cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for eBay to lift their banning of selling fabric face masks

It's time for eBay to lift their banning and canceling auctions for handmade fabric face masks.  

The President of the United States even said they are recommending Americans wear fabric face masks and still continue the social distancing guidelines.  

Wake up eBay, they may not be a perfect solution, but they can't hurt.  People are getting very sick and even dying.  Time to reverse your stance on this.

As far as price gouging, that's up to the buyer on what he/she wants to pay.  No one is making them spend more than they want.  

Message 1 of 649
latest reply
648 REPLIES 648

Re: Time for eBay to lift their banning of selling fabric face masks

@scstool wrote:

No, I don't think they would have any liability, but I am also not a lawyer. It is the risk of getting sued even if it a frivolous lawsuit. Or even just complaints vs lawsuits.  Also the cost of policing the listings, I saw someone mention Ebay was restricting sales of cloth to make N95 masks. 

And what exactly is an N95 mask? I know what it is as far as NIOSH certification and FDA "clearance". If you advertised elastic cord for use to construct a face mask is it okay as long as you don't say N95?  Can you list fabric as having a 95% particulate filtering efficiency? I wonder if just the number "95" will activate the bots. It seems very easy for Ebay management types to get bogged down in all these details and just issue broad draconian guidelines which sort of fixes the problem for them, but may be cutting people off from needed masks.

I think you should be able to sell home-made masks, but just not claim they are NIOSH N95 masks.

edit: thanks for the links

I think you are over thinking this.

A N95 mask is not made of fabric like a home made mask.   Quite different.  Elastic over the ears is NOT a unique option to only N95 masks.

N95 masks have the ability to filter out virus from reaching the person wearing the mask.  A fabric mask can't do that.  

From the CDC:

An N95 FFR is a type of respirator which removes particles from the air that are breathed through it. These respirators filter out at least 95% of very small (0.3 micron) particles. N95 FFRs are capable of filtering out all types of particles, including bacteria and viruses.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-use-faq.html

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 649
latest reply

I agree. I just had mine taken down for PRICE GOUGING!  I was asking $6.00 with free shipping.  How is this price gouging?!?  Do they think material, elastic, thread, etc. is cheap?  Material alone each mask cost $1.50.  Shipping with tracking is $2.50.  So my HUGE PRICE GOUGING PROFIT IS $2.00 per mask.  Wow, I'll be rich in no time.

Message 17 of 649
latest reply

Why should they lift the ban, so people can profit off the national emergency?
Message 18 of 649
latest reply

Those are the posts they haven't got to yet. Or they selectively remove them. I had Masks for sale for $6.00 each with free shipping. They cost $1.50 to make, $2.50 to ship with tracking. That leaves a $2.00 profit for me. And they cancelled my listings for price gouging!!!! Wow, I almost got rich!
Message 19 of 649
latest reply

So...the problem is that sellers are making exorbitant amounts of money on something worth a few dollars, and people are paying this because of irrational fear and panic.  (4 cans of Lysol sold for $3400.. ridiculous when bleach and water is just as effective) The reality is that a cloth mask is NOT going to prevent you from getting covid-19.  You are more at risk from high touch surfaces and touching your face than you are from breathing it in.  The cloth masks are better suited over an N95 for healthcare workers to extend the use of the N95 (and need I mention that an n95 and cloth masks are still not available to all healthcare workers partly because of a forum like this).  If you really want to cover your face and feel that that protects you, you can use a bandana, a scarf, a balaclava etc.  It's about as effective as a cloth mask.   And yes, I do take this seriously.  I'm a RN

Message 20 of 649
latest reply

I doubt any of those "sold" items(the ones in the many hundreds/thousands of dollars ever saw any payment. Ebay would have cancelled those sales and/or seller cancelled because there was no paying buyer...

However I do totally agree with the rest of your comments.

Message 21 of 649
latest reply

@xroads67 my understanding is that while it won't keep you from getting sick, it can help trap anything you expel and help keep you from spreading stuff. 

Message 22 of 649
latest reply

@xroads67 wrote:

So...the problem is that sellers are making exorbitant amounts of money on something worth a few dollars, and people are paying this because of irrational fear and panic.  (4 cans of Lysol sold for $3400.. ridiculous when bleach and water is just as effective) The reality is that a cloth mask is NOT going to prevent you from getting covid-19.  You are more at risk from high touch surfaces and touching your face than you are from breathing it in.  The cloth masks are better suited over an N95 for healthcare workers to extend the use of the N95 (and need I mention that an n95 and cloth masks are still not available to all healthcare workers partly because of a forum like this).  If you really want to cover your face and feel that that protects you, you can use a bandana, a scarf, a balaclava etc.  It's about as effective as a cloth mask.   And yes, I do take this seriously.  I'm a RN

@xroads67 

FIRST and foremost THANK YOU for your service.  THANK YOU for caring for our family, friends and loved ones when we can not.  THANK YOU for being so selfless that you are willing to put yourself in harms way to help others.  THANK YOU!!!

No that isn't it.  Sellers do that all the time as do retail stores.  But when we are in a National state of emergency, price gouging laws kick in.  What some are doing is illegal as well as immoral.  Banking money off  the fears and needs of others in a crisis is a horrible thing to do on so many levels.  But because some people don't have the ability to recognize this laws had to be passed to protect us all.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 23 of 649
latest reply

Absolutely agree with you.  I find myself constantly telling people that knowledge is power in this.  Stay safe 🙏.  Thank you for your kind words.  I do what I do because I DO care.  Love and safety to you and your loved ones ❤️

Message 24 of 649
latest reply

That is correct to an extent.  However, my concern is that if people don't use care they are more likely to infect themselves with the mask.  You cannot just don a mask and think that you're safe.  Please, stay home.  If you need to go out, go alone and at times of least crowding. Wishing safety to you and your loved ones ❤️

Message 25 of 649
latest reply

Absolutely true and there are many different kinds.  What the average public doesn't realize is that a N95 has to be the correct fit and fit checked to be effective

Message 26 of 649
latest reply

@andypa_81 wrote:
Why should they lift the ban, so people can profit off the national emergency?

"Profit" is not evil.

I would pay a little money for a homemade mask right now. I can't make my own mask. It would help me and potentially help society.

Perhaps a distinction between medical-grade masks and homemade masks is in order, given the new CDC recommendations.

Message 27 of 649
latest reply

What are we supposed to do? I have customers messaging me wondering if their mask is going to ship and I don’t know what to tell them! I emailed eBay since they don’t seem to have their customer service call center open with the prices of my materials and the labor intensive steps it takes to make. This is beyond frustrating!

Message 28 of 649
latest reply

@village_generalstore wrote:

What are we supposed to do? I have customers messaging me wondering if their mask is going to ship and I don’t know what to tell them! I emailed eBay since they don’t seem to have their customer service call center open with the prices of my materials and the labor intensive steps it takes to make. This is beyond frustrating!

As far as I know, all masks are banned right now. I would suspend those listings until/unless ebay changes their policy. Seems awfully risky to me to keep selling banned items, since your account exists at the pleasure of ebay and they have direct access to your money.

Message 29 of 649
latest reply

If they have already purchased the mask and you have their info and have received payment, why not ship them?

Message 30 of 649
latest reply