cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today ONLY... 15% off

These TODAY ONLY sales every other week is getting to be a real joke.

Ebay, your desparation is showing.

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Today ONLY... 15% off

My grocery runs ads like that weekly.  This day only, for three days only, etc.

It's not uncommon.  

Boosting sales will help Ebay and Ebay sellers.  That's a good thing.

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

Funny how they're limiting the sale events we can have, while running their own sales more regularly than ever.

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

But this is stated clearly in their TOS? I'm not saying at all I support what they've done or am I down with it but this is a part of what we agreed to let happen if we decided to stay and sell here after the last major TOS update and actually even before that. They just made it more explicit what they were, can and will do if in the best interest of eBay and it's investors, not sellers or even buyers.

While I see @castlemagicmemories point, I also see where this largely benefits eBay as a brand, not sellers. The analogy of a grocer doesn't really hold because a grocer doesn't have millions of sellers they've rented store space to who need visibility and the ability to run whatever specials they think will work for their current and future customers.

If you have a brick and mortar in a shopping mall or open air court the management of either doesn't tell you when you can run specials and how often. If anything, if a mall tried to do that, the brands would simply close their stores down citing that the mall placed too many restrictions or limitations on them thus not allowing them to serve their customers effectively.

Shop Rite is just Shop Rite, Ralphs is Ralphs, Tire World is Tire World whereas millions of sellers are what makes eBay eBay. Again, not cool but they clearly have this right per their TOS. It's up to us to determine whether this works for or limits our business model and efforts.

The truth has few friends but many enemies.
No one is perfect, though a mirror and the right clothes may make some think otherwise.
Message 4 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

@hioctane62 wrote:

Funny how they're limiting the sale events we can have, while running their own sales more regularly than ever.

I thought the MDM changes were reverted?

(I only skimmed it since I rarely do MDM or sales)

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@hioctane62 wrote:

I thought the MDM changes were reverted?

(I only skimmed it since I rarely do MDM or sales)

The last thing I saw was that the removed just the 14 day wait BETWEEN sales, not the initial 14 day wait.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 6 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

As a cheap person, it has gotten to the reality that I sit more in my watch list and wait for a sale. I have a couple in my watch list like that, but now I realize I can live without them.

I used to work for Mervyn's we always had sales. On sale days we might do $50,000 in sales. On the non sale days we might do $8,000.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 7 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

@jason_incognito wrote:

As a cheap person, it has gotten to the reality that I sit more in my watch list and wait for a sale. I have a couple in my watch list like that, but now I realize I can live without them.

I used to work for Mervyn's we always had sales. On sale days we might do $50,000 in sales. On the non sale days we might do $8,000.

Depends on the type of sale to how well you will do with it.

When I had my B&M store in a dying mall, the anchor store (which had another store in the 'good' mall on the other side of the city) would run sales and no one paid attention.  The place was a ghost town, barely a car anywhere near their outside entrances.   Finally they ran ads, special Sunday flyers, and posted all over their store starting in November - EVERYTHING in the store 50% off - but only at Southtown. 

Ghost town.  Everyone went to the 'good' store and demanded the deals and were told to go to the other store - they bought in the 'good' store and paid full price there.  This went on for two solid months.

Then on Jan 1st the store announced it was having a closing/going out of business sale - everything is 10% off.  The parking lot was filled the next morning filled with suckers that ignore the 50% off prices and flocked to throw their money at 10% off.  The did more business in one day than they did the 2 months the merchandise was 50% off.

What ebay is doing may put some sales on the books now, but the sales plan is only short term growth -  the buyers will get used to weekly sales and eventually only come to ebay if there is a sale.  Meanwhile buyers will continue to go to the 'good' site with a better reputation for everything else.

(*Bleep*)
Message 8 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

Awesome I’ve had things waiting in my cart for another coupon code.  Score 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 9 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

LOL, it's been 8 whole days since their last coupon code, if you don't count the one for tech just this week.

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

@hioctane62 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but do I really need to care how many sales they run, because they're covering the discount on the purchase from me; I'm getting full value for my sale.

If I ran my own sale event, then I would be discounting my own prices, and making less as a result.

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

Actually, if you can afford to run a sale, now would be the time while ebay is covering an extra 15% for the buyer. Sadly, these frequent sales are becoming a bit of a "boy who cried wolf" to buyers. Why buy now when they might have a better sale next week?

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

@hioctane62 wrote:

Actually, if you can afford to run a sale, now would be the time while ebay is covering an extra 15% for the buyer. Sadly, these frequent sales are becoming a bit of a "boy who cried wolf" to buyers. Why buy now when they might have a better sale next week?

Well, I run auctions, so I don't do sales of my own, but I'm happy to see coupons offered like this, since the winner can use it on my item if the auction ends within that time period, and in fact I do have a couple that will be ending this evening.

P.S. I notice that in true eBay fashion, their quality control does not extend to proofreading:

"Max. $100 of orders $25+."

I assume that should read, "Max. $100 off orders $25+." Hopefully their coding of the actual coupon itself will work as intended at payment time.

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

@a_c_green wrote:

@hioctane62 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but do I really need to care how many sales they run, because they're covering the discount on the purchase from me; I'm getting full value for my sale.

If I ran my own sale event, then I would be discounting my own prices, and making less as a result.

You're not wrong at all.

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

Today ONLY... 15% off

With retail these days a 15% off sale is considered "meh" when most buyers are trained to expect a minimum 30% off before they'll even think of opening their wallets.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 15 of 48
latest reply