cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is why sales are down....

As a buyer, I search for cyan colored product. There are 50 search results. The first two results are for yellow and the second result is magenta (the word cyan is not in either title). These two results are what I see on my screen ( I am an ignorant, lazy, newbie, or nutty buyer, so I do not scroll down). I go to the river with my money.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Some posters just can't help themselves but to point their finger at the OP in any issue.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of any advice given by a "new" member who is obviously not really new.

Gotta wonder what there is to hide.

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

@parkersparrow wrote:

You might have gotten those color result in your search due to Cyan, Yellow, & Magenta being part of the cmyk color wheel. 

What color wheel? And, what is k? Thanks.

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

@warbuyer99 wrote:

If you are looking for reasons why your sales may be down I would look more at your amount of listings verses sales and not ebay search.

Having 6300+ listings and under 6 sales a day is killing your search placement. I would look at starting to move all of the slow movers. Even ending them would be better than to leave 6300 listings up that do not sell.

Search placement? I do not know what that means. But, thanks for the heads up on sales ratio. I have been raising my discount more and more to flush out old non-sellers. Thanks.

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

@warbuyer99 wrote:

If you are looking for reasons why your sales may be down I would look more at your amount of listings verses sales and not ebay search.

Having 6300+ listings and under 6 sales a day is killing your search placement. I would look at starting to move all of the slow movers. Even ending them would be better than to leave 6300 listings up that do not sell.

OP didn't say anything about "sales may be down" or ask for advice to increase his/her sales.

OP was pointing out that if, as a newbie buyer searching for "cyan" and seeing what is or, more importantly, is not returned by ebay's search algorithms would cause him/her to leave the site and buy elsewhere.  

"Cyan" (no quotes) was an example used by OP.   I shared my search results for "Ralph Lauren Indigo Modern" and they mirrored OP's experience.

True, Sherry. But he did help me to focus on one of my personal problems. I have not been selling enough for the number of listings I am paying fees for. Thanks.

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

Some posters just can't help themselves but to point their finger at the OP in any issue.

Personally, I'm a bit skeptical of any advice given by a "new" member who is obviously not really new.

Snide remarks in past posts use to turn me off this board. Now, I ignore them and let it roll off my back. And, in this case, I think he is just trying to help. Thanks.

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

@jgrit 

If you have heard of RGB (Red Green Blue) additive color used in lighting and displays, CMYK is the complimentary subtractive version used in printing. The "K" stands for blacK (since "B" is already used for Blue).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

@jgrit 

If you have heard of RGB (Red Green Blue) additive color used in lighting and displays, CMYK is the complimentary subtractive version used in printing. The "K" stands for blacK (since "B" is already used for Blue).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model

I think I understand what you are talking about. But, my complaint is about search results. When I am looking for cyan, I do not want every color in my search results, just because they exist in a rainbow or colorwheel. I just want cyan. If I do not see cyan in the first few results, I assume eBay does not sell cyan and I take my money to another website or buying platform.

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

@warbuyer99 wrote:

OP didn't say anything about "sales may be down" or ask for advice to increase his/her sales.

OP was pointing out that if, as a newbie buyer searching for "cyan" and seeing what is or, more importantly, is not returned by ebay's search algorithms would cause him/her to leave the site and buy elsewhere.  

"Cyan" (no quotes) was an example used by OP.   I shared my search results for "Ralph Lauren Indigo Modern" and they mirrored OP's experience.

I think the title itself is positing a reason why sales are down, and I'll have to agree that in general having huge amounts of merchandise on offer with very, very slow sales may drag the entire cohort (store or group of listings) down.  It can be illustrated in part by the phenomenon where one sells a certain item, and then a similar item sells a bit later - it's a relational database.

If I want to use a phrase as a search term, I put quotes around it or I'll get every danged thing under the sun searching on here.  And don't forget those listings that keyword spam 'for exposure.'  I agree with the OP that if one doesn't know how to work the search engine here (which sometimes feels like keeping a 22 year old car on the road) it gets really frustrating.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 38 of 47
latest reply

@jgrit 

But, my complaint is about search results. When I am looking for cyan, I do not want every color in my search results, just because they exist in a rainbow or colorwheel. I just want cyan.

I agree with your complaint -- eBay's search is improperly associating and then substituting keywords that are not proper substitutes. This is a problem.

I believe the other poster was trying to reason out where the improper substitutes were coming from. If a lot of users who are searching for cyan are also searching for yellow or magenta due to their common use in ink and toner printing, eBay's search may be linking those search keywords (improperly so).

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

My sales are up,but my feeling on this subject is hopefully Ebay gives faulty search results for any such color search request....

You should not be shopping online if you need a very specific color.  Each person has a different idea of what Cyan is and every computer screen will display that color differently.  

Ebay sellers end up eating the cost for lazy ignorant buyers who end up returning the Cyan item purchased as an INAD because they think it's more of a cornflower blue.  Please go to the River and let them deal with your return. 

Message 40 of 47
latest reply

@eburtonlabI think that's true - the entire thing works on a relational basis and contextual search - for better or worse certain attributes will become associated if they're continually related in a search.  

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 41 of 47
latest reply

@jgrit wrote:

@hioctane62 wrote:

Snide remarks in past posts use to turn me off this board. Now, I ignore them and let it roll off my back. And, in this case, I think he is just trying to help. Thanks.

I apologize to warbuyer99; ya never know what's going to make me snap crackle and pop nowadays.   These loooong days.  

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 42 of 47
latest reply

And a million non related China floppsies.
Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 43 of 47
latest reply

I don’t know what Dolly Pardon stuff has to do with queen sized comforters!
Oh wait, there might be a connection there.
Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 44 of 47
latest reply

As a buyer mostly of fashion items; I know that I must enter a product name or style.

I have to go through several factors such as size, color and, when I'm shopping for dress sandals, heel height.

Ultimately; I'm usually able to find something that I want, or reasonably close to it.

I feel for those sellers who are having trouble generating results; at least, those who are getting dominated by the large, major stores.

Don't give up, friends!  😉

Jaime

Message 45 of 47
latest reply