cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The garbage is getting deep, Ebay.

And it doesn't even look sexy.

Probably 75% -- maybe a lot more -- of the hoops Ebay forces sellers to jump through and 98% of all the busy-work and really eye-bullying pages, links and assorted garbage is unnecessary.

One has to wonder if Ebay feels insecure under the crtitical importance of its sellers that keep it afloat, and this is Ebay's way of asserting "author-o-tay". That's a question.

Every time Ebay says they're improving efficiency with "brand new looks!", they are actually destroying it. It belies an apparent lack of objective. Profits never increase when efficiency decreases. You don't have to be an MBA to realize this.

Does anyone have a clue what Ebay is trying to do?

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: The garbage is getting deep, Ebay.

@gracieallen01 wrote:

ebay could have somebody just sitting there - for minimum wage, or less with a sandwich - downloading the app 24/7/365, and someone else would be counting the stats.

Now that is just silly.

Message 46 of 63
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

@tiktakyak wrote:

The majority of users do not use mobile apps to trade on ebay.

Perhaps you can back that up.

Yeah I'd like to see that backed up too.  I love shopping from my phone...probably not a good thing as I buy too much.   I also use it for selling 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 47 of 63
latest reply

Not to sound like a smarmy know-it-all, but yes, I think I know what they are 'TRYING' to do;

they are TRYING to BE The Big A__on; eBay has lost its identity and they fear they aren't getting their share of online shopping profits, so they are running around watching everything A__on does trying desperately to morph themselves into something they just cannot become; all of this at the hefty price of single-handedly ruining the American economy; Picture this:

1) If just a few years ago, eBay had remained it's quaint, humble, unique self, it would be a place FILLED with unique, hard-to-find, rare or one-of-a-kind items; along with abundant, quality mass-produced products that people use every day; literally the world's biggest combination thrift store / flea market / swap meet / discount store / Mom and Pop online Retail store

2) the ultra-cheap, overseas-made, dime-a-dozen 'new' products with their domestic and overseas distribution hubs would not be filling page after page of search results when a Buyer is seeking a quality-built item,  bought from a domestic seller to help them get through their day

3) many of the low-to-middle-class jobless folks who were forced to become ebay sellers and sell-off their family collectibles or personal items from their garages, attics and basements would still possibly be able to eek out a meager profit to feed their families

4) When a $7.25 cent item is hit with over $4.35 in fees and costs between PP and the 'Bay, it's almost a practice in futility to continue trying to Sell here at all; 

5) All the algorithms and Structured Data in the world is not going to 'IMPROVE' this site; only forcing the management to SELL something on it in order to get a paycheck will hope to fix the trillion things wrong at this point. 

I say MAKE e'm SELL something. For 1 week; No Profit, no paycheck; we'll see some things turn around real quick then, I'd imagine. 'Cause from here, all I see day in and day out is a bunch of people running things that have no idea what it's like to actually USE the stuff they are creating. 

Message 48 of 63
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@ted_200

We are talking about 414 Million app downloads, and I doubt the amount of issues expressed here in the forum would qualify as a lot based on that many downloads.

I understand not all users with issues will report here but I also understand 100% of the users not having problems would also not report here.

Gpod Luck Selling!

I've had very few issues with the app.   I've used it for years and over the years have had a handful of issues.  I've had more issues on the computer with eBay in those same years and I don't even use it as much as the app.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 49 of 63
latest reply

@dilo-8873 wrote:

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

Oh ... and just in case you were wondering ... I don't sell "new" trendy items ... I sell glass and china and other vintage items.

Don't judge your buyers by the way YOU shop.

My husband and I are in our 50's.  We both have smartphones and tablets ... and use them constantly.

And most of our friends do too ... our friends group ages from 40's to 70's ... all have smartphones and tablets ... and use them to shop.

And, conversely, don't judge others by what you do, or know.

I'm 79 and have 4 desktops within reach, 3 laptops - which seldom have a charge, let alone are used and a couple of 'little' ones - same.  Flip phone, no smart phone.  I don't pay bills online or by phone.  My roommate - 71 - flip phone and doesn't pay bills online of by phone, either.  Very few of our friends do the mobile gig, though there are some kids in their 30's-40's who do.  Most of what we buy, is either at the store or an Antique show or a speciality site (which is getting quite rare to find anything these days).

The world is as different as there are people in it.

I'm not judging anybody... I am pointing out to the OP that there ARE lots of mobile users that aren't millennial. And that mobile is not *trendy*, but rather a fact of life for anyone in ecommerce.

We have, in this household of two 50+

1 Desktop

2 Laptops

2 Smartphones

2 Tablets

The desktop is in my office and it is where I list from and where we pay the bills from (because that is where the file cabinet is and the desk with the inbox).

But the mobile devices get more everyday use for everything else.

