cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This needs to stop!

eBay is finally, officially open today --

and then this?

Hi, Good day to you. We are sorry to inform you that the item you purchase is last one we have in our warehouse. Unfortunately, we found out the item was damaged we had to cancel this item off of your order. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and for the delay in contacting you. The money has been fully refunded as well.

The seller cancelled your order

We are sorry to let you know that [seller] cancelled your order and mentioned the cancelled reason as Buyer asked to cancel the order
The seller refunded $[amount] back to your original payment method, and you don't need to do anything else.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: This needs to stop!

@elitefashions12-0 wrote:
Buyer lost nothing

I disagree.

I think the buyer lost one or more of these:

• his time
  • his effort
  • his satisfaction
  • the use of his money
  • the opportunity to buy from another seller who could actually perform
  • a little of his confidence in eBay as a venue

And these last two affect more than just the buyer and seller in this transaction.

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

That is assuming that the item the buyer bought is a commodity item and can be replaced. Some of the issues we see here are for rare vintage collectibles. It's not like the buyer can just go out and find another one. Some of the sellers are cancellign without asking the buyers first and some blame the buyer for the cancellation.

Buyers are on Ebay to buy things that are worth more to them than the money they pay. If they get their own money back that is not a great experience. It's especially troubling when it's due to sellers who are careless OR sellers who blame buyers for the problem.

Message 17 of 46
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

and be sure to tell CS that the seller LIED and is dodging a defect.  Leave appropriate feedback.

I am sick, sick, sick to death of sellers that do this.

Unfortunately the feedback will be removed since "buyer asked."

They have it down to a science, these sellers who are gaming the system.

This thread is the best example why dropshipping shouldn't be allowed on ebay, maybe not even at all.

Pass a law, make it illegal to dropship, as in "if you do not own it (meaning you are not physically in possession of the merchandise) then you can not sell it."

Seems common sense to me that you can't sell something you don't own but these sellers don't see that, worse still is we have companies outright encouraging the practice, pass these laws, vote in November.

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

@hafoster  I agree with those who have suggested calling eBay and reporting the Seller for trying to dodge an OOS strike on their account.  Those policies are in place to protect Buyers from experiencing exactly what you experienced making Sellers accountable for not only thier own inventory but inventory they may be accessing as a drop shipper.  Holding them accountable helps improve the venue's reputation so if you make that effort, then let me say "thank you".

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 19 of 46
latest reply

@elitefashions12-0 wrote:
Buyer lost nothing, if the item is damaged it's damaged, it happens,no big deal, he gets the defect on the account but you want to add to the punishment, things can get missed, obviously you never made a mistake at all in life.

Um...actually the buyer may have lost out buying from a seller who will actually send the item s/he was looking for rather than wasting time buying from this seller instead.  I'm a big enough boy to realize not everything in life will go perfectly my way but if this was a hard to find item on my wish list for years, I'm not going to be happy.  And eBay wants happy buyers.  More importantly, sellers who constantly make these kinds of mistakes make the rest of us have to work that much harder.

The mistake isn't the crime though.  Lying about it is.

<edit: spelling>

Joe

Message 20 of 46
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

That is assuming that the item the buyer bought is a commodity item and can be replaced. Some of the issues we see here are for rare vintage collectibles. It's not like the buyer can just go out and find another one. Some of the sellers are cancellign without asking the buyers first and some blame the buyer for the cancellation.

Buyers are on Ebay to buy things that are worth more to them than the money they pay. If they get their own money back that is not a great experience. It's especially troubling when it's due to sellers who are careless OR sellers who blame buyers for the problem.

It's not just that, even if I'm purchasing a common item perhaps the issue is time sensitive and I need it fast... This little "game" delays my item's arrival by at least one day or more, but what really irks me is if there is indeed some issue (such as item broken / damaged) then why does the seller's listing still show up in search?

You do realize 100's of buyers could order more of that same item and the seller would still be out of stock?

That is the problem.

If the item is in fact broken then at least "pretend" it's true and remove your listing (or make the quantity available 0). No, these dropshippers don't care, to them it's all a game, they're the same ones responsible for all those "follow up" messages begging for feedback, same ones.

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

@sidemouse wrote:

and be sure to tell CS that the seller LIED and is dodging a defect.  Leave appropriate feedback.

