turbolister-will-be-fully-retired-in-feb-2019.html

eBay announce they’ll be retiring TurboLister in 2017

https://tamebay.com/2019/01/ebay-confirm-turbolister-will-be-fully-retired-in-feb-2019.html

If they can't replace TurboLister with a reasonable offline alternative, I'll be forced to create a dozen more selling accounts with 50 free listings on each ... 

Message 5 of 179
latest reply

I agree.  My guess is Ebay doesn't get any additional revenue from TL, so they're ending it.  I have approx. 1,000 items cataloged, ready to list on  a moments notice (and we all know there are "opportune" times to list).  I find nothing (free) on the seller hub that allows cataloging in advance with the capability to upload in less than 30 seconds.  All these other apps are bloated, charge a monthly fee, etc.  EBay doesn't make money from buyers; their cut comes from the seller.  The only sensible reason to hinder the selling process (from this MBA's perspective) is to charge more to sell, hence killing TL.  Another great customer service move eBay!    

Message 6 of 179
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gracieallen01 wrote:  why get rid of the ones they have that do work?

Because it's become more costly to maintain compatibility for the outdated software than it is to build out new tools and features in seller hub.

Message 7 of 179
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hotdog wrote:

I find nothing (free) on the seller hub that allows cataloging in advance with the capability to upload in less than 30 seconds.  

I make liberal use of the "inventory" feature, and to a degree use templates, as well.

Message 8 of 179
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

eBay confirm Turbolister will be fully retired in Feb 2019

eBay announce they’ll be retiring TurboLister in 2017

If they can't replace TurboLister with a reasonable offline alternative, I'll be forced to create a dozen selling accounts with 50 free listings on each 🙂

I'm unsure of your point.  I think we have all been aware that the days left for TL have been numbered.  Ebay has made no secret of that.  But it doesn't lessen the impact now that they have announced an actual time frame.

What doe opening multiple accounts solve for you?  The reason I ask is because we must use TL differently as that would solve nothing for me.

I use TL to create new listings, store my templates and keep a copy of listings that I am might get more stock on at a latter date.  I probably have about 2,000 historical listing that I want to keep so I don't have to recreate them.  As well as a 100 or so templates.

I tend to create listings in a flurry.  I get a new shipment of books and I just start creating.  

I know it can be different for others.  But working offline works very well for me as it enables me to work on stuff as I can and not fear losing the info.

Message 9 of 179
latest reply

@hotdog wrote:

I agree.  My guess is Ebay doesn't get any additional revenue from TL, so they're ending it.  I have approx. 1,000 items cataloged, ready to list on  a moments notice (and we all know there are "opportune" times to list).  I find nothing (free) on the seller hub that allows cataloging in advance with the capability to upload in less than 30 seconds.  All these other apps are bloated, charge a monthly fee, etc.  EBay doesn't make money from buyers; their cut comes from the seller.  The only sensible reason to hinder the selling process (from this MBA's perspective) is to charge more to sell, hence killing TL.  Another great customer service move eBay!    

I don't think this has anything to do with revenue for Ebay.  If it were, Ebay may present to sellers an option to TL for a fee.  They haven't done that.  However there was a survey they sent out quite a while ago that did suggest there might be a fee associated in the future with TL or similar program.  Speaking for myself only, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee for the use, support and advancement of the program.

I think this has to do with programming.  They don't want to develop the program.

TL is a very old program, so I'm confident it presents big challenges to support, maintain and advance.  But it just seems to me that Ebay, being the Tech company that they are, could have come up with a more current form of TL in the past 3+ years if they had wanted to.  It seems to me they don't want to which brings us to the announcement today.

Message 10 of 179
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:  why get rid of the ones they have that do work?

Because it's become more costly to maintain compatibility for the outdated software than it is to build out new tools and features in seller hub.

I'm not really sure what is more challenging for ebay  - maintaining compatibility or finding a reasonable 3rd party to build a non-problematic replacement.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 11 of 179
latest reply

7I've been registered with eBay since day one, back in the day when your email was your user id and it was free to list.  (Yes, that's how old I am and why my user id has no numbers (registered it the first day it was required).)  I bought stock the day of the IPO ($52/share; two weeks later it was $29; 30 days later the rocket took off and I paid off my house).  I still have the first shareholder's report - talk about ego!

I've watched every phase and acquisition of eBay's growth.  I supported the acquisition of PayPal, until I realized take were going to take another cut of the sale when the payment is processed through PayPal (a built-in double-dip, since using PayPal is a requirement).  One would think that may violate some antitrust law, but that's a battle for another day.

Contrary to what their press releases say, including today's TL announcement, eBay has never been about customer (the seller) service.  They are the big fish, the 300-pound gorilla, and their practices are the elephant in the room.

Why does eBay want to reinvent the wheel, when TL serves the customers needs?  It's simple:  there's $$$$ in it for them somewhere down the road.  

Message 12 of 179
latest reply

I use TL the same as you; I find myself with items to list, but at a later date.  It's nice to take an "easy day", maybe put  some music on or turn on a game, then create listings to be uploaded at a later date.  Why can't they just leave well enough alone?  There must be future revenues in it for eBay.  Why else would a company dedicate resources to coming up with a replacement (ECON 101)?    

Message 13 of 179
latest reply

@hotdog wrote:

7I've been registered with eBay since day one, back in the day when your email was your user id and it was free to list.  (Yes, that's how old I am and why my user id has no numbers (registered it the first day it was required).)  I bought stock the day of the IPO ($52/share; two weeks later it was $29; 30 days later the rocket took off and I paid off my house).  I still have the first shareholder's report - talk about ego!

I've watched every phase and acquisition of eBay's growth.  I supported the acquisition of PayPal, until I realized take were going to take another cut of the sale when the payment is processed through PayPal (a built-in double-dip, since using PayPal is a requirement).  One would think that may violate some antitrust law, but that's a battle for another day.

Contrary to what their press releases say, including today's TL announcement, eBay has never been about customer (the seller) service.  They are the big fish, the 300-pound gorilla, and their practices are the elephant in the room.

Why does eBay want to reinvent the wheel, when TL serves the customers needs?  It's simple:  there's $$$$ in it for them somewhere down the road.  

I've been here almost as long, so I don't think that has a great deal to do with it.  I've seen many things too.  And IMHO not everything is about money.  However it is very important to always keep in mind that Ebay is a for profit company and they shouldn't have to apologize for that or defend their right to make a profit anymore than us sellers should.  We are all here to make money.  

Sometimes we agree with Ebay's methods and sometimes we don't.  This is one of the times I don't agree with Ebay as I'm sure others won't either.  A more current / updated program to replace TL even at a monthly cost would have been welcomed by many.

Message 14 of 179
latest reply

@hotdog wrote:

I use TL the same as you; I find myself with items to list, but at a later date.  It's nice to take an "easy day", maybe put  some music on or turn on a game, then create listings to be uploaded at a later date.  Why can't they just leave well enough alone?  There must be future revenues in it for eBay.  Why else would a company dedicate resources to coming up with a replacement (ECON 101)?    

I forgot to mention I also store about 500 auctions in TL.  I don't run them often anymore, but I still do from time to time.  I also have a few FP listings I store but typically will only run when there is a free promo as well.

Message 15 of 179
latest reply