cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too high selling fee

Hello,

eBay sales commissions take commissions beyond imagination. I don't want to use it anymore. If someone makes a website like eBay for a low fee, they'll all move there.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Too high selling fee

Payment processors normally take a percentage of the total sale including shipping and sales tax.   Paypal and eBay divorced before eBay began collecting sales tax for multiple states. 

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

Craigs List

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Selling on one of those 5 sites stated by everyone would be like starting a new job. So many hick-ups on a new site just like a job. I have so much to still read about eBay and such. Do I really want to sell on a new site and have to learn all the new stuff about selling. Nope. My repeat buyers would never find me. Plus giving out more banking and personnel information is not worth it. And I actually like the eBay app. on my iphone  better than my PC.

I've sold on multiple sites since 2000 - before I even started here.  Spend an hour or so reading up then list - ?  Basically, if you're used to selling on one place, half the battle is won. 

I'd actually say that people who sell in on at least one other site often have less problems with adapting to changes on this one - they may not like those changes or agree with them, but they easily adapt.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 33 of 39
latest reply

Compared to other platforms, the ebay fees are not bad at all. Yes, it's a complex platform. However, it does offer plenty of opportunity to draw traffic to your listings.

Good luck!

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

Its a very simple solution.  Raise your prices...

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

@house*of*paws wrote:

Hi @daniel.k.yi 

I suspect there's a reason why nobody has made a 'website like eBay for a low fee' to date.  Many things seem doable until one actually tries to make them happen.  Good luck to you!

Anyone else remember Yahoo! Auctions?

She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 36 of 39
latest reply

I agree w u. But the high commission of ebay must be stopped...

EBay is a business and like any business, including the sellers on this forum, their sole purpose for existing or being here is to make a profit. For eBay that includes maximizing the ROI for their investors. EBay has about 12,000 employees that have to be paid, provided benefits and in some cases provided with office space. They also have a significant IT infrastructure to maintain and a number of contracts with companies they have outsourced to. They also pay taxes like any company and those expenses have to be paid. 

Without providing a significant return to their investors they would not remain in business long. If the fees seem high you have alternatives. You may also want to look at your own net profit percentage and see what your ROI is and then take a look at the eBay financial reports and see what their net profit percentage is. 

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@completepuzzle wrote:

What's the fifth one?

1. Ebay
  2. Amazon
  3. Mercari
  4. Poshmark
  5. Etsy

Choose one to be #5, these are in no particular order.

You really need to include Walmart on that list, they are now the #2 Marketplace for 3p sellers (those sellers do more GMV than eBays total).

eBay does remain far and away the biggest "pure" marketplace (100% third-party sellers) outside of China.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

Shopify is morphing.  I set up there some years back but just didn't have enough time to do the marketing I needed - I was working at a W2 job already and selling on a couple of platforms online, and it was just too much at that time.  But they're definitely making their presence known.  Somewhat different structure - runs in the background like Big Commerce. 

I would say that if someone can sell successfully on eBay, which is a complicated setup, they can sell pretty much anywhere else, which are, in my experience, simpler sites.

But in many ways, eBay still dominates the preowned market.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 39 of 39
latest reply