cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The "I've been here 20+ years on ebay" Crowd

Just curious, if you sell here for 20 Plus years, are you legally allowed to complain? I see this post at least once a day and Im wondering if after selling for 20 years I can get some kind of incentive to whine about the conditions here. 

For the record, I've been selling on here for 1 year and I have all the same complaints. Just sayin. 

Message 1 of 91
latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

Re: The "I've been here 20+ years on ebay" Crowd

Well part the seas and stand aside....

I've been here 25 years!

Yes. That's right. Twenty. Five. Years. You read that in black and white. Member since Mar 1997 and ebay wasn't officially even ebay until September 1997. So not only was I here before ebay was even ebay I've been here since before most of you were even here.

So yes. I do have the Golden Ticket for Complaining. I get the front row seat. Oh yeah! And let just say I'm Social Security age and I'm also grumpy. And that puts me in ANOTHER level of complaining.

And just remember if you don't like a answer to a question don't ask the question!

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 76 of 91
latest reply

And after all that on my last post....

I will say, that I prefer the ebay of today over the ebay of 1997-2001(ish) when I quit selling the first time. Yes...if you think the **bleep** of Managed Payments is a hassle but you are crying over losing "instant" gratification of having PayPal money...consider this....

Back in the early history...

There was no PayPal. No direct payments of any sorts. Everything was done by checks, money orders and cash. Then you had the jokers that said the "checks in the mail" and nothing showed up then they'd ghost you or give that line once or twice more. Or if you were lucky, they might actually send the check. But in those days, sellers could leave negs for deadbeat buyers.

There were no Buy It Now. Everything was done by auctions. And to this day (as far as I know) ebay has never done the "extend the sale after any bids are entered in the last three minutes." I had many a laptop go from losing money to making me a couple hundred bucks in the last 30 seconds of the sale through sniping. Dang I hated that. I always tried to time the end of my sales about supper time on the west coast.

But on the other hand, ebay stayed out of everyone's business and let the seller and buyer work things out (the way it should be). It wasn't so pro-buyer as it is today.

So there you have the history lesson from the 20+ year geezer.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 77 of 91
latest reply

@forward-motion wrote:

It's always best if you start out with why you are intitled on eBay.

I have been a member for 20 years; I am a disabled war veteran and I have cancer. I should not have to abide by the rules! This is ridiculous and I have a friend who is a lawyer who is going to help me start a high class law suite.   

How did I do? That about sums it up right? 

BTW this July will be my 20th anniversary! 

I'm also a disabled war vet (Afghanistan 2013. Kandahar Air Field). I always say to sign me up for any class action law suits if that is the same as your high class law suit. Heck...just sign me up. I want my $9.56 after lawyer fees.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 78 of 91
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@chicka8618 wrote:

Just curious, if you sell here for 20 Plus years, are you legally allowed to complain?

"Been here 20 years" is just one of a long list of the conditions for being able to legally post here.

You also need to have perfect 100% feedback, to have never had an issue before this, and to remind us that in the good old days there weren't any scammers.

It also helps to throw in a line about how eBay management are a bunch idiots with MBA's who know nothing about how to run a business, that sales tax on the sale of used items is illegal, and that you have a friend who is a lawyer and you are filing a class action lawsuit tomorrow.

All of the above, except most are willing to ''join the class action suit'' someone starts rather than start their own.

Do you think we are getting a bit jaded???

Naaahhhh. Not yet...

But where is/are the line/lines for the class action suit(s)?

