cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too high selling fee

Hello,

eBay sales commissions take commissions beyond imagination. I don't want to use it anymore. If someone makes a website like eBay for a low fee, they'll all move there.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Too high selling fee

That is why I started putting a lot on my stuff on Facebook marketplace. The site has more active users, I get scammed less, I pay less in fees, and I even get more money for some of my items than I can on eBay. 

Message 16 of 39
latest reply

@gkn29 wrote:

I'd rather pay the fee and have my item sell, rather than pay a low fee, and have it sit rotting for years on a zero traffic site. That's what you are proposing.

::cough::Bonanza::cough::

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 17 of 39
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@gkn29 wrote:

I'd rather pay the fee and have my item sell, rather than pay a low fee, and have it sit rotting for years on a zero traffic site. That's what you are proposing.

Haha, I literally had to look that site up. So much for traffic...

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 18 of 39
latest reply

Hi @daniel.k.yi 

I suspect there's a reason why nobody has made a 'website like eBay for a low fee' to date.  Many things seem doable until one actually tries to make them happen.  Good luck to you!

Message 19 of 39
latest reply

@gkn29 wrote:

eCrater.  🙄

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 20 of 39
latest reply

I agree w u. But the high commission of ebay must be stopped...

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@gkn29 wrote:

eCrater.  🙄

Don't forget eBid.

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

OK, every smart seller has to find a place that works best for him.  Make sense? 

Message 23 of 39
latest reply

@daniel.k.yi wrote:

I agree w u. But the high commission of ebay must be stopped...

Then, by all means, create an on-line marketplace that offers everything eBay does but with lower fees.  Go ahead.  There is not one thing to stop you.  We have pretty much a free market economy.   Do it. 

If you don't have  sufficient capital you need, use the equity in your home, borrow from family and friends, borrow on your credit cards, devise a good, solid business plan and start shopping the banks and the venture capitalists.

As Nike says:  Just do it! 

-

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

@completepuzzle wrote:

I'm so sorry! I misread your fifth one. I thought it said ebay. Scanning too much stuff today...

LOL - so did I at first glance - not enough coffee [6.30am here]

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 25 of 39
latest reply

"I agree w u. But the high commission of ebay must be stopped..."

You cannot make eBay stop charging what you consider to be a high commission, which they call the Final Value Fee (FVF).  You can only decide whether you want to be charged that FVF in the future.  You can avoid the FVF by having no sales on eBay.  

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

Selling on one of those 5 sites stated by everyone would be like starting a new job. So many hick-ups on a new site just like a job. I have so much to still read about eBay and such. Do I really want to sell on a new site and have to learn all the new stuff about selling. Nope. My repeat buyers would never find me. Plus giving out more banking and personnel information is not worth it. And I actually like the eBay app. on my iphone  better than my PC.

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

'About' identical, is not the same as actually being identical. They are probably referring to eBay now basing their fees on the total sold-for amount (including sales tax), rather than Paypal, which only took a percentage of your earning and not a percentage of the total sale.

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

Stop me if you've heard this.....

eBay used to charge a 10% selling fee.  PayPal charged 2.9% plus 30 cents.

Now, eBay charges 12.9% plus 30 cents as their selling fee, all monies going through them.

If you are good at math, you can see where I'm going with this. 

There is no difference.  Zip, zero, nada.

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

Since 1998 PayPal charged me a fee on the total paid by the buyer. 

Message 30 of 39
latest reply