It actually annoys me, when I am shopping or researching on my phone or tablet, when a website is not mobile friendly.

What I am trying to say is ... any seller that disparages mobile users, or thinks that mobile is not relevant to them, is dismissing approximately 50% of their buyers (as shown in my screenshots). And ... I would think that the percentage is higher for those sellers catering to the "newest and hottest" crowd.

The app is terrible for listing or doing any seller-related tasks ... but it obviously does the job for buyers. 

We have

2 desktops

2 iPads

2 phones

just gave away 1 laptop because of lack of use 

I do everything from my iPad, list, sell, buy, pay bills, schedule payments, actually everything. The only time I boot up the desktop, and this is my own insecurity, is to print my shipping labels as I don’t want to get into a void label or different tracking number situation. Someday when I get my gutsy up (as I am frequently known to do), I will do that as well from my iPad.

The only thing ebay related I do from my phone is if I am not at home and am watching an item, or my items, or to place an occasional last minute bid.

No millennial here although I do have two millennial grandchildren. (Ahem, very young grandmother here 😉!

I have a desktop which I basically don't use at all anymore

a laptop I specifiically got for school because can't do that from the iPad 

which brings us to the iPad which I use some but it's going downhills so not much anymore

and last my phone which I basically do everything that is possible  from it.  I used to ship labels from it but my printer quit recognizing my phone for some reason so not an app issue that made me quit 

Message 50 of 63
latest reply

@paulhua3 wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

ebay could have somebody just sitting there - for minimum wage, or less with a sandwich - downloading the app 24/7/365, and someone else would be counting the stats.

Now that is just silly.

You've not noticed that the world is full of silly people, doing silly - or worse - things?  Smiley Surprised

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 51 of 63
latest reply

I have thought for a while that they are purposely trying to push sellers away with these unnecessary changes. I couldn’t care less though. I still List here.....after Ive listed on 5 other platforms.....if I still feel like it. Lots of watching. Just no sales. I feel bad for the sellers who only rely on eBay for their bill money. I make more money on my social media group in a month then I have here this year lol
Message 52 of 63
latest reply

@tiktakyak wrote:

The majority of users do not use mobile apps to trade on ebay. This is because, unlike you, they are not "trendy" and really don't think you're telling the truth. Perhaps you can back that up. tiktakyak to goodluckselling - unquote 

Couldn't it be equally  both ? In any case believing a misconception  is  much different  than telling a lie . Tulips

Message 53 of 63
latest reply

Let's stay on Topic, folks. This thread is a 'Bash eBay' thread, not a tech-savy mobile vs. desktop peacock show; 

eBay has lost their way; they've obviously hired a crew that came in a couple years ago to 'shake things up'; this resulted in the debacle we see today; how much time did they spend on these 'new look' pages? Too much--there was little wrong with the old ones; Example:

1) The Structured Data fiasco in eBay Motors is a joke; the vehicle models list had to have been created by a couple dozen 'Millenials' sitting around a table in a conference room, gulping energy drinks while chiming in on what they 'THINK' a particualr motorcycle is known as. Calling a bike a 'Shadow 750' is NOT good enough! Refer to it as the manufacturer refers to it: A 'VT750 C Shadow'; then, we won't have to scroll up and down a list of 'slang terms' for hundreds of bikes to find what we need; 

2) It's PAY TO PLAY / ALL THE WAY; Just this side of mafia-esque and payola, we have 'Promoted Listings'; in a nutshell, if you don't PAY to have your listings SEEN, they won't be SEEN at all; or at least that how it seems; with NO way to KNOW for SURE; and NO Watchdog or Overseeing Body to FORCE them to be 'FAIR', heck! Why would they allow YOUR 'FREE' listing to be seen by people? When Mega-Store-Giant-Seller-Guy has 103,234 listings with three distro hubs acorss the country and he is PAYING to have his listings SEEN across the first three long 'pages' of any Search Result imaginable; which will STOMP your puny listing into the dirt; That's here. That's now; it's sad;

3) I have lots more beef with this, but since I know no one that matters (sorry gang) are reading, I'll save it for my co-workers who are seeking shelter now...

Good Luck; Hopefully, things will get better...

-----------------------
Message 54 of 63
latest reply

Well, look who is the proudest peacock of them all--reprimanding full grown adults to stay on topic. 

How do you know whether or not someone who "matters" is reading this? That last line really does make me chuckle.........

With all the threads that have been taken down, stomped out, and monitored with helpful little hints from the moderators popping up all the time now--I would say that someone important is definitely reading...at least someone important enough to steer and sway the topics, and effectively END the discussions. And this is far more disruptive, in my humble opinion, than whatever any poster wants to say on these boards.

Message 55 of 63
latest reply

@paulhua3 wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Now that is just silly.

Which around here means believable! 

I will say they're intentionally skewing their data by offering 10% deals on mobile and 8% deals on the web - that will cause people to download and use the mobile app, even if they don't like it and don't want to ever use it again. 