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 79 of 91
latest reply

'Join the class action suit" That line would be a long one, all the way around the world.. eBay has had its problems and I have received a check from them years ago for over payment ( $1000's ) after years of ebay over charging and us overpaying...  I think eBays worst enemy is themselves and their customer service.. Very rude, foreign speaking, I cant understand a thing they are saying.. eBay has served a purpose, but it will go away like the Pay-Phone.. Feebay is the new eBay.. They do not care about  the "I've been here 20+ years on eBay" Crowd . What they should do is learn for us ,the 20+ crowd , as we have been selling almost as long as they have been a company.. Good sellers need to be rewarded to bring in more sells. Everyone knows the best advertisement is word of mouth.. No advertising company can change that.. New ads may get the new sellers , but eBay will throw throw them away. Its pretty simple system  but they continue to make it hard .. I long for the Glory Days of eBay ... Ebay you listening , respect your long term sellers as we are the backbone of your company..

Message 80 of 91
latest reply

@dealerdave   I have 5 years to wait before I can post on this thread ... but thanks for starting it ... wonder if it will still be here in 5 years ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 81 of 91
latest reply

@chicka8618 wrote:

Just curious, if you sell here for 20 Plus years, are you legally allowed to complain? I

Yes, even more so

Message 82 of 91
latest reply

Respect your sellers, period.  Without your sellers you have no business.  (not tagging anyone: if eBay was bright enough to listen I wouldn't need to be say it.  ) 

I've been at it nearly 18 years, so I don't have the 20-year whine credit.   I'm going to close my store  this year at least if not stop selling.  The numbers don't work any more. 

One telling minor detail: once upon a time they used to mail out a useless certificate when you reached a  certain level of feedback.  Then they emailed a certificate "suitable for framing" if you bothered to print it out.  Then they changed the feedback system so now no one gets enough to move up to the next level.  I have no way to know if they still email them, and will probably never earn enough feedback to find out.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 83 of 91
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

Respect your sellers, period.  Without your sellers you have no business.  (not tagging anyone: if eBay was bright enough to listen I wouldn't need to be say it.  ) 

Respect your buyers. Without your buyers, you have no business and no need for sellers.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 84 of 91
latest reply

One telling minor detail: once upon a time they used to mail out a useless certificate when you reached a  certain level of feedback.  Then they emailed a certificate "suitable for framing" if you bothered to print it out.  Then they changed the feedback system so now no one gets enough to move up to the next level.  I have no way to know if they still email them, and will probably never earn enough feedback to find out.  

Like this one?

IMG_9681.JPG

Message 85 of 91
latest reply

1995 is the farthest back ebay goes.

Message 86 of 91
latest reply

I still have the Ebay teeshirt they sent me in 1998 as a reward for qualifying for the new power seller program, mint shape, never worn.

Ebay wasn't as well known in those days and I didn't want to go around advertising Ebay to all the competing bidders at auctions & etc who were wondering what I did with all that oddball stuff I was buying.

Wonder if the T has any resale value

Message 87 of 91
latest reply

the "eBay people" you refer to in the context of which you posted, are nothing more than foreign aid recipients per an international trade agreement arranged by globalists and new world order crowd.  That's where OUR money through eBay is going, and has been more and more, dating back at least five years.

You can bet everything you own on that, I promise you.

Message 88 of 91
latest reply

Oh please, that is nothing. I have been here since 1977. I had to wait 6 years in a cyberspace no one knew existed just for the internet to be invented, then I had to wait patiently for another 12 years, 9 months for ebay to start! Gotta admit, I was getting a little impatient.

Message 89 of 91
latest reply

All ya have to do is watch the stock market. Then guess where will they get in my wallet this time.

What's funny is some of these ass hat's still think selling an item for .99 cents and inflating the shipping there pulling one over on FeeBay.  

I will never ever be a mega seller in my niche nor do I want 10000 listings with a copy n paste  stock photo mentality. 

FeeBay has Not forgotten where they came from.  There Board of umm trustees just don't have a clue nor care.

I'm peachy keen with the new tax law.

BUT FEEBAY adding that pain to my final value Fee.

Bull **bleep**

I sell old **bleep** and intend on selling it the honest old-fashioned way.

All I ask is for E-Bay to give me free condoms once in a while.

This Old one is wore out but I keep taking it.

That's right I **bleep**, Then I list

DansTnT

Message 90 of 91
latest reply