cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips On How To Adapt To Good Til Cancelled for Fixed Price Listings

Any positive thoughts? What is your strategy going to be to continue selling with fixed price listings here?

Yes I know many say they won't be able to do this, that it'll harm or end their ability to continue selling on eBay; but many of us are making enough profits to absorb this change.

How will non-store sellers with 100 or less FP listings be affected? 50 or less listings?

From what I can see, instead of using 50 'free' 30 day listings, sellers will have to pay 35 cents or so on the beginning of the month. Right?

Shouldn't small sellers be able to absorb those extra 50 fees at 35 cents each?
How will you adapt to this?

Thanks
Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Tips On How To Adapt To Good Til Cancelled for Fixed Price Listings

I'm gonna do what I do every seller update - wing it!

I'm stuck here. My stuff doesn't sell anywhere else. No buyers on Amazon, Etsy or Mercari for what I sell. In fact, I'll never break even on Etsy, even if I don't relist anymore and close up shop - which I am doing. (for the third and last time) 

I have buyers and good sales here on this account and my others, so I gotta do what I gotta do. I'll may dust off my third selling ID that's been dormant for a few months and send stuff over there if I need to.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 31 of 61
latest reply

@stickboy1974 wrote:

Wow - I forgot to put this into the equation:

Say it is the second option -

someone who posts an item for $4.00 and $1.00 shipping

For the next two weeks - Paypal takes 45 cents, ebay takes 50 cents. Seller clears $3.05

Mid March - PP 45 cents, ebay takes 85 cents. Seller clears $2.70.

Item does not sell first time - Now the $2.70 turns into $2.35

Item does not sell second time - Now $2.00

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

This mirrors the transition to favor fast selling brand name/designer items new and preowned from larger sellers. Keep dunning smaller sellers that make ebay interesting & unique with fees/restrictions & they will eventually go away - the desired result, unfortunately.

Message 32 of 61
latest reply

Still No. Lol anyone following my math, it is flawed. The best way I can really use all my listings without having to babysit them is to list them all at the end of the month. I'm going to take a month off I think you try this approach, rather than listing just half at the beginning on the month. Again, I refuse to set an alarm to end listings. Just wanted to clarify that my math was wrong and my suggested approach will not work.
Message 33 of 61
latest reply

I'd be willing to give it a try - but I have a lot of inventory in an oversaturated category. For years I've been doing well even if I have to change things up once in a while and am more than satisfied with my sell thru rate - up until Jan. It's been down since April - but it was still above average.

Due to all the inventory - I have less than 1/2 of my items listed at anyone time so rotate the items each month. By having to cancel on the 28/29 th day so I can rotate my items out - I then am losing a days worth of visibility when the item is high on visibility as it's ending. Many buyers buy within the last couple of hours of a sale I have found with my items. Due to sales being down - I'm not willing to upgrade right now.

Message 34 of 61
latest reply

Why are so many ppl thinking sellers are automatically charged at the beginning of the month! If you don't have free listings to cover a GTC at the time it renews, you'd be charged on whatever date that is. It would be 30 days from the date listed, doesn't mean its the beginning of the month. Most sellers list items throughout the month.
Message 35 of 61
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

Any positive thoughts? What is your strategy going to be to continue selling with fixed price listings here?

From what I can see, instead of using 50 'free' 30 day listings, sellers will have to pay 35 cents or so on the beginning of the month. Right?

Shouldn't small sellers be able to absorb those extra 50 fees at 35 cents each?

Absorb the fees ?

How about this as an example:

March 1 thru March 6 - I list 5 items each of those days - 30 items total.

