cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for eBay to lift their banning of selling fabric face masks

It's time for eBay to lift their banning and canceling auctions for handmade fabric face masks.  

The President of the United States even said they are recommending Americans wear fabric face masks and still continue the social distancing guidelines.  

Wake up eBay, they may not be a perfect solution, but they can't hurt.  People are getting very sick and even dying.  Time to reverse your stance on this.

As far as price gouging, that's up to the buyer on what he/she wants to pay.  No one is making them spend more than they want.  

Message 1 of 649
latest reply
648 REPLIES 648

Re: Time for eBay to lift their banning of selling fabric face masks

Fabric masks have literally zero protection against viruses.  Period.

Message 166 of 649
latest reply

@everythingallery wrote:

Lift the banning people need a face mask !!!!!

Until they do, you can't list them.

Have a great day
Message 167 of 649
latest reply

@leeroberts4 wrote:

The continue to post  items but banned me and others from doing so....

And you still list them.

Have a great day
Message 168 of 649
latest reply

What I don't understand, you know you can't sell the mask here and some of you have had listings removed, but you keep listing them.

Why not follow policy and not list them.

Have a great day
Message 169 of 649
latest reply

What everybody SHOULD be asking is, "Why isn't the CDC tell the general public to wear eye-protection?" 

With all due respect, machine made or hand-made face masks, even the most effective kind, are not enough to protect anybody from picking up the virus, because it travels via the air, attached to saliva droplets and can infect one through the eyes (it is not picky in regard to WHAT kind of mucous membrane it attacks you through, nose, mouth or eyes). 

PW🐿

Message 170 of 649
latest reply

@excellent-22 wrote:

Fabric masks have literally zero protection against viruses.  Period.

@excellent-22 

Not quite zero, but they will not prevent you from getting the virus.  The fabric masks just aren't built for that.  Every new report I've seen on these have been very careful to say this.  They won't prevent you from getting the virus.  

But they will significantly decrease the potential for asymptomatic people from PASSING the virus.  It will help their droplets from escaping into the air and transmitted to someone else.

So since testing has be a HUGE hurtle to get over since the start of this, millions of us just don't know if we are infected or not.  So the fabric face mask with help if we all wear them.

Just remember to wash them after each outing.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 171 of 649
latest reply

I bought two fabric masks this week on eBay & they have been received.mochacat 

I did too ,,  before e bay  banned them  . We use them every time we leave the house for anything essential. It really boggles my mind that a handful of price gougers  have actually succeeded  in stopping people from getting  something so important  in such a life and death crisis   as were now facing . Tulips 

Message 172 of 649
latest reply

I’m also an ICU nurse and wearing masks is going to be the new normal fit quite some time. If someone wants a mask that they are comfortable in. That matches their outfits, or like team masks, just makes them happy then why can’t they have purchasing options. And if someone has the talent to make these and the raw goods, and the time why shouldn't they be compensated? 

Message 173 of 649
latest reply

@ricfa_4015 wrote:

I’m also an ICU nurse and wearing masks is going to be the new normal fit quite some time. If someone wants a mask that they are comfortable in. That matches their outfits, or like team masks, just makes them happy then why can’t they have purchasing options. And if someone has the talent to make these and the raw goods, and the time why shouldn't they be compensated? 

@ricfa_4015 

I think we have a misunderstanding here.  I have NEVER said that the fabric masks should not be sold on Ebay.  I've repeatedly said the exact opposite.  So we have no disagreement on this subject.

Message 174 of 649
latest reply

I’m also an ICU nurse and wearing masks is going to be the new normal fit quite some time. If someone wants a mask that they are comfortable in. That matches their outfits, or like team masks, just makes them happy then why can’t they have purchasing options. And if someone has the talent to make these and the raw goods, and the time why shouldn't they be compensated? ricfa 

I was also a nurse  until I retired and so  I agree with you .  People SHOULD have a choice . The fabric masks do indeed help to keep  air born virus from  landing directly near your nose and mouth . This is why the CDC is adamant about people wearing them  . However just as  important and getting back to the topic of  choice . This is America,, a successful capitalist country  for over 200 years . So obviously how we've always done things  has worked out  well for the most part . If adults need and want masks  they should be able to purchase them anywhere   without  being  punished just   because of a few profiteers . Tulips 

Message 175 of 649
latest reply

I have NEVER said that the fabric masks should not be sold on Ebay.  mam 

We know ,, it's just that e bay has decided people can not buy them or sell them here . And this is happening during a very serious  critical pandemic with a highly contagious disease  that has already killed thousands upon thousands of people  worldwide .  The protection  of   life    should be of the  utmost importance over anything else. If a full grown adult wants to buy a mask  for themselves or their family  they should be allowed to . Whatever money they want to spend  in an attempt to help save their  life  should be up to them to decide .  Not to say that I'm not totally against price gouging.  However  I'm sure there are people who realize that money doesn't do any good  if they're dead. Tulips 

Message 176 of 649
latest reply

General observation...

Some people are saying fabric masks are 'worthless', yet a growing number of communities are making them mandatory:

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/10/831480486/in-l-a-its-now-mandatory-for-everyone-to-wear-face-covering...

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/cities-and-counties-in-texas-that-require-people-to-wear-a-mas...

Anyone desperate to acquire these useless, necessary items can go to the other four letter 'e' site. Or make a temporary one by cutting a square out of an old tshirt, folding it over, folding the ends over, and putting a rubber band around the ends. 

Message 177 of 649
latest reply

I bought two fabric masks from two different sellers on e tsy; one informed me of at least a month delay in shipping, the other is past due to ship but has not...They are swamped with business I guess. They should keep making them but end the listings until they are caught up.

As far as the ineffectiveness of these homemade masks I have no illusions, but I do believe that they can greatly reduce the effects of people sneezing or coughing or even talking in public.

FWIW

-------------
Posting ID
Message 178 of 649
latest reply

@heyyoufoundit wrote:

General observation...

Some people are saying fabric masks are 'worthless', yet a growing number of communities are making them mandatory:

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/10/831480486/in-l-a-its-now-mandatory-for-everyone-to-wear-face-covering...

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/cities-and-counties-in-texas-that-require-people-to-wear-a-mas...

Anyone desperate to acquire these useless, necessary items can go to the other four letter 'e' site. Or make a temporary one by cutting a square out of an old tshirt, folding it over, folding the ends over, and putting a rubber band around the ends. 

@heyyoufoundit 

The two links you posted do not say what you are saying.  They are just reporting that those areas are requiring masks.  

Speaking for myself, I'll stick with the recommendations of the CDC, WHO and Dr. Fauci.  And none of their recommendations say what you have said above.  I went over this in my post #171 on this thread, so I won't repeat it.  But you are welcome to go up thread and read it if you'd like.

Message 179 of 649
latest reply

*I'm not saying these masks are worthless, just that some others in this thread have. 

*If something is mandatory, there should be ( and are) ways to comply. 

Sorry if my post was hard to understand.....

Message 180 of 649
latest reply