cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tolerance for buyer rudeness

We've all gotten that rude buyer who messages with aggressive words about an item they just received. We've been called scammers, rip offs, idiots, stupid, etc. It's one thing when the buyer is doing this after they bought something... you have to deal with them in a consistently polite and professional manner and provide that great customer service. But what if a buyer is doing this before even buying anything from you?

In their initial message to me (which has exclamation points and all caps where appropriate), the buyer rudely accuses me of trying to scam people because in one of my listings I have a picture of various colors to choose from and red being one of them. According to them I do not have red as a choice in the pull down menu when purchasing (they are mistaken). I reply that if they look at the entire pull down menu for color, they will see Red listed as a choice. Their reply begs to differ because they claimed to have looked thru ever single option and not see the Red... calling me a scam.

I then save that variation choice in my watched list so I have a direct link to it and copy/paste it to them so the Red is already chosen for them. The buyer then replies (with no mention of the Red) telling me okay, the shipping is way too expensive (calling it a rip off) and asks for a discount.

Would you continue to reply and do business with this person? They don't have many feedbacks nor left many of them. Can you foresee this buyer maybe being problematic down the road? And if so, I wouldn't even profit as much since the buyer is asking for discounts while being a burden. I understand that this issue could have been caused by eBay mobile app or site. But that shouldn't excuse the buyer's aggressive attitude. Perhaps I'm just being too picky about my buyers... dunno.

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

A problem buyer can turn into a good customer. 

Message 31 of 59
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

So many sellers are so quick to BLOCK a problem/rude/stupid customer, which is fine, sellers prerogative.

I see sellers on this board who will BLOCK a customer simply for asking a stupid question. 

My boss (at my real job) has a different philosophy. Rather than ban problem customer from the store, i want him to come back so i can take MORE of his money.

Just a thought.

I get it, but we sellers do not have to put up with abusive buyers, we are not dogs in the street to be kicked.  I would rather not allow a buyer like this to further darken my day.

First Block, and then:

Dear buyer,

Unfortunately I think we may have gotten off on the wrong foot.  I think you may be happier purchasing from another seller.  May I recommend XXXXXX.

Kind regards,

Happy helpful seller.

You can decide whom you wish to unleash this buyer on.

Message 32 of 59
latest reply

What would Jesus do?

Message 33 of 59
latest reply

@candiesduds wrote:
Wow at least you got lucky enough that the buyer revealed their nasty attitude before the sale, giving you ample time to block them. I guess it depends on how customer service friendly you wish to be. While I would never resort to their level and call anyone names etc.. I certainly don't allow any rude buyer to call me names or be a complete schmuck. I have no qualms about pointing out their bad behavior to them. Just because we are the sellers that should not mean we have to take buyer abuse with a smile on our face and I'm personally so over the 'buyer is always right' nonsense because they clearly are NOT!

Yep ,, the buyer isn't always right . In fact I'd bet they're wrong more often than the sellers are  in any given time . It's the seller who knows his or her  own products  the best . IMO the best way to do business  with a rude nasty name calling  buyer is not to do business with them at all,, just talk to the hand . Whomever invented the slogan '' The buyer is always right ''  also invented brown nosing . Not  exactly  something  I'm desperate enough  to lower myself to . The buyers may have the money   but that doesn't make the sellers  less human and less  worthy of respect . Tulips 

Message 34 of 59
latest reply

@joesoucie22012 wrote:

What would Jesus do?

Throw them out of the temple

Message 35 of 59
latest reply

@joesoucie22012 wrote:

A problem buyer can turn into a good customer. 

But who wants business badly enough to swallow all self respect... I certainly don't.  Buyers who treat sellers badly.... because they can... aren't really people I choose to cater to.  There are too many great people out there that are appreciative of a seller's efforts.  A buyer who abuses sellers just because they can is someone who would kick a kitten, just because they can.

Message 36 of 59
latest reply

@joesoucie22012 wrote:

What would Jesus do?