No, it won't be removed, not if the OP calls and gets the seller on record. I've done this three times, all three times the feedback sticks.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 22 of 46
latest reply

@sidemouse wrote:

This thread is the best example why dropshipping shouldn't be allowed on ebay, maybe not even at all.

Pass a law, make it illegal to dropship, as in "if you do not own it (meaning you are not physically in possession of the merchandise) then you can not sell it."

Seems common sense to me that you can't sell something you don't own but these sellers don't see that, worse still is we have companies outright encouraging the practice, pass these laws, vote in November.

The feedback is only supposed to be removed if there are messages showing the buyer actually asked to cancel 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 23 of 46
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I had one like that.  There appeared to be damage which I questioned.  Seller said item was fine, so I bought and paid.  Immediately after paying, I get a message saying that there is something broken off the roof, and I don't know what it was and that there are cracks on the front of the house.  Please let me know if you want to cancel and I will refund you.  

So I waited a bit to see what would happen; clearly nothing.  So I messaged the seller that I understood she was out of stock.  Seller was indignant.  I am not a business, I am an individual selling my collection.  I explained that on ebay, whether or not you are a business, if you can't provide the item in the condition specified, you are out of stock.

No response, but she refunded.  

Side note, this was a TRS seller.

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

castle - You mean you bought a house from someone other than me?  I'm crushed!  (j/k!)

LOL, myboardid !

No, I mean I TRIED to buy a house from someone other than you!  Was a cute gingerbread house (of which I don't need anymore anyway, but that is another tale)  No damage detailed in the pics, and I thought I saw a strange spot on the roof and lines on the front of the house, so I asked about them.  No damage, it's fine, but RIGHT after I bought it, came the message about damage and offering to cancel if I wanted.  I didn't buy it to cancel, and have had enough of that, so this time I just said I understand you are OOS, which brought indignation, so I had to explain the OOS.  A cancellation is buyer requested ONLY if the buyer actually requested it, and it's not in response to the seller not being able to provide what you bought.

Please know I am not difficult or mean but there have been a lot of buyer requested cancellations flying around that were only in response to the seller not having the item, changing their mind, or not having the item in the condition specified!

I guess I SHOULD have bought a house from you~then none of that would have happened.  Don't be crushed~one never knows what will happen down the road, you know!

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

a

@sidemouse wrote:

Dropshipping imo was a major mistake that ebay could easily remedy by not allowing it here.  No need for a law to pass.  They could simply state that the item had to be seen by the seller at least once.  Their venue, their rules.

No more 10,000 listings with the same title and same picture clogging up the categories.  The rest of us would actually see more light if they were eliminated.

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

@sidemouse wrote:

No, it won't be removed, not if the OP calls and gets the seller on record. I've done this three times, all three times the feedback sticks.

When it happened to me, for some reason I was not able to leave feedback of any kind.

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

I was under the impression "Buyer Request to Cancel" had to be approved by the buyer.

Regardless I don't understand what the big deal is. The buyer was refunded. There was no loss to them other than a minimal loss of time and maybe a psychological loss from not getting an item they wanted and felt entitled to. Anyway, I have gone to Walmart before and found them out of stock of a certain item I wanted. I was upset, and even on occassion told CS but did not stop shopping at Walmart, because of the low prices and wide selection of goods. If eBay eliminates sellers based on one off 'defects' for not having an item in stock it is only going to reduce the number of goods available on its marketplace and increase prices. Buyers are always worse off when there are fewer sellers to choose from. Reviewing feedback on a seller should be sufficient to tell a prospective buyer whether it is worth the risk to buy from them. Many people here seem to think things are better when Mama eBay steps between the buyer and seller but fact is this just juvenilizes the buyer and seller and leads to more unproffessional behavior and misjudgements.

Message 28 of 46
latest reply

So buyers who make purchases are now considered entitled if they do not get what they ordered.

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

@sidemouse wrote:

Wondering could you see, any of those times, that the reason did change?

Thank you @mr_lincoln, I did call, and was possibly snowed -- please see post #8:

I called again in the morning, to cross-check night shift against day shift --

(didn't mention the last call) and that rep said the reason showed:

Buyer asked to cancel the order

but promised to fix the reason and put the seller on record.

BTW are posts disappearing from this thread?

Message 30 of 46
latest reply