By the end of 2019, if I miss ending those listings, they will each hit the GTC magic of ebay relisting those for me twice during a month

March 1 - gets relisted March 31 = $2.10 fees

March 2 - gets relisted May 1 and May 31 = $2.10 fees

March 3 - gets relisted July 1 and July 31 = $2.10 fees

March 4 - gets relisted August 1 and August 31 = $2.10 fees

March 5 - gets relisted October 1 and October 31 = $2.10 fees

March 6 - gets relisted December 1 and December 31 - $2.10 fees

By the end of 2019 those 30 listings will have cost me an extra $12.60

Message 36 of 61
latest reply

I am going to list only 50 items a month on Buy It Now, so that I don't have to pay the extra fees.  I have a lot of low price items and can't absorb extra fees on those.  If there are free listings available as an Ebay promotion, I will list those items as auction items, with Buy It Now, only if they are NOT automatically renewed.  I don't have the time or energy to watch hundreds of items.  I am a small seller, and was hoping to expand this year.  Now I will expand elsewhere, on other sites or sell some items locally.  I am against this new change, because some items I just don't want to renew.  Some items sell better at different times of year.  Maybe I want to list them later, list them elsewhere, donate them, etc.  It should be my choice, not the choice of Ebay.

Message 37 of 61
latest reply

The more listings I've had up, the more sales I've had. I would think ebay would promote MORE inventory being listed, not less. My best year I made around 7k. I was able to keep around 1500 listings up, no insertion fees.

Last year I made around 1k. I was able to keep around 300 free listings up.  Now it will be 50 GTC  and not 1 more.

I have a feeling this policy will fail and be changed, but it will effect a lot of sellers negatively in the meantime. 

I had hoped this was 50 free gtc every month, cumulative, so I could get thousands of listings again, and ebay would get their final value cut and it would be win/win. Sadly it's what I had hoped it wouldn't be, and I haven't seen a positive comment about it from any seller on here.

Message 38 of 61
latest reply

The months that have 31 days is the issue I think.
Message 39 of 61
latest reply

Fraid not.  Months with 30 days will not be exempt - I hope I got these right - did it fast

April 1 - gets relisted twice - May 1 & May 31

April 2 - gets relisted twice July 1 & July 31

April 3 - gets relisted twice - August 1 & August 31

Well you get the idea

Message 40 of 61
latest reply

In other words, is eBay backhandedly deciding that low profit items may no longer be a good fit on this site?  If so, do they realize most sellers with any experience know high priced items no longer fit either because the risk of losing them to scammers is too great?  Just take a moment and think about all of the rarities that never see the light of eBay.  So if they don't want us offering anything too "cheap" and leave us out to dry with anything too "expensive", what exactly is left?

For a company seemingly all about the money, they sure are turning it away.

Yes, excluding one in favor of the other won't work if there is no other, and what would become of all those 99 cents with free shipping listings?  YKWIM

Message 41 of 61
latest reply

@moms**art**window** wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

In my musings on this, I wonder if the rationale is that in order to increase sales velocity, to avoid having items relist, sellers would need to lower prices?  And this is more incentive to do that?  

You are probably right BUT many one of a kind's don't work like that,it's very often the right buyer & right price combo = sale 

right price without right buyer = no sale 

True.  Right price doesn't always mean the buyer will immediately appear.  I just meant, generally.  Ebay has been promoting lower prices a lot, through adding Best Offer, sending buyers offers, messages about lowered prices, etc.  and more sales, faster sales, translate to more profits, more quickly.

Message 42 of 61
latest reply

Does this mean the same 50 listings will renew every month?  So if you only sell 5 things in one month the next month you can only relist 5 more?

Message 43 of 61
latest reply

Yes. Now if you get a listing promotion, you can list more but then you have to be vigilant so that those 100 freebies to turn into 100 relists at 35 cents each . I’m assuming that most of your items will not sell since it’s dreadfully slow on eBay now.

Message 44 of 61
latest reply

@moms**art**window** wrote:

In my musings on this, I wonder if the rationale is that in order to increase sales velocity, to avoid having items relist, sellers would need to lower prices?  And this is more incentive to do that?  

You are probably right BUT many one of a kind's don't work like that,it's very often the right buyer & right price combo = sale 

right price without right buyer = no sale 

True.  Right price doesn't always mean the buyer will immediately appear.  I just meant, generally.  Ebay has been promoting lower prices a lot, through adding Best Offer, sending buyers offers, messages about lowered prices, etc.  and more sales, faster sales, translate to more profits, more quickly.

And yet they recently had a promo for FVF% off for selling items listed for over $500.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 45 of 61
latest reply