Not sell on eBay.

Message 37 of 59
latest reply

You can report abuse to ebay, I am not sure if you would have to call but I do know they take these reports seriously, even more so if the member has not made a purchase. Probably best to call before even replying and just ask them what you should do (like, silent report).

Message 38 of 59
latest reply

I would simply say F**** Off or P**** off in all Caps!!! LOL... I wish lol... thats only in my head, IF only we could do that, unfortunately I am too polite and professional to do it. I would simply block and not answer anymore cause it sounds like a problem just waiting to happen...
Message 39 of 59
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

So many sellers are so quick to BLOCK a problem/rude/stupid customer, which is fine, sellers prerogative.

I see sellers on this board who will BLOCK a customer simply for asking a stupid question. 

My boss (at my real job) has a different philosophy. Rather than ban problem customer from the store, i want him to come back so i can take MORE of his money.

Just a thought.

The difference with your boss and his situation is your boss can uphold his own business policies - which is something we can not do here - aka - false SNADs. Your boss can also ban the buyer from being served in his store - again even tho we have seen different "policies" from the blues - we are not always able to get CS to concur when a buyer makes a new ID to purchase an item because we have blocked them for a good reason.

I'm all for great customer service and trying to work with each and every customer - that's business. I don't block for asking 1 stupid question when the answer is in the description - but if they show signs of being a problem buyer or leave less than favorable feedback without even contacting me to work with them on a problem - they do go to my BBL. 

Message 40 of 59
latest reply

Would you continue to reply and do business with this person? 

--------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't have replied at all,  and it would have been an instant block.

Message 41 of 59
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

Would you continue to reply and do business with this person?   No.

Can you foresee this buyer maybe being problematic down the road?  Yes.

Personally, I feel like the BBL is the one of the best forms of Seller Protection that Ebay provides.  I also appreciate the INR Seller Protection as long as you can prove delivery with tracking.  That has cut down on fraud a lot too.

Buyers on Ebay are extremely entitled.  I think it has to do with Ebay providing them the opportunity to contact the seller.   The majority of my returns come from people that had asked questions prior to purchase or had a hard time paying for the item.  I have considered removing the ability for buyers to send questions, but if you get a glimpse of the crazy you can use the BBL. 

Message 42 of 59
latest reply

A buyer who abuses sellers just because they can is someone who would kick a kitten, just because they can. jeannicho 

Not in front of me they couldn't . Kitten , puppy  or elephant Tulips 

Message 43 of 59
latest reply

@webwanna wrote:
I have considered removing the ability for buyers to send questions, but if you get a glimpse of the crazy you can use the BBL. 

I wouldn't recommend removing the Ask Seller Questions option for buyers. I know one seller who's done exactly that, and he's been running and re-running the same wrong listing for ages now, with a glaring error in it that's going to bite him big-time if he ever manages to sell it, but because he's turned off buyer messaging, no one can get through to him to correct it.

I suppose it's possible that people did tell him in the past, but he didn't believe them and got tired of being corrected, but the end result is the same either way. His loss.

Message 44 of 59
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@webwanna wrote:
I have considered removing the ability for buyers to send questions, but if you get a glimpse of the crazy you can use the BBL. 

I wouldn't recommend removing the Ask Seller Questions option for buyers. I know one seller who's done exactly that, and he's been running and re-running the same wrong listing for ages now, with a glaring error in it that's going to bite him big-time if he ever manages to sell it, but because he's turned off buyer messaging, no one can get through to him to correct it.

I suppose it's possible that people did tell him in the past, but he didn't believe them and got tired of being corrected, but the end result is the same either way. His loss.

I've made sales BECAUSE I was able to clarify  questions from interested buyers . That guy is cutting off his nose to spite his face .  Why even bother being a seller here  if it's just too much trouble to type a few lines ? Gheesh . Tulips 

Message 45 of 59
latest reply