They've also offered "deals" to sellers for using mobile in the past as well.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 56 of 63
latest reply

I've express this before as have others... EBAY IS NOT WHAT IT WAS! ON-LINE SHOPPING IS NOT WHAT IT WAS...

do I go on?  

times have changed...ALL on-line has changed...Companines have figured things out and are continueing to figure it out....PEOPLE/BUYERS have changed how the and where they buy...ON-LINE apps...are on the rise...

THE OLD EBAY as we all think it was when it was fun and great...HAS changed...and yes because of Amazon, but even Walmart, Costco...etc....  AND yes ebay has not done a great job changing with the times and movement....They are behide the curve.... ESTY...doing much better...but not perfect either...

ADs are where the money is....the more peolpe look and scroll and go through page after page...SEARCHING,,,,there are the ads they see...and ebay earns a lot from that...as most on-line does these days.

Has ebay changed ..yep..is the old vintage stuff and Auctions what it was? nope....people are tired of the BOTS and Sniping getting the items..... no one really wants to wait 7 days just to get sniped... so they offer or buy it now....

AS for Apps and mobil...YEP YEP...PHONES are everywhere....and increased use....by everyone!  the old days are the old days..PAST!....

whine and moan about what "ebay" is doing or not....YES bigger seller and NEW stuff is the way of the on-line world...Free shipping and returns hassle free...IS THE WAY OF THE WORLD....it is fact and it is the way it is.

When someone says without sellers Ebay is nothing.... well it is also the sellers and the "BAD ONES" who are hurting ebay too... buyer looking at stuff..make them money...even if they buy oir don't.

Look at the sellers shipping issues, return issues, fights, complaints, etc... yes Ebay some could be addresses better, BUT remember the difference is WE are the ebay...Amazon is differently set up....and that is why Amazon is a bit better and ahead on many issues.....

Ebay's seller standards...no matter what they arer...look at who is the sellers...they let anyone and everyone sell...think if you had a company would you want many of these seller as your employee?  ebay should renmove many..a lot of the **bleep**...but...easier said than done i'm sure...because no one thinks they stink...even when they do. 

just my 2 cents......

Message 57 of 63
latest reply

Since eBay is not offering custom store themes anymore, shouldn't eBay reduce the store fees since we are not getting a lot of what they offered before? The custom settings were one of the reasons they increased store fees.

Message 58 of 63
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@ted_200

We are talking about 414 Million app downloads, and I doubt the amount of issues expressed here in the forum would qualify as a lot based on that many downloads.

I understand not all users with issues will report here but I also understand 100% of the users not having problems would also not report here.

Gpod Luck Selling!

It takes a lot to push users in to a situation where you are so hopeless that you turn to the forums.

We have had problems in the past, but it was not until 5-6 months of technical issues & plummeting impressions, being passed around from dept to dept without anyone able to explain what was going on, and nobody even able to give advice on anything we could do to increase sales that we had not already attempted & tested (with evidence provided).

Even in that situation, we didn't turn to the forums.

Only once we had a problem with a supervisor who began lying to us, when we had evidence that what he was saying was not true, and then they claimed that "we were the only seller having these issues", did we join the forums here.

EBay pushed us to it, and at the time, I hoped to even find 1 seller who was experiencing the same issues.

Little did I know, that I would have dozens of sellers contacting me, and thanking me, as it seems to be VERY common. And the topic I made quickly became the most active/upvoted topic on the entire forum.

So if we're on the subject of how many sellers are here with the same issues, and what % of the sellers here are experiencing the same thing... there's not really a question of how widespread things are.

This is beyond the fact that you can look at the top seller market share in various categories and see a decline that has hit the best stores in their respective categories... 

Which, by the way, is getting harder to find evidence on, as eBay has recently changed Terapeak so that you now must have to pay the $200+ subscription in order to see 12 months ago or earlier. This is a very recent change.

So much for the claims eBay made in their announcement that they acquired Terapeak, when they said this was in order to bring this information in to eBay directly. In reality, not only are they DECREASING the amount of statistics available on eBay (the opposite of what they said they would do), they are also making it harder to get that information in Terapeak.

Message 59 of 63
latest reply

I find how time consuming listing has become the most frusterating part.  What is with the pop up ads and the frequent auto changes to my ads?  

In an ideal world, ebay would torch its chinese vendors who sell garbage and move them to a new site.  Whats actually happening is most resellers are moving to other apps and taking thier money elsewhere too.  I have stopped buying anything new or from china on ebay.  Its always a losing deal. But I buy used on here and I recommended it to friends until today.  Holy ouch the new listing format sucks.  Its like an enlivened list of things I tell new selling peeps NOT to do.  Hopefully they change it back or make it less booby trappy.

Message 60 of 63
latest reply