cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too high selling fee

Hello,

eBay sales commissions take commissions beyond imagination. I don't want to use it anymore. If someone makes a website like eBay for a low fee, they'll all move there.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Too high selling fee

Absolutely! 

Message 2 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

Great.  Why don't you go ahead and start one and we can all move over there once you get established?

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

Fees charged can easily be found with just a little looking. Maybe you could have checked before listing the item? Feedback for selling on this account is over a year old, guessing when you were selling before and getting funds via Pay-Pal, there was a disconnect between when item sold and you paid the fees. Now that you are on Managed Pay, those fees are just more there in your face. 

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

There are already a ton of ecommerce sites out there and a lot of them have lower fees than eBay. Many are specialized in a particular category and most of them don't have the buyer base eBay has but I diversified across multiple venues and platforms long ago and most of my items sell on those other platforms. 

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

eBay sales commissions take commissions beyond imagination.

You cannot imagine anything higher than 12.9% of the total payment, plus 30 cents?

I don't want to use it anymore.

That is certainly within your control.

If someone makes a website like eBay for a low fee, they'll all move there.

If Amazon and Yahoo and Jack Ma could not do it, I would not hold my breath. Most people who try end up with a website with low fees and low traffic.

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

Fees are charged at time of sale on the selling price, shipping cost, and Internet (state) sales taxes. There may also be an international purchase fee if the buyer uses a non-US payment processor and non-refundable fees if the seller opted to use such options as SubTitle or Reserve.

Store fees are charged monthly.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

The eBay Selling Fees are about identical to year 2011. 

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

Here is a  list of what I call  the "big five" when it comes to third party selling websites and the fees for each.  All use some form of retail payment processing AKA managed payments.   Fees are only part of the decision to choose a site to sell on.

Ebay charges (in most categories)  12.95% plus 30 cents final value fee on the total the buyer paid including item price, shipping and sales tax.  No fee to list if you use a basic listing and keep within your listing limits.

Amazon final value fees average 15% plus 99 cents of the sale price plus shipping if you don't have a store plus $1.80 if you sell a book (per transaction fee).  Their fees range from 8-45% and is charged on the total amount paid to the seller. They do not charge fees on sales tax.  No fee to list. They charge 7 cents to print a shipping label (at least they used to a few years ago).

Mercari charges 10% on the sale price plus shipping  plus 2.9% plus 30 cents processing fee, so 12.9% plus 30 cents. No fee to list.  They don't specifically state that fees are charged on sales tax, but the 2.9% fee applies to the total amount the buyer pays, so I assume that is what is charged on the sales tax.  Their FAQ is not clear.

Poshmark charges $2.95 final value fee for sales under $15 and 20% for anything higher than $15. No fee to list.  Their FAQ makes no mention whether fees are charged on sales tax or shipping.

Etsy charges a listing fee of 20 cents per listing. Final value fees are 6.5% paid on the sale price plus shipping plus final value fees that vary depending on country. For the US, final value fees are 3% plus 25 cents, so 9.5% plus 25 cents.  If you sell from the US or Canada, fees are not charged on sales tax.  If you sell from outside the US or Canada, fees do apply.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

Bye. 

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

What's the fifth one?

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

@completepuzzle wrote:

What's the fifth one?

1. Ebay
  2. Amazon
  3. Mercari
  4. Poshmark
  5. Etsy

Choose one to be #5, these are in no particular order.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 12 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

I'm so sorry! I misread your fifth one. I thought it said ebay. Scanning too much stuff today...

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

@daniel.k.yi wrote:

Hello,

eBay sales commissions take commissions beyond imagination. I don't want to use it anymore. If someone makes a website like eBay for a low fee, they'll all move there.

I'd rather pay the fee and have my item sell, rather than pay a low fee, and have it sit rotting for years on a zero traffic site. That's what you are proposing.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 14 of 39
latest reply

Too high selling fee

Having sold at flea markets and even through my own consignment store (where I charged a selling commission of 25% - 30% for big items)  before eBay had been born.  It is much cheaper and  easier to sit in my air-conditioned office without worrying about overhead and the additional paperwork.   Shipping a few boxes is much easier than packing and unpacking at a flea market.  

I have no problem with eBay base fees just their using search manipulation to induce sellers to charge higher prices and pay additional fees.    EBay's playing field has become less level with every change they've made with both sellers and buyers being expected to pay more for less service. 

Message 15 of 39
latest reply