cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tolerance for buyer rudeness

We've all gotten that rude buyer who messages with aggressive words about an item they just received. We've been called scammers, rip offs, idiots, stupid, etc. It's one thing when the buyer is doing this after they bought something... you have to deal with them in a consistently polite and professional manner and provide that great customer service. But what if a buyer is doing this before even buying anything from you?

In their initial message to me (which has exclamation points and all caps where appropriate), the buyer rudely accuses me of trying to scam people because in one of my listings I have a picture of various colors to choose from and red being one of them. According to them I do not have red as a choice in the pull down menu when purchasing (they are mistaken). I reply that if they look at the entire pull down menu for color, they will see Red listed as a choice. Their reply begs to differ because they claimed to have looked thru ever single option and not see the Red... calling me a scam.

I then save that variation choice in my watched list so I have a direct link to it and copy/paste it to them so the Red is already chosen for them. The buyer then replies (with no mention of the Red) telling me okay, the shipping is way too expensive (calling it a rip off) and asks for a discount.

Would you continue to reply and do business with this person? They don't have many feedbacks nor left many of them. Can you foresee this buyer maybe being problematic down the road? And if so, I wouldn't even profit as much since the buyer is asking for discounts while being a burden. I understand that this issue could have been caused by eBay mobile app or site. But that shouldn't excuse the buyer's aggressive attitude. Perhaps I'm just being too picky about my buyers... dunno.

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

It's causing you enough concern to post here so - blocked bidder list.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 59
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

Would you continue to reply and do business with this person? They don't have many feedbacks nor left many of them. Can you foresee this buyer maybe being problematic down the road?

Why are you even entertaining this idiot? With his first message to me, I would have welded him into my Blocked Bidder List and not even bothered to reply.

When they're not just clueless but aggressively clueless, they are not going to get better after they have actually bought something from you. I'm not sure how many red flags you need here, but I see plenty already...

Message 3 of 59
latest reply

Sometimes I wonder if people even know the definition of the word scam anymore.  

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

Tell them no discounts and then go raise the prices by $2 on each variation, except for the Red one. Raise the Red one by $5. Call it a rudeness entitlement fee.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 5 of 59
latest reply

Purchasing within a brick & mortar store rather than on the internet may be more appropriate for this particular buyer.

Do this potential buyer a favor and add him/her into your bbl

Message 6 of 59
latest reply

You are not being too picky. I would probably politely tell them that they have other options.

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

Just how badly do you need this buyer?

I'm pretty sure that you could block this 'person' and would still have a very good chance of running into the same thing on down the line, so that you won't miss out of the 'experience'. 

There is a good chance that this isn't the full extent of the problems you could have with such a buyer - wait for the next one and pass on this one.  Smiley Wink

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 8 of 59
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

lol I was on the toilet and had nothing to do so I was thinking... might as well grin

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

I would ignore. A buyer like that, even if you do everything perfect, may leave you a negative review. He is trying to bully you into giving him a discount.
Message 10 of 59
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

Tell them no discounts and then go raise the prices by $2 on each variation, except for the Red one. Raise the Red one by $5. Call it a rudeness entitlement fee.

or... raise all by $2 except for the red one. That way he thinks he gets a discount. 

laughing

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

Rely on your instincts, they are usually right. I would not do business with this buyer. Be sure you have your Buyer Requirements set to block communication from those on your Blocked List. He is likely to be upset when you block him.

Message 12 of 59
latest reply

I also would block. I would not even respond to the shipping discount either.

Buyers do not get that for most sellers the shipping price is exactly what they have to pay, sellers that are not in China do not get a shipping discount.

Fell blessed that the buyer didn’t start this after the purchase...

No sale is worth this aggravation 

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 13 of 59
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Rely on your instincts, they are usually right. I would not do business with this buyer. Be sure you have your Buyer Requirements set to block communication from those on your Blocked List. He is likely to be upset when you block him.

Yea, sadly the buyer is still able to message until a certain time after my last reply. I think it's a week but I forget.

Message 14 of 59
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

lol I was on the toilet and had nothing to do so I was thinking... might as well grin

TMI, man.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 15 of 59
